• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Btooom! (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:40 am Reply with quote

Btooom! (TV)

Genres: action, drama, fantasy, mystery, psychological, romance, science fiction
Themes: fanservice, NEET, online computer gaming(, survival, survival game

Plot Summary: Sakamoto Ryota is an unemployed 22 year old who lives with his mother and spends his days doing nothing but playing video games. In the real world, there may be nothing special about him, but online, he's one of the world's top players of the combat game called Btooom. One day, he awakes on what appears to be a tropical island, though he has no memory of how he got there or why. While exploring the island, Ryota runs into a mysterious being who attacks him by throwing a strange looking bomb at him. Ryota then realizes that both his life is in danger, and that he has somehow become trapped in a real-life version of his favorite game. Ryota and the other "players" must now survive through the nightmare to figure out the reason why they ended up in the game in the first place.
----------------------------------

Only real comment I can think of: SAO it is not. I don't see it faring very well in the inevitable comparisons to follow.

Having said that it looks interesting enough to keep watching.

The way Sakamoto's poor mom is depicted is rather disturbing. Having a NEET for a kid must be hell.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:02 am Reply with quote
so watching this so this case of combine survivor + battle royale + mirai nikki + explosion bombs = btooom!

give this focus on ryuta is top gamer on it give his mom concern of future yea really someone call therapy for them?

one day on a island now survive now have fight bomb to make it all go tick tick boom to survive hey at least see blonde doobi female.

oh well might as see how far it goes?
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:55 am Reply with quote
I can already tell, this show is going to be a blast.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:33 am Reply with quote
I should not like this show, the dark creepyness, with the main character being twisted in some way, with a semi Light Yagami feel, kind of reminds me of Bunny and Tiger which dropped, and I knew I would drop that. But I liked the first episode, the game turn into real life thing actually sounds interesting, and I might continue. Having played a number of shooters, at one time spending quite a bit of time playing Halo 3 online. I feel slightly disturbed at how I could be drawn with a game, and the thought of being drafted because of it seems to connect.

Like how when you play a game you don't dehumanise the other players, but I wonder what would happen if I was thrown into it. I did not know the story, but within seconds I was able to tell it was a video game, it seemed to have something that felt familiar in it. I also could easilly tell that when he spoiler[jumped off he left one on the cliff,that other guy was seriously an idiot], any gamer would been able to see it comming.

Waiting to see what the deal with the girl is, seems to be implied that she has some dark past.
underlock

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:16 am Reply with quote
I really wanna drop this, but I'm still curious about the other characters. Hopefully they won't focus on this guy for too long. How in the world would he miss a countdown? He seemed to live in that game, surely some of that expertise would flow through his actions, because that's what the brain is about. Panic would've been a good excuse, but he was pretty level-headed considering the number of tactics he came up with - albeit dumb ones. For example, his last one should have killed him had it failed, bearing in mind the range of the explosions - which is very short, or else he'd have died several times. Also didn't make much sense for the druggie-looking fellow to miss his bomb, taking into account that the beach was dark and his bomb had a green light on. I thought his bomb landing on a side facing the opposite without rolling over because of the sand was the case, but not at the speed he passed the guy. There are plausible explanations left for it, but taking the series' level of intellectuality thus far, I find any of them to be very improbable.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:26 am Reply with quote
another "oh no its reality!" anime with the dreaded psychologically twisted characters. and a dumb as a post lead.

this anime hits my not worth the bandwidth list.
jsc315

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:22 am Reply with quote
How do you make a show that has lots of explosions and action really boring. Well this show seems to do that very well. It's like they wanted to make a animated series similar to Battle Roayal but then forgot what made it entertaining and good. This series is made for someone like me. I love this kind of stuff, but it is so boring and the characters are so dumb and annoying I just want them to die already. I'll give this show another episode or 2 but if I'm not impressed I'm dropping this show fast!

I don't mind stupid silly action oriented anime. I love what Sword Art Online has done, as ridiculous as it is its fun and entertaining. Really that is all I want and for the 1st episode it has done none of the above.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:37 am Reply with quote
I have mixed feelings about the first episode; I wanted to enjoy it but something about the exposition makes me unable to enjoy it. I heard good things about the manga and I can see that this show has a premise that interests me but the way the first episode turned out is. . . There was a bit too much dialogue which hampered a little bit of my viewing experience. I'll probably stick with this show to end for that blonde chick at the end.

I noticed that I'm quite optimistic with the shows I'm viewing this season. Normally I would be quite indifferent to them.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:21 am Reply with quote
Hmm, the pilot episode reminded me of Gantz, Cage of Eden, and Psyren a bit.

As for this series, I think I'll stick to watching more of it as I'm a sucker for these type of survival game sort of genres. The fact that Himeko is present in the series is a little bonus of course. But ya, not expecting too much out of this but will be enjoying it at an entertainment level.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Sakamoto really enjoys playing that game.
It was his life, well, until things suddenly changed.
In the middle of nowhere, a priceless chance.
To play for real... boy, was he surprised.
Will give this one a try.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Only in anime does it take a guy hours (anime time) to notice that the little numbers decrementing by one are a (spoiler for those that are as slow as the protagonist) spoiler[countdown]. I don't know if him acknowledging his stupidity was a good or bad thing there.

His mother was probably the most unsettling thing; she had a Gyo vibe to her.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:00 pm Reply with quote
ZorgonXtreme wrote:
I can already tell, this show is going to be a blast.

Zing. Yep, I like it. As I said in the fall preview thread, I like the premise a lot and I'm interested to see where it all goes.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I actually just figured out the plot, it will turn out it has spoiler[nothing to do with the game (that is just a coincidence) it really is just a place that Japan sends their NEETS, the mother] planned it.
Mylene

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:45 am Reply with quote
I was pretty frustrated with the first episode. Not only is Sakamoto dumb as a post as has been mentioned, but why was the guy who was after him talking about his plans out loud all the time? That works (well, not really) for really cartoon-y villains in kids shows, but is just really lazy in a show with an older audience and that doesn't appear to be trying to be campy.

I had moments of hope with the various creepy flashes to the interactions with his mom, but I'm not too sure about this. Also, that is not how you wear a bra. Someone needs to have an undergarment fitting session at her local department store or lingerie boutique.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
here is hoping he will get smarter. i like it so far
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 19