• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Release Panty & Stocking on BD in December

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjapet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I remember Jamie saying at Anime midwest how much extra stuff they recorded but couldn't put on the DVD release due to something dealing with the DVD rights and how it could only be on a Bluray release.

So picking up the Bluray copy, apparently all the outtakes and commentary they recorded is really funny so it's going to be worth it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I guess the lesson learned is: don't buy the DVDs, just wait.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
This is so totally bought.

That's true, this is coming much faster than I expected.

ninjapet wrote:
I remember Jamie saying at Anime midwest how much extra stuff they recorded but couldn't put on the DVD release due to something dealing with the DVD rights and how it could only be on a Bluray release.

So picking up the Bluray copy, apparently all the outtakes and commentary they recorded is really funny so it's going to be worth it.

Awesome. Those should be fantastic and hilarious. Smile
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I am surprised no one has bad mouthed Funimation yet for pulling this crap. Really? a BD release 5 months after a DVD release...On a positive note, a suppose R1 costumers are apparently willing to double dip for anime they really like.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Why does Funimation keep doing this? couldn't have they just waited to release it when they were able to put the BD on the market?

Or is this just a way for them to weasel more money out of the fans?
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:

Why does Funimation keep doing this? couldn't have they just waited to release it when they were able to put the BD on the market?

Perhaps;
1) They didn't have the Blu-Ray license for whatever reason
or
2) who they licensed it from imposed restrictions onto when they could release it.

At least extras are being included which I'd say, with a show like this, more than makes up for it.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I knew the complaining was gonna start fast...and it has. I don't know why it's so hard for people to just deal with DVDs if they just HAVE to have the show right away, or wait for the Bluray if it's that important to you. If you already got the DVD, then you could just sit with those instead of double dipping if it's just going to make you moan and groan about it...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Very glad I won't have to double-dip on this as I didn't buy the DVD.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:13 pm Reply with quote
People are going to moan because surely FUNi must have been told how long they'd have to wait to release a US BD version.
For 5 months, they could have just waited.
Instead, they took the easy option of releasing the DVD first, making out it wasn't their fault and that a BD release was unlikely, meaning people were sapped into buying the DVDs.
Thankfully, I just skip DVD-only releases these days, as sooner or later, BDs WILL be released.
Kenpachi 91

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:25 pm Reply with quote
If I know Japan has BDs for anime, I'll wait until the US gets the BD as well. Not going to waste money on DVDs. I almost bought Black Lagoon on DVD, until I found out Japan had BDs. So I decided to wait (much longer than 5 months fyi) and now it's just a month a way. If you want BDs, just wait as long as its needed people. Don't give in to buying DVDs, unless of course you don't have a BD player
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I am surprised no one has bad mouthed Funimation yet for pulling this crap. Really? a BD release 5 months after a DVD release...

Nobody's badmouthing FUNi because we all were badmouthing Kadokawa back when this was an apparent issue.
mastertr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I recall hearing in an episode of ANNCast with the CEO of RightStuf (2009) that Japanese licensors are being very strict with Bluray releases because of the region being the same with US and Japan. Blame it on the Japanese importing the US releases for cheaper or something else, but it is most likely entirely out of Funimation (or any other US licensor for that matter)'s hands. The licensors of these shows are putting time-limits or in certain cases, outright bans on bluray releases in the contracts. It'll probably change overtime, but to answer your initial question, it isn't Funimation weasling money out of fans and making them wait. It's the licensors.
jree78

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Yeah and this is why I didn't buy the dvds for Panty and Stocking and I immediately bought the Steins;Gate Blu rays. Haven't bought Heaven's lost property forte, preordered the blu rays. Not buying Deadman Wonderland and Is this a Zombie until the blu rays come out. That's my opionion.

If the Japanese are so worried about reverse importation, then they should expand putting subtitles on their limited edition blu rays. Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere has Sentai/Crunchyroll subtitles on them word for word, people who want them can buy them there must be at least 6,000 people in the rest of the world who would import the blu rays. More money from over seas would come in, and less worries for reverse importation, the easier to get blu rays on our regular shows. Streams on Crunchyroll would promote the show and people would buy it.

Last edited by jree78 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote
jree78 wrote:
Yeah and this is why I didn't buy the dvds for Panty and Stocking and I immediately bought the Steins;Gate Blu rays. Haven't bought Heaven's lost property forte, preordered the blu rays. Not buying Deadman Wonderland and Is this a Zombie until the blu rays come out. That's my opionion.

If the Japanese are so worried about reverse importation, then they should expand putting subtitles on their limited edition blu rays. Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere has Sentai/Crunchyroll subtitles on them word for word, people who want them can buy them there must be at least 6,000 people in the rest of the world who would import the blu rays. More money from over seas would come in, and less worries for reverse importation. Streams on Crunchyroll would promote the show and people would buy it.

They would still need to get over their fears of domestic Blurays too though, because not everyone is going to be willing to pay the insane Japanese Bluray prices, on top of S&H that would cost an arm and a leg probably, to get a series that way - especially not the shorter titles. I know I wouldn't.

Then again, even when I do have Bluray capability, I'll be getting DVDs 9 times out of 10 simply because they're cheaper, and that leaves me with more cash to work with other things.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:04 pm Reply with quote
mastertr wrote:
I recall hearing in an episode of ANNCast with the CEO of RightStuf (2009) that Japanese licensors are being very strict with Bluray releases because of the region being the same with US and Japan. Blame it on the Japanese importing the US releases for cheaper or something else, but it is most likely entirely out of Funimation (or any other US licensor for that matter)'s hands. The licensors of these shows are putting time-limits or in certain cases, outright bans on bluray releases in the contracts. It'll probably change overtime, but to answer your initial question, it isn't Funimation weasling money out of fans and making them wait. It's the licensors.

Oh, I know about restriction. Point is, there were curtain titles I know for a fact they have BD rights to, but Funimation was forced to wait to put them on hold or deal with BD.

Here is were I think Funimation is screwing over the fans. Panty & Stocking is an example. They put out the DVD in July, but they could've waited another 6 months to put it out in a combo pack (like they would normally do). But instead of waiting, they just hurry up and put the DVD on the market. Just would've been better if they waited, instead of wasting money on a release a 2nd rate release and putting something on the market that most people didn't really want.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4