• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Viz Debuts Neon Alley

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hojo 360

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:06 am Reply with quote
and so far its been epic^^
Toriko36

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:06 am Reply with quote
Apologies if this has been discussed prior, but is there a reason why Neon alley is only english dubbed? Is this a license/distributor restriction or possibly Viz believes that having english dubbed anime will bring in more viewers?

If there was an option to switch between english dubbed and original japanese with english subtitles, that would be amazing.

Either way, this is a great concept and I wish Viz great success and hope it brings in more revenue for them and raises a ton of awareness for new and existing fans of anime.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:36 am Reply with quote
Toriko36 wrote:
Apologies if this has been discussed prior, but is there a reason why Neon alley is only english dubbed? Is this a license/distributor restriction or possibly Viz believes that having english dubbed anime will bring in more viewers?

It's a little bit more of the latter. Or rather, having english audio only on their channel will help make things more exclusive on Neon Alley due to the fact that every show that is or will be on Neon Alley is already available in Japanese with subtitles on their Viz Anime website.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:36 am Reply with quote
hojo 360 wrote:
and so far its been epic^^

Agreed. I just signed up yesterday. Do you think we could start a thread in the anime section?
Twage

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:23 pm Reply with quote
If I'm paying for a service like this I want it to be on-demand. There's no reason for it to be programmed unless it's free and includes ads. I suspect it will eventually be forced to go one of those two routes.
O-chan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Toriko36 wrote:

It's a little bit more of the latter. Or rather, having english audio only on their channel will help make things more exclusive on Neon Alley due to the fact that every show that is or will be on Neon Alley is already available in Japanese with subtitles on their Viz Anime website.

I also get the distinct impression NA is almost a kneejerk reaction to Toonami since everytime I look at the schedule I think "So this is where the other half of Toonami went to!"

Also, many of the series on this channel already have up-to-date subtitled streams on Viz, Funimation, Crunchyroll, and Hulu. The dub premieres before DVD/Blu-ray releases seems to be the main incentive here.

O-chan
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:33 pm Reply with quote
O-chan wrote:
The dub premieres before DVD/Blu-ray releases seems to be the main incentive here.

+1

Not that it's a bad thing, I love Neon Alley, just wish I had a router for my PS3, and the $6.99.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1