• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Flowers & Bees

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote
You'd be right about that,Mr. Thompson. I've never read this manga,but from what I can tell,you think that Moyoco Anno could be the Japanese manga artist version of Dr. Ruth Westhimer. But,I don't think Dr. Ruth would be quite as rough on the lovelorn as Mrs. Anno seems to be.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I find Moyoco Anno's works (not really counting the Rune one) fascinating because to me they show a side of feminist Japan you rarely ever see in manga. The relationship problems for the Happy Mania are over-exaggerated a lot, but when you get down to it, it was an unhindered truth of what a lot of women go through. We're not all prim and proper little girls who blush at the mention of sex like most shoujo manga would have a reader think. Typically this is just we as women trying to live up to the patriarchal expectations of the world, when really deep inside, sometimes we're just as bad as the guys.

It's because of this seemingly un-limited view of female sexuality Anno portrays in her manga that I love her work. It stands out in the US market, and if Japan has more Moyoco Annos I want to get my hands on their work.

So because of this i'm always happy to see her work highlighted in reviews.
Myaow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Moyoco Anno is the best! I haven't read this one, but now I want to check it out and see how Anno, who is SUCH a woman's woman, can craft a series for dudes!
Hellfish

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:20 am Reply with quote
I feel really sad that I missed this manga Sad Really, really sad as I love Moyoco Anno Sad It sounds like great stuff.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:44 am Reply with quote
Yet another Moyoco Anno manga that I must wander around the Internet to purchase. Darn it.

I love the idea of 'torturing' a guy to work for a woman's affections but not quite getting what he wants; my kind of story~
Wink

Can't wait until next week's Manga.
ElectricDork

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:19 am Reply with quote
I picked up all seven volumes of Flowers & Bees sometime around 2005, thrilled that I'd found an unconventional seinen romantic comedy that I could place on my bookshelf next to another of my favourites, Dance Till Tomorrow.

It can be an uncomfortable read, though, because it really is mean-spirited at times. Well, all the time. Even so, I can't help but be amused at (and, as a former totally un-hip and romantically clueless teenage boy, relate to) Komatsu's plight. I love Anno's vicious sense of humour.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1