• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Negima's Akamatsu Discusses Next Work With Shōnen Magazine

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Akamatsu-sensei and Kodansha are getting along again? Good for all of us Smile
burnpsy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
The tweet actually does not state which magazine's editors he's talking with anywhere, just that he's talking with editors from a magazine.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Part of me is hoping for Negima 2.0, but I know I shouldn't get my hopes up.
flackenstien

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Please be a Negima continuation.
After the Magical World Arc, there still needs to be another arc for spoiler[Negi to go save his dad, and not to mention save planet Mars (regardless of if they still put Asuna to sleep for 100 years or not).]-----------------------------------------------------------------
I could see spoiler[them putting Asuna to sleep, then Negi works on the space elevator for the duration of a mini-arc, then after a time skip he gathers a select group of comrades to go save/kill his dad.]
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Let me guess: It'll be about a nerdy guy with glasses who is suddenly the object of every other female's affection. There will be a bitchy girl who is the female lead, a shy purple-haired girl that has a crush on him, an energetic happy-girl that's friends with the female lead, and an emotionless samurai girl.

I swear if I'm right, then Akamatsu is officially the Seth MacFarlane of Manga. To be fair, at least Negima wasn't filled with domestic abuse, so maybe he'll get rid of his cliches one step at a time.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
I swear if I'm right, then Akamatsu is officially the Seth MacFarlane of Manga. To be fair, at least Negima wasn't filled with domestic abuse, so maybe he'll get rid of his cliches one step at a time.

Domestic abuse, overt child abuse, cheesy pop culture flashbacks, absurd situations that didn't fit the setting, dumb characters, racisim, patriotism, and so on and so on......
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

Domestic abuse, overt child abuse, cheesy pop culture flashbacks, absurd situations that didn't fit the setting, dumb characters, racisim, patriotism, and so on and so on......

It was more of a stab at their tendancies to reuse archetypes for their shows. Rumiko Takahashi does that a lot too.
Katsukasu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:23 am Reply with quote
burnpsy wrote:
The tweet actually does not state which magazine's editors he's talking with anywhere, just that he's talking with editors from a magazine.

He's stating that he's talking to "Magajin Henshû-bu" マガジン編集部. Weekly Shônen Magazine usually is only called "Magajin", simply to the Weekly Jump often being only called "Jump". If it was just some random Manga Magazine, he would probably be writing "Mangazasshi" 漫画雑誌 instead.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:39 am Reply with quote
It'd be pretty funny if he kills two birds with one stone by continuing Negima by creating a new series out of the pilot side story he did at the end of the the series.

It'd really save world building time, after all.

I've read Negima as a parody since the action parts began so it's not as if the ending bothered me. In fact, I thought it was particularly brilliant, an inversion of the idea that "It's not the destination, it's the journey." Go figure, it's the destination after all.

But I do wonder how Akamatsu felt abut having to frame it that way; He put a lot of creative energy into even before it started and and his selfimage on the article page is somewhat how I pictured him after reading the conclusion. Like he was playing and just had to throw away his favorite toy because his parents were too strict...
sburstall

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:55 am Reply with quote
I would love it if he redid the horrible ending to Negima. It's like he did a time skip then cut it off with a dull hatchet. Nothing was ever resolved, plot-holes were so large a semi-truck could drive through it and ending that was meaningless.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:22 am Reply with quote
This guy is way too conceited

love hina was good, but they way he goes on and on about wanting to make negima his best work is getting old. how many remakes does negima need to not suck? the manga is just silly. All i ever wanted was asuka with a sword fighting other girls who were not able to win because magic didn't work on her - that's it.

I didn't want boy characters with dog ears.
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:33 am Reply with quote
I don't know if I would ever call Akamatsu-sensei conceited. To be honest, I'm very grateful to him for starting up the j-comi.jp service. I'm not going to say that I'm an apologist for him or even say that I'll necessarily enjoy this new manga. However, I do have a good deal of respect for him as an individual.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Akamatsu's next work is called The Casual Nigromancy.
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I haven't had a chance to reply to this, and I now realize that it's been quite a while. I don't want anyone to misunderstand what I'm asking, considering what the cognate of that word could be misconstrued as. That being said, is Nigromancy in context the classical term for black magic?

Just to illustrate, it was a period term and I do not mean any offense:

http://www.wordnik.com/words/nigromancy
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:41 pm Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
I haven't had a chance to reply to this, and I now realize that it's been quite a while. I don't want anyone to misunderstand what I'm asking, considering what the cognate of that word could be misconstrued as. That being said, is Nigromancy in context the classical term for black magic?

Just to illustrate, it was a period term and I do not mean any offense:

http://www.wordnik.com/words/nigromancy

Ah, someone gets it! Yep on both counts, the possible misconstrue and the meaning. Laughing

But to be clear, it's a joke. The Casual Vacancy is J.K. Rowling's next book, and since Negima is jokingly referred as "Harem Potter"...................
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2