• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
About FUNimation's end credits.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Domayv

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:24 pm Reply with quote
When it comes with end credits, the Japanese are credited first and the Americans are credited after that. In Funimation's case, it's the other way around. I'm finding this extensively annoying because it's done in the most retarded ways ("Reversioned", "English Reversioned", or (the least annoying) "English Version"). This practice of crediting the English first and the Japanese last has TO STOP right now, Funi. Is it that hard to just credit the Japanese first and the English last like all the other companies? Is it?!

spoiler[New funi credits:

"English Version produced by Funimation Entertainment"

(it outsourced)

"English Version produced by Funimation Entertainment in association with ''Studio outsourced to''"]
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Is it that hard to just not care about something so trivial? IS IT?!?! Razz
Domayv

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:

Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to credit the Japanese first and the English last?
Rhyono

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote
Funimation is a rebel just to spite you.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:53 am Reply with quote
Domayv wrote:
the Rancorous wrote:

Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to credit the Japanese first and the English last?

You quoted me, but apparently missed the point. Again... why do you care so much? And you seem to be the only one. Most people skip credits anyways. It's trivial. Trite. The Japanese creators don't seem to care about it either (otherwise, they would have told Funi to stop that).

Rhyono; Nice! Laughing
Crispy45

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:00 am Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
And you seem to be the only one.

I care too. How's it feel to be wrong, brah? Not enough to rant though. Funimation does a lot of annoying things like that. Though given people who actually buy there stuff tend to care more about the dub than sub, I don't think those people care as much as us subbies do.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:52 am Reply with quote
I just skip the credits anyway. If it bothers you that much, most discs come with textless credits anyway :/
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:08 am Reply with quote
Domayv wrote:

I guess, but it honest doesn't matter to me personally. Whichever order the credits go in terms of who's involved isn't as important to me so much as the whether the credits are even translated just so I tell who did what in the production.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:19 am Reply with quote
because...believe it or not...dub fans still out-number sub fans. They cater to the casual anime fan that want dubs. So of course they're going to list the English casting first, it's what they expect will be listened to first.

Hell, I never watch a single anime subbed, unless there is no English audio track. The Japanese credits don't mean a damn thing to me.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:49 am Reply with quote
Domayv wrote:
the Rancorous wrote:

Yeah...I suppose it does more or less. It's just not in the realm of "MUST! STOP! NOW!"
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:01 am Reply with quote
Funimation actually isn't the only company to do this -- at least when they were still ADV, ADV credited the English VAs first, though they saved the other dub production credits till the end.

Frankly, I'm far less concerned about crediting order than I am about some of Funi's other many crimes against end credits, such as:

Doing a slow zoom out on a freezeframe instead of showing the actual video (My Bride is a Mermaid)

Massive overlays to cover scrolling credits over episode footage (Sekirei)

Squishing and distorting an actual epilogue to 1/3 size, as if you're watching reruns on some cable TV network (Ragnarok the Animation)

Reducing the normal end credits video as well as the last-episode epilogue to 1/5 size to scroll English credits on a mostly-black screen (Birdy the Mighty Decode)

These all stemmed from cases where Funi couldn't/wouldn't get the creditless versions, or for unique (usually final) episodes where creditless versions didn't exist. It was so bad for awhile that whenever Funi announced some show that had credits playing over action in the last episode, people assumed a priori that Funi would mess it up.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:10 am Reply with quote
Hey, sometimes they haven't credited the Japanese cast and crew AT ALL.

You know, the people who actually MADE THE SHOW.

Dragon Ball: Curse of the Blood Rubies, for instance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Domayv

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:17 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
because...believe it or not...dub fans still out-number sub fans. They cater to the casual anime fan that want dubs. So of course they're going to list the English casting first, it's what they expect will be listened to first.

Hell, I never watch a single anime subbed, unless there is no English audio track. The Japanese credits don't mean a damn thing to me.

All the other companies credited the Japanese first and the English last
Exaar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:47 am Reply with quote
Maybe it's because if we're watching an English version, I want to know who the English VA's were?

I mean, let's be honest - I don't watch credits normally, anyway. I just skip 'em. But if I'm watching a dub, chances are if I want to know anything from the credits, its "Oh, I recognize this voice, is it so-and-so?" The Japanese credits mean nothing to me - they are a bunch of names I don't recognize. I don't want to have to sit through that to answer my question about who I was just actually listening to.

That said, it /does/ seem like a pretty trivial thing to be angry about. I've never really cared on all those other releases where the Japanese names come first, even though it forced me to hit 'fast-forward' to get to the actual information I wanted.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:17 am Reply with quote
Exaar wrote:
But if I'm watching a dub, chances are if I want to know anything from the credits, its "Oh, I recognize this voice, is it so-and-so?" The Japanese credits mean nothing to me - they are a bunch of names I don't recognize. I don't want to have to sit through that to answer my question about who I was just actually listening to.

I am about the same.
I really do not care very much about the order of the credits, but having the dub credits first is more convenient for me.
Occasionally I am interested in something about the original production, such as who performed a song. Even though I always listen to dubs all of the music that I like is in Japanese. Maybe I am just weird.
In that case it is not too difficult to scroll down and find what I want. But if I really want useful information I will look it up in the encyclopedia here. That is more detailed and allows me to easily cross-reference the information. I also have more confidence in the accuracy with the encyclopedia.

Last edited by Touma on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5