• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
JManga is now offering Kodansha titles

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:18 am Reply with quote
http://www.jmanga.com/features/feature-kodansha-comes-to-jmanga

Woooot. Looks like they're going to be continuing some of the series Del Rey/ Kodansha USA dropped.

Right now, they're listing Pumkin Scissors, School Rumble, Pastel, Princess Resurrection, and Yagyu Ninja Scrolls.

Maybe this is what Kodansha's gonna do with all those series they didn't revive from Del Rey?
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:37 am Reply with quote
aw man, im still hoping they put pumpkin scissors out in print, i really wanted that one.

Sad
Genet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:43 am Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
aw man, im still hoping they put pumpkin scissors out in print, i really wanted that one.

Sad

I'm patiently waiting for the day they might announce a PoD option for their titles. Fingers crossed.

I think they could, but I wonder if they have to establish themselves more before they did something like that?
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:04 am Reply with quote
well they've been quite good so far in regards to what they're putting out and fixing a bit of the damaged caused by the merger. They reprinted early volumes of fairy tail and are doing reprints of later volumes of parasyte and did more negima and genshiken.

What i need em to do is reprint pumpkin scissors and continue it, finish off suzuka and reprint mushishi.
LKK

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:30 am Reply with quote
I want the final volume of Ghost Hunt! Preferably in print. But if JManga is the only way to get it, then I'll take that as well.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:51 am Reply with quote
I just couldnt pay for digital manga. If tokyopop had done all digital manga and id bought them Id have lost alot of books when they died a death. Too little control over the fate of your books.
Genet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:52 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
I just couldnt pay for digital manga. If tokyopop had done all digital manga and id bought them Id have lost alot of books when they died a death. Too little control over the fate of your books.

Though I completely agree (It's absolutely ridiculous that you can't have complete ownership for something you pay for) I have a JManga account, and I support series I'm interested in. It's not very much money for each one, I get to read manga that would probably otherwise not be available in English, and they're drumming up business.

I guess what I'm saying is that my hope is that by supporting them, they might be able to, in the future, expand their options to include print releases. I hate digital, too, but this is how it is for the time being.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:04 pm Reply with quote
thats fine but i just dont want to support it, i just buy book stuff and will continue to do so. I mean yeah they have sun-ken-rock and i want to read it but I got alot of stuff to get and I cant justify it to myslef to get any digital manga.

I understand the apeal of it to some folk as space is a luxury some folk just dont have
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Ghost Hunt! Please let this mean we'll finally get the last volume. GHOOOOST HUUUUUNT!
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:32 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
thats fine but i just don't want to support it, i just buy book stuff and will continue to do so. I mean yeah they have sun-ken-rock and i want to read it but I got alot of stuff to get and I can't justify it to myslef to get any digital manga.

I understand the apeal of it to some folk as space is a luxury some folk just don't have

The appeal for me is that

1) Manga is ridiculously cheap there, even for digital stuff.
2) I don't read scanlations, so this is literally the only legal option for a lot of series I like.
3) They keep giving out free points! Heck yeah I'll use free points to get free legal copies of stuff I want to read. o_o

It's not even about "supporting them" at this point. I haven't actually paid for points since last spring, and I still have 2400 in my account just from paying attention to when they offer "free points for tweets" things. Where else will offer you ~$5 just to tweet an advertisement for something you're already excited about? (no seriously, if anyone knows a place, I will totally become a spambot xD)

I would love it if they picked up all of my series that have been hiatus'd by publishers. Gimme Gakuen Alice, Genju no Seiza, and Dazzle! Gimme Cantarella and Bastard!!. No one else seems to want them. :/
LKK

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote
ZepysGirl wrote:
Ghost Hunt! Please let this mean we'll finally get the last volume. GHOOOOST HUUUUUNT!

I posted my Ghost Hunt plea to JManga's Facebook page & they said thanks for the suggestion and that they'd look into it. If you have a FB account, why don't you go echo my suggestion and let them know it's not just me who wants GH?
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm not quite sure how to feel on this. I'm very much a collector and I love physical copies, so I'm very resistant to paying for digital. But, if these titles are on JManga, that says to me that there's pretty much zero chance of them being continued in print. I'll probably just continue my current practice of buying the Japanese versions and then getting scans, although I'll start giving this serious consideration. Still, as has been pointed out, if JManga folds, all the manga I paid for is gone. When TP folded, they didn't get to come into my house and remove all their manga from my shelves.
Genet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
I'm not quite sure how to feel on this. I'm very much a collector and I love physical copies, so I'm very resistant to paying for digital. But, if these titles are on JManga, that says to me that there's pretty much zero chance of them being continued in print. I'll probably just continue my current practice of buying the Japanese versions and then getting scans, although I'll start giving this serious consideration. Still, as has been pointed out, if JManga folds, all the manga I paid for is gone. When TP folded, they didn't get to come into my house and remove all their manga from my shelves.

I buy Japanese releases, too, if something I like isn't in print here. It's a good option (esp. if you can read enough Japanese).

I think that if people want printed copies from them, they need to make some noise in support of a print-on-demand option. Let them know you want physical copies of the titles they're offering. I have Japanese editions of some of them, myself, but having them in English would be great, too.

But the uncertainty thing is a legitimate issue. I would probably freak out if they folded. ._.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:36 am Reply with quote
LKK wrote:
ZepysGirl wrote:

I posted my Ghost Hunt plea to JManga's Facebook page & they said thanks for the suggestion and that they'd look into it. If you have a FB account, why don't you go echo my suggestion and let them know it's not just me who wants GH?

Thanks for letting me know! I just did.
MrXarnus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:07 am Reply with quote
Genet wrote:
Sailor S wrote:

I buy Japanese releases, too, if something I like isn't in print here. It's a good option (esp. if you can read enough Japanese).

I think that if people want printed copies from them, they need to make some noise in support of a print-on-demand option. Let them know you want physical copies of the titles they're offering. I have Japanese editions of some of them, myself, but having them in English would be great, too.

But the uncertainty thing is a legitimate issue. I would probably freak out if they folded. ._.

I already e-mailed them 3 times to look into POD, but no, they say they have more important projects. Good job losing me as a buyer, a****les
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5