• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: JManga Site Adds Kodansha Titles

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
If this means they'll eventually finished off a few titles I've been dying to read, i.e. School Rumble and Pastel, I may finally subscribe.
StormSky92

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote
If they pick up and complete Alive: The Final Evolution I will become a member in a heartbeat.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Well that's fairly useless. Why only release stuff that has already been released in superior physical form? If they're gonna commit to releasing everything from School Rumble, Pastel, and Princess Resurrection, then great. I just hope it's not a case of "Well, we didn't get enough buys for the first 8 volumes, so we're not going to continue it". Yeah, I have no reason to really think that's what's gonna happen, just getting my bitching out of the way now so I can say they brought the rest out because of me Razz
la_contessa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:15 pm Reply with quote
njprogfan wrote:
If this means they'll eventually finished off a few titles I've been dying to read, i.e. School Rumble and Pastel, I may finally subscribe.

Me too. I have zero desire to read manga on my computer, but I have a strong desire to read the rest of School Rumble without having to carry my kanji dictionary on the train. It's definitely one of my favorite series.
partially

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Well its all well and good they are picking up more stuff, but I also wish they would keep at their former stuff too. Apart from the bestselling titles, a lot of the smaller ones have been languishing for many months with no updates since they were first released. For example Hitohira that was released on the site last October, a year now with zero updates. They have 3 volumes available, all of which had been previously translated by Aurora anyway.

Hardly makes me trust their system. It makes me think a lot of these titles they pick up that were formerly published in english but got axed are going to suffer the same fate. They release the volumes that have already been translated to make a quick buck, and move onto something else.

Last edited by partially on Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
taraterrrific

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Please finish School Rumble....that's all I ask ;A;
BonnKansan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:13 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:
Well its all well and good they are picking up more stuff, but I also wish they would keep at their former stuff too. Apart from the bestselling titles, a lot of the smaller ones have been languishing for many months with no updates since they were first released.

Well, if you want more of a series, make your voice heard! Tell people here or elsewhere about why it's worth reading - a good recommendation can help people take the plunge. For example, that Hitohira series you mentioned looks like a fun one from reading the preview, but it wouldn't have gotten my attention otherwise.

Also try contacting JManga directly to let them know you'd like more. If enough people ask they might make it a higher priority to continue that series. No guarantees, and it may depend on the author or original publisher, but it certainly couldn't hurt.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I have books one 1-7 of princess resurrection sitting on my shelf at home and even own the anime by Sentai-filmworks and would love to see the other 8-18 books listed on amazon.co.jp listed and would think about it. But del-rey skipped out on releases so much like moon phase released by Tokyo pop where I have books 1-12 and know as well from the Japanese web site it gets to volume 15 and would have ended naturally. I will be forever left with two collections with no ending.
So unless they announce future release of any said titles I really do not see the point of collecting manga you can not own a copy of as a collector.

here is to future hope that the rest of either title gets a proper release state side.

but I will not hold my breath.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:27 pm Reply with quote
njprogfan wrote:

They'll surely do so if the first volumes sell well.

I'm on haitus at JManga because their next yuri title after Kimino Taminara Shineru turned out to be YuruYuri, which is not really my cup of tea, but I'm on their email newsletter list and watching for what's coming up next.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:29 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
njprogfan wrote:

They'll surely do so if the first volumes sell well.

What I should have said, "...dying to finally finish reading..." I already have all the volumes printed, so for me to pay for the volumes already printed I would think twice. I know this would be a lot to ask for, but if they're looking to see how a particular series is selling starting with the first volume I don't know if I'm willing to pay double just to see if they're going to go beyond say Pastel 14, (the last volume Del Rey printed). To me, it's like a gamble. Sure, if I had oodles of cash sitting around I'd do it in a heartbeat, it's worth the gamble, but unfortunately I don't. Heck, there's so many series that I got burned on by reading from the beginning; the two mentioned above, Kurohime, Strawberry 100%, Moonphase, Asu no Yoichi, Fujoshi Rumi, and on and on....it seems like a no-brainer to subscribe, but I'm worried even a site like JManga may pull the rug out from under me too. And I hate to say it, but the illegal manga sites seem to be the only way to finish off certain series, but I'm willing to cough up the cash if these series and others will be somehow guaranteed to be finished. I know that's a longshot, but there's just so much extra cash I have to spend.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quote
StormSky92 wrote:
If they pick up and complete Alive: The Final Evolution I will become a member in a heartbeat.

Same. I'm DYING to own the rest of the volumes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1