• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Share A Picture of your Manga Collection.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ensof

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I’ve finally gotten around to photographing and uploading my collection. The album can be viewed here.

I only started seriously collecting in 2006. As a result most of my stuff is from the boom years onwards. It’s mainly seinen, but there are other demographics represented. There’s also a small number of manhwa and OEL series mixed in.

In a box under a bed I’ve stashed 50 or so volumes of series I’m lukewarm on (or actively dislike). They’ll remain there until I decide what to do with them. I only remembered the box after I finished uploading, and I’m far too lazy to get the camera back out again, so they missed out on being photographed.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote
Ensof, your link didn't work. :/

Edit: Works now.

Last edited by st_owly on Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:04 am Reply with quote
The link works now, for me at any rate.
Genet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:39 am Reply with quote
Ensof wrote:
I’ve finally gotten around to photographing and uploading my collection. The album can be viewed here.

I only started seriously collecting in 2006. As a result most of my stuff is from the boom years onwards. It’s mainly seinen, but there are other demographics represented. There’s also a small number of manhwa and OEL series mixed in.

In a box under a bed I’ve stashed 50 or so volumes of series I’m lukewarm on (or actively dislike). They’ll remain there until I decide what to do with them. I only remembered the box after I finished uploading, and I’m far too lazy to get the camera back out again, so they missed out on being photographed.

Nice collection! I like your taste in manga ^^
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:52 am Reply with quote
aye works for me too.

the scouser in me is telling me to go rob your house lol
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:06 am Reply with quote
You thieving pikey Razz
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:39 am Reply with quote
Wow, color me impressed, Ensof! Not often I see a collection with a manga I wasn't aware was published in English (World Embryo, published by Chuang-Yi it would appear, where do you get Chuang Yi stuff for a decent price? Best I can see it is $20 a volume on ebay).
I do hope you'll take suggestions though, as there's a serious lack of Banana Fish, the shojo that feels like a seinen. In the meantime, there's lots of good stuff like Twin Spica, Planetes, Parasyte, Mushishi, Higurashi, ES, and plenty of Tezuka. Speaking of Tezuka, it seems Black Jack will be going oop soon, I'd get on that asap.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:01 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
You thieving pikey Razz

naw im more honest than the average guy but my brain is always scheming ways to misappropriate stuff hehe.
NeburPT

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:27 pm Reply with quote
You have a very good collection, Ensof, it looks like our tastes in seinen are alike - always nice to see someone supporting Eden! I think you'd enjoy Rohan at the Louvre, if you haven't read any Hirohiko Araki yet (since I didn't see any Jojo on the pictures) it may be an interesting introduction - it's a one-shot drawn in his most recent style, published in a hardcover, fully colored edition, that kind of sums up Jojo's peculiar charm.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:07 pm Reply with quote
So I'm not the only one who alphabetizes their collection! Every collection I've seen on this thread and Shelf Life isn't alphabetized so I thought that maybe I was the only one who does that. Laughing
Ensof

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Cheers everyone! And apologies if the link didn’t work to begin with – I created my Photobucket account and uploaded the photos literally minutes before posting on here, so there might have been some sort of period of grace before the file became accessible.

classicalzawa wrote:
Wow, color me impressed, Ensof! Not often I see a collection with a manga I wasn't aware was published in English (World Embryo, published by Chuang-Yi it would appear, where do you get Chuang Yi stuff for a decent price? Best I can see it is $20 a volume on ebay).

I’m in Australia, so I bought them locally. The distributor is Madman – their page for World Embryo is here. Books are pricey in Australia, hence the RRP of AUD $16-17 each. As for Chuang Yi themselves, they’re based in Singapore and don’t seem to do shipping at all – if you order books from them, you have to collect them in person from their office. Unfortunately $20 a volume for Europeans and North Americans is what I’d expect the going rate to be.

Dark Horse licensed World Embryo back in 2008 and then did nothing with it, so you have them to blame for the lack of a US release.

classicalzawa wrote:
I do hope you'll take suggestions though, as there's a serious lack of Banana Fish, the shojo that feels like a seinen. In the meantime, there's lots of good stuff like Twin Spica, Planetes, Parasyte, Mushishi, Higurashi, ES, and plenty of Tezuka. Speaking of Tezuka, it seems Black Jack will be going oop soon, I'd get on that asap.

Thanks for the tips - they're always appreciated. Banana Fish with its six volumes OOP might be beyond my means alas. The shipping costs in buying OOP volumes can be a killer here in Australia – in fact it frequently adds up to more than the books themselves. I’ll keep my eye out for it though.

I’ll definitely be picking up Black Jack now. It’s a blessing that Vertical give fans a heads-up when volumes come close to going OOP, or I probably would have kept putting it off and missed out.

NeburPT wrote:
You have a very good collection, Ensof, it looks like our tastes in seinen are alike - always nice to see someone supporting Eden! I think you'd enjoy Rohan at the Louvre, if you haven't read any Hirohiko Araki yet (since I didn't see any Jojo on the pictures) it may be an interesting introduction - it's a one-shot drawn in his most recent style, published in a hardcover, fully colored edition, that kind of sums up Jojo's peculiar charm.

Thanks, I’ll definitely give Rohan at the Louvre a shot. I think someone recently recommended it on the alternative manga thread as well.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
SereneChaos wrote:
So I'm not the only one who alphabetizes their collection! Every collection I've seen on this thread and Shelf Life isn't alphabetized so I thought that maybe I was the only one who does that. Laughing

Uh, I do that. ._. I mean, my oversized books have to be separate (they don't fit on most of my normal shelves) and all the CLAMP books are in one place, but other than that... It's straight up alphabetical, from +Anima to Zodiac P.I.

(It's seriously the only way I can find things; I don't know how other people manage without it.)
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:50 am Reply with quote
I alphabetise my collection as well. It has a few subcategories, like all the CLAMP stuff is together, but every sub category is alphabetised.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:32 am Reply with quote
I sort mine by publisher and to some extant by appearance. The ones out on display that is. The books in storage are sorted by publisher and by what will fit in a box. I don't want to put a single title in more than one box. Inu Yasha is an exception since it wont fit in a single box.

I find stuff is easier to find this way. Very Happy
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:02 am Reply with quote
mine is mostly arranged by size and author but its a very loose system, mostly im happy to just not have series running off one shelf onto another.

One piece is gonna really stick in my craw in that regard.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 30 of 38