• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight Fall 2012 - The List

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:31 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Slight tangent here, but actually, excluding duplicates from reviewing multiple volumes of the same series, you've given out A+ scores 4 times. Story for Koi Kaze, Music for Princess Tutu, Art for Gankutsuou, and Art (and Animation) for Karas: The Revelation.

Hunh, I'd totally forgotten about Karas. I was, indeed, referring to Gankutsuou; although the CG and visual effects were utterly spectacular, I eventually came to find the artistry in the base character designs to be a turn-off. An A+ rating doesn't tolerate any flaws in my judgment.

And dtm42: Though I disagree with how you rank some of those titles relative to each other, your lists for top titles from those years and mine do substantially overlap. (I'd say that you're missing Claymore from 2006-2007, but I'll admit I'm rather biased on that one.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:07 am Reply with quote
Well, I only rated Claymore as Decent because of all its flaws so it just missed the cut.

To explain; my spreadsheet lists all the titles I've seen in a given season/quarter that I rated Good or better. Then I give the titles points based on their rating. Masterpiece is worth eight points, Excellent is worth four points, Very Good is worth two points and Good is worth one point. I do this because I feel great shows should be highly regarded, and making a Masterpiece worth (for example) one Excellent, one Very Good and two Good shows is intended to reflect that. If anything I am tempted to make each rank three times better than the one before it (instead of the current two times), but I want to think about it some more.

Anyway, Kino's Journey is worth eight points, PlanetES is worth four, Kamisama Dolls is worth two and Figure 17 is worth one. I add up all the points in a given season to find that season's score, and I add the seasonal scores to find the yearly score. I don't include titles below Good because I believe a season's quality is not influenced by how many mediocre or bad titles a season had, only the number of good titles. Unfortunately, this means that a show like Claymore gets zero points and is unable to help its season out points-wise. It isn't even on the spreadsheet in the first place.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:47 am Reply with quote
These idol shows are starting to remind me of the variations on Transforming robot toy in the 80's. But the description of Aikatsu doesn't so much come off as Go-Bots as it does Convertors or Zy-bots.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:08 am Reply with quote
well, i enjoyed AKB0048 a lot more than i thought i would, so i guess i will give Aikatsu a chance
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:24 am Reply with quote
Did anyone else think of Jem when they saw the logo for Aikatsu!? The kana for Aikatsu even sorta looks like the word Jem.

[emotion=keanureeves]Woah.[/emotion]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:38 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Did anyone else think of Jem when they saw the logo for Aikatsu!? The kana for Aikatsu even sorta looks like the word Jem.

[emotion=keanureeves]Woah.[/emotion]

huh..I didn't notice that until now however I might actually watch this simple shojo series. Hell I liked shugo chara, yumeiro patissiere as well and this series is giving me the same vibe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Magi looks amazing, now that's something I'm looking forward to. I'm crazy about the Arabian nights and the story sounds fun and cool. I hope it doesn't disappoint.

Aikatsu looks like fun and I'm attracted to the brithg colors but I might have too many shows on my plate as of now (my schedule barely allows for 7-9 shows per season and I'm already dragging SAO, Shirokuma, Omega and Fairy Tail) so I guess I'll pass and wait to marathon it if the reactions to it are positive
rheiders

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:16 am Reply with quote
Looking forward to Magi, definitely^^ It'll be interesting to see how they adapt those stories, and the animation looks pretty good.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:54 am Reply with quote
I hope to make Magi one of the fall shows I'll watch, if I have the time to set aside for it. /so many other things to do with my free time~/

But.... now, I'm usually not such a stickler for this kind of thing.... but why in the heck doesn't a single one of the main cast at least have a bit of a dark tint to their skin? They're all so pasty white, especially if some of them are more or less supposed to be street urchins.

Then again, Aladdin has blue hair, so that probably wouldn't look as good on tan skin. (But still!)
maaya

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:21 am Reply with quote
looks like beauty ideals prevailing over logic.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:48 am Reply with quote
Holy crap, that cast list for Magi is amazing. I'm definitely checking this one out.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:30 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
I hope to make Magi one of the fall shows I'll watch, if I have the time to set aside for it. [...]

But.... now, I'm usually not such a stickler for this kind of thing.... but why in the heck doesn't a single one of the main cast at least have a bit of a dark tint to their skin? They're all so pasty white, especially if some of them are more or less supposed to be street urchins.

Not to mention that Morgiana comes from the Dark Continent yet is more pale than Aladdin and Ali Baba.

It would have made more sense if they had said she and Ali Baba (with Blonde hair) came from some Central European country. :/ But, since this obviously is supposed to be a Shonen anime with "Arabian Nights" cosplay, I will let it slide.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:33 am Reply with quote
I haven't read all the nights, particularly the Aladdin ones, but the plot as presented isn't ringing any bells.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:58 am Reply with quote
Why does Aladdin seem to have his chest taped?
I had seen that promo picture before I read what it was for and thought "spunky tomboy loli magical girl, huh?"
And Alibaba really looks like a girl in that profile picture

It does look promising though. Good staff, possibly fun adventures.
opn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Magi - Really looking forward to the anime since i love the manga and has become one of my favorites. And the anime looks very good with a god tier seiyuu cast. I'm also really looking forward too little busters,psycho pass and gintama 3. See a couple pages back for the full list Razz .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 36 of 39