• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Hakuoki DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The American Average

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote
this anime fell off my radar guess I'll check up on this. sounds like a solid show for the most part
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
First dubbed episode streaming for free @ TheAnimeNetwork if anyone wants to sample

http://www.theanimenetwork.com/Anime/Hakuoki-Demon-of-the-Fleeting-Blossom-Season-1/Capital-of-Snowflakes/Watch
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm a guy and I'll admit, I originally got into because I'm a history fanatic. Stayed because I actually really liked it.

Quote:
− Centers on a weak female character

I saw the anime prior to ever reading and playing the original material so when they finally got the second OP, I was actually hoping Chizuru would be of some use.

spoiler[ Alas, I was wrong. ]
Okita is still my favorite character though. For both his ending in the original game and for the anime.

spoiler[ I got teary eyed during his ending. One of the only three times I've had tears due to a fictional work. Stuff was just so sad and at the same time, so heartwarming. ]

Overall, I highly recommend the series (and the PSP release) to anybody who likes that era and wants a different take on it. The romance stuff is actually kept to a minimum until the near the end of both if I'm recalling correctly. Even then, it works.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I saw the first episode of this last week and for one obvious reason, I found it very hard to take seriously. Such as: How did Shinpachi become a member of the Shinsengumi anyway? Oh and what happened to his glasses? Yes, I know this fictional work is more "accurate" than that fictional work but I can't help but make connections like "Kondo's still as useless yet nice here, too".

The only other impression I got from it was there was a lot of guys yet it didn't feel like a reverse harem because the girl has no presence. Beyond that, it's as flavorless as ice flavored ice cream.

Sentai dubbed this and not [blank], what a waste {On the other hand, they do seem more confident in their male actors over their females ones}. I'll still watch it, maybe, as it's only a 20 minutes a week. My expectations are low as I kept wondering in and out of the room as the first episode was playing yet still didn't miss anything.

Action, drama, suspense, comedy are hallmarks you'll find in most animes but not here.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:42 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I saw the first episode of this last week and for one obvious reason, I found it very hard to take seriously. Such as: How did Shinpachi become a member of the Shinsengumi anyway?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagakura_Shinpachi

re. review:

Unfortunately, I have to agree that Chizuru is not very interesting at all, but that kind of heroine seems to be quite common in otome game adaptations. That being said, I think this one is better than most of the others I have seen. The Sinsengumi characters are fairly well developed and consistent with the personalities depicted in the game.

It is really devoid of fanservice other than the character designs, even more-so than the game.

It seems to be following the Hijikata arc from the game, and doesn't really bring the emotional impact that the game does. I should really say "visual novel" because that is what it really is.... in any case the source material really gives you a complete sense of the characters when you follow their particular path. My personal favorite was the Saito story, where a lot of emphasis was placed on his
spoiler[personal worldview and feelings of increasing irrelevancy in the face of modernized warfare.].

Though the story had a lot of emotional impact, it surprised me at how little "romance" is in the visual novel. There seems to be even less in the anime.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:39 am Reply with quote
The more I read this the more it sounded like Samurai Shamploo.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:20 am Reply with quote
Pretty solid show, considering it's about vampire/sexy-hunks and a flimsy main female lead.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Is this just another male harem with a female lead romance anime?

If it see, I'll pass. Out of all the female aimed shows they could've picked up, why not a shojo with a male lead. At least that way, both genders can enjoy it without putting up with a generic male harem female.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:

If it see, I'll pass. Out of all the female aimed shows they could've picked up, why not a shojo with a male lead. At least that way, both genders can enjoy it without putting up with a generic male harem female.

As people have told you many times, its because they aren't as financially viable as reverse harems are. "Both genders" aren't going to like yaoi titles, they're made for girls who like to see guys get it on with eachother. Gay guys are generally more into the Bara stuff than bishounen pretty boys.

Plus, this anime is popular enough to get an officially released version of the original visual novel in America, so it was a no brainer they'd pick this one up for anime release.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:00 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Vata Raven wrote:

As people have told you many times, its because they aren't as financially viable as reverse harems are. "Both genders" aren't going to like yaoi titles, they're made for girls who like to see guys get it on with eachother. Gay guys are generally more into the Bara stuff than bishounen pretty boys.

Plus, this anime is popular enough to get an officially released version of the original visual novel in America, so it was a no brainer they'd pick this one up for anime release.

I'm not talking about BL titles, here. There are SHOJO titles with male leads, X is a good example and Betrayal Knows My Name is another one. And I see the poor ass ratings this anime has gotten on ANN, Sentai could've picked up a better female targeted anime to dub.

And FYI, how many BL titles do you know of where they show them having sex? Not many, unless it's 18+ and it's still 50/50 if they're going to show anything. People are homophobic in this world. Hell, their are guys that refuse to watch No.6 because they've been told the two leads kiss. Oh, so I guess if two guys kiss, that means a guy won't watch it.
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I hadn't heard of this series befor today - I'm really impressed that so many people are so familiar with the series - further that it's been released. It sounds like something I'd nominally enjoy - Shinsengumi, monsters - though, I suppose the female lead sounds irritating. Then again, it does sound like the show is ok overall. These reviews nearly always make me want to see a show if I haven't heard of it befor - I do tend to like Anime based on this type of videogame though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1