• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Video: New Manga Entertainment Trailers

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:24 am Reply with quote
Past, you posted the Madoka trailer twice.

Anyway, would anyone recommend Shiki? I already own both of the others on region A.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:59 am Reply with quote
Madoka's nearly £30 and no LE box set no sale there from me.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:07 am Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:

It's a complete collection and thus, is the cheapest way to get the series on BD in the world (yes, I've calculated it in the past).
consignia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:

Anyway, would anyone recommend Shiki?

Yes, I would. I found a compelling atmospheric horror. It's a bit predicable, but it's execution was more than enough to keep me interested all the way through.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:
yurihellsing wrote:

It's a complete collection and thus, is the cheapest way to get the series on BD in the world (yes, I've calculated it in the past).

Yes "cheap" being the operative word this was one of if not the biggest shows of 2011 and all we get is a bear bones box set? Do they not know the fanbase for this show at all or what?
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:11 am Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
Ryu Shoji wrote:
yurihellsing wrote:

Yes "cheap" being the operative word this was one of if not the biggest shows of 2011 and all we get is a bear bones box set? Do they not know the fanbase for this show at all or what?

They do indeed know the fanbase... They know that they have a hard time breaking even on any Blu-ray that they release. They need 3000 units to shift to break even. They couldn't even get a thousand with Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood. They need numbers, not LE boxsets. It's a shame, but that is the size of the UK anime BD market.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:40 am Reply with quote
Just Passing Through wrote:
yurihellsing wrote:
Ryu Shoji wrote:
yurihellsing wrote:

They do indeed know the fanbase... They know that they have a hard time breaking even on any Blu-ray that they release. They need 3000 units to shift to break even. They couldn't even get a thousand with Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood. They need numbers, not LE boxsets. It's a shame, but that is the size of the UK anime BD market.

to me that sounds like you're apologising for them so they need to sell 3K units to break even on average pricing that's £9K so they're spending 9 to 10 grand on this run they couldn't have added another 5K for LE goodies? also this whole " They need numbers, not LE boxsets" that's kinda anti consumer thinking and frankly if that's the way the UK fanbase think then that's how they know they can get away with ripping us off time and time again by not going with BD release on some shows and over charging on crap which shouldn't even be released.
consignia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:58 am Reply with quote
It's not like you have to buy the UK release. If you want a "fancier" version, do an import.

The Japanese release for Madoka was particularly uninspiring, for the price you got got pretty much bugger all extras, and cheap boxes.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:33 am Reply with quote
the US box set isn't a fancier version it's a version that has better extras in fact if "has" extras unlike most of the sets we get and here is another reason why they'd be better off investing in LE box sets.

the collector's set the one that looks epic on a shelf and back then the only extra was the OST and that was with a price point of $200 (£123)
release#145

then a few years later they come out with price point of $50 (£30)
release#10560

So why bother buying now when you know you can get the same thing a few years later for a lot less and even worse for the distro you could pick it up on ebay for a lot less sooner.
consignia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:40 am Reply with quote
What's stopping you getting the US version then? It's clearly better from your point of view.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:44 am Reply with quote
it's region locked and the multi region players are a little toooo pricey right now.
reksveks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:13 am Reply with quote
I am still surprised that it is coming out here in the UK for that price. Unfortunately there isn't a big market over here for anime on BD and probably an even smaller one for Collectors BD sets so by making it cheaper and more "value-for-money", they might do quite well with this release.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:44 am Reply with quote
Limited Editions, and juicy extras appeal only to a limited audience... Aniplex US can manage it because they have the customer base to make their prices pay off on small runs. They aim to sell out of everything they print before they make more.

Incidentally, are you certain that the Aniplex Madoka Magica Blu-rays are region locked? I thought the whole reason behind their pricing was that they basically repackaged the Japanese BDs, and they aren't region locked. Certainly Baccano isn't, and neither I believe is Durarara.

Anyway, Beez went with a super duper special edition, the Patlabor movies on DVD, big chunky boxes, two disc sets, with complete storyboards for each film, and a big thick making of booklet. These gold and silver boxes were gorgeous, the content was worth every penny that Beez was asking for them, about £50 apiece. They weighed about a kilo each. Beez only printed a 1000 of them, very limited.

They didn't sell. No one in the UK wanted to shell out for anime at such prices, no matter how gorgeous the sets were. Three years later, they were still selling online, and at a fraction of the cost. Beez must have made a loss on each one. Limited Editions only work if you can guarantee that they will sell out, and no company is in the business of losing money.

Anyway, I checked on Blu-ray.com, and the basic Blu-ray of Madoka Magic from Aniplex is Region Free. That's probably the same disc that you will get if you get the Limited Edition.

This list states that MM is Region Free. I think more than one person on that forum has the LE from Aniplex, so you should ask there if it is region free.
consignia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:44 am Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
it's region locked and the multi region players are a little toooo pricey right now.

It isn't locked.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:00 am Reply with quote
If you really love Limited Editions, then rather than waste your ire on companies selling to customer numbers too small to warrant such releases, you should target Aniplex US directly.

Ask them to keep ensuring their BDs are Region Free, and at the price they charge that shouldn't be an issue.

Also ask that instead of limiting the sale of their items to the US and Canada, that they should at least allow the easier export of those items to other English speaking countries like Australia and the UK. The whole point of such restrictions is to avoid reverse importation into Japan, and shouldn't be used to penalise the rest of the world.

Incidentally, If you do want Madoka Magica's Limited Editions in the UK, they can be had from UP1 for £70 apiece + P&P

A little cheaper if you buy from their US site, depending on how much commission your bank charges for currency transactions. The goods are all sent from the UK, so there probably won't be a customs charge.

A Toshiba BDX 3200 Blu-ray player can be made multi-region for Blu-ray and will set you back around £100. You'll need Australian firmware to do it, and details as to how are available for the Googling.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1