• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blast of Tempest (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:42 am Reply with quote

Blast of Tempest (TV)

Genres: action, fantasy, mystery
Themes: mages

Plot Summary: Yoshino Takigawa and Mahiro Fuwa are two teenagers who start a quest to help a stranded magician at the same time strange phenomenons are occurring throughout Japan. Despite being a young girl, Hakaze Kusaribe is an extremely powerful sorcerer who has been isolated from the rest of the world by the rest of her clan due to her conncetion to a godlike entity called the Tree of Genesis. Her brother plots to awaken the Tree of Exodus during her exile to try to reshape the world without her interference. In exchange for the help of Yoshino and Mahiro, Hakaze will help find the culprit behind the murder of Fuwa's sister.
----------------------------------

Episode 1
Oo, not bad at all. I liked the visuals courtesy of Bones as well as the themes so far. Yoshino seems to be the calm one while Mahiro seems to be more of the aggressive. I also liked the theme of an island as it reflects the nature of civilization.

The butterflies and soundtrack are exciting to hear and there seems to be some Shakespearean like themes in it as well. Not bad so far, definitely going to watch more of this especially with the action and some of the ending visual artwork.

[EDIT: Thread title change to be in line with the official English title for the series. - Key]

Last edited by Stark700 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kpk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:07 pm Reply with quote
This is the first time I'm actually hoping Bones will turn away from the source material, since the manga turned into crap.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:17 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
This is the first time I'm actually hoping Bones will turn away from the source material, since the manga turned into crap.

And like in the list thread, I'll have to post my disagreement. The manga became a bit over the top, with (vague spoilers I guess) spoiler[plans within a plan within a plan ala Death Note], but it was still great fun, and it pulled off a lot of things really well. I really hope they don't diverge from the manga any more than needed. Though given the fact that the manga is still ongoing and doesn't look like it's going to end any time soon, I expect some sort of divergence will happen sooner or later.

But that's all I'll say about the manga. Waiting for crunchy's stream for the first episode, but when it airs I'll post my comments about the show itself here.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Some forms of stylistic flair can get tiresome, fast, and I'm pretty sure this show is going to have that problem. Eventually.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Posted this in the preview guide thread, posting it here now.

Well, seen the first episode of Blast of Tempest. It was a decent first episode. Some mystery, nice fight scenes, good (if perhaps a bit melodramatic at times) music and visuals, and characters that have some potential (and should live up to that potential, if they follow the manga closely enough). It wasn't mind blowing or anything, but then again, the first chapter of the manga wasn't mind blowing either, and this was a pretty faithful adaption, with some rearranging of scenes and some slight cuts or additions here and there.

If I had one minor complaint with the adaption, it's that Evangeline spoiler[seemed surprised when she heard Mahiro's sister was dead, when she probably should have known that already if she was investigating him. In the manga she didn't give much reaction, so it was possible she already knew and was just asking about it to judge Yoshino's response.]

Anyways, minor nitpick aside, Blast of Tempest was a good start. I'll be interested to see how they handle next episode, as it should have a short scene that really helped solidify my interest in the manga, so I hope they handle it well in the anime.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:01 pm Reply with quote
There's a lot wrong with Evangeline. Putting aside the idea of calling someone "Fraulein" as a sign of familiarity, did she lose her pants? Miss the weather forecast? Forget what her job entailed?
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
There's a lot wrong with Evangeline. Putting aside the idea of calling someone "Fraulein" as a sign of familiarity, did she lose her pants? Miss the weather forecast? Forget what her job entailed?

I guess it shows how much anime I've seen, and how used to... interesting outfits I've become, that the fact that she was wearing a short skirt in cold weather didn't even register with me.

I guess that would bother some people, but odd outfits is one aspect of anime that I am usually able to overlook without much trouble, even if they don't always make perfect sense.
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote
So, this is Bones' winter offering, huh?

Ol' Evangeline (Conspirator so fine) seems a little too boring, I guess? There's something I don't like about her. Also, I agree, she needs some pants. That little skirt / blouse thing she's got going is great for a nightclub, but not really for combat.

I found myself really liking the music though and upon investigation, I discover it's Michiru Oshima, of which I'm a fan of.

Finally, what's it say about me that despite everything that happened in this episode, the thing that bugged me the most was that the guy didn't eat his friggin' celery!

I'll probably keep up with this, I liked the animation and atmosphere. Here's hoping Bones doesn't pull a Gonzo with this.
underlock

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Bones is such a befitting term for the girl in the barrel. Well played Bones, you just gave almost every Bones fan a boner.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I like the first episode a lot, though, I cannot pinpoint what I really liked about it. It must be the sexy ladies, it has to be. Aika is hot, Hakaze is hot, Miss unemployed 28-year-old is hot (despite the weather). I was too engaged in examining the ladies that I didn't have time to focus on what went on. Oh well, I'm still sticking with this show.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Yttrbio wrote:

I guess it shows how much anime I've seen, and how used to... interesting outfits I've become, that the fact that she was wearing a short skirt in cold weather didn't even register with me.

I guess that would bother some people, but odd outfits is one aspect of anime that I am usually able to overlook without much trouble, even if they don't always make perfect sense.

I wear shorts in the winter, even when it's snowing. I believe all further complaints about her winter attire are null.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:55 am Reply with quote
First episode was alright, I enjoyed the music and style, and the action pretty sweet. Although I do not really like the characters for some reason, I think there is a good chance I might stop watching it. Actually I like the mage gal, might continue watching depending on how she is used.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:26 am Reply with quote
I really dug this one a lot. The visuals, of course, are sumptuous and I loved the fight scene between Mashiro and Fraulein. How often do you get the POV of a character being flipped as they go ass over tea kettle? Unlike K, this show actually knows how to make a male character look cool without making me roll my eyes at the ostentatious effort.
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:28 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I could probably do without the boots. Confused
Exaar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:24 am Reply with quote
I really liked this first episode. I'm a big fan of Bones, they've made several of my all-time favorite series, and I'm also someone who tends to value style even more than substance (as long as the substance is not god-awful) and so the presentation here really grabbed me - the music and the top-notch animation, especially during the action scenes, really made this my favorite first episode of the season.

I don't min that it was a bit cluttered and confused, as I'm sure a lot of that will shake-out later on. One thing I do want to address is a comment I saw in a couple of the Fall Anime Preview Guide reviews - that of the main character's being unlikable.

I didn't find this to be true at all - in fact, from what I've seen of him thus far, Mashiro has to be one of my favorite leads in a while. We'll have to see how he shapes up, of course, but I have a huge, huge liking for the unapologetic dickish bad-ass as a lead character. Maybe I just see too much of the reluctant or morally conflicted hero, but I find a totally unapologetic, amoral ass-kicker to be my absolute favorite sort of protagonist. (Lelouch Vi Britannia is still like my favorite leading character of all time despite that show's failings in its latter parts. Ironically, I despite Light from Death Note as a pansy-man though). Maybe Yoshino fits a bit too much into the former category, but even he seems to have a bit of iron hidden beneath his apathetic exterior. I am excited to see more because I love heroes who just don't give a sh-t and murder the hell out of everyone. Especially with magic kicks to the face. Was I the only one who literally went "F YEAH" out loud when spoiler[Mashiro freakin' face-planted Evangeline into the dirt? That was the best thing I've seen in anime in a while.]

Also, and I'm surprised I haven't seen this mentioned yet, as a fan of The Bard I am intrigued by the references both in dialogue and in the plot to the Shakespeare play The Tempest. Interested to see if that becomes a theme in the actual events or just a sort of neat stylistic connection.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 27