• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Release Panty & Stocking on BD in December

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:11 am Reply with quote
No kidding. Anyone who thinks Sentai's dubs are better than Funi's is suffering from a major case of tin ear.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:31 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
While it is true that Sentai releases are bare bones, they tend to release more quality series in my opinion.

You should get a job in the fields, because you're really good at cherry picking. Let me try. Funimation tends to release quality shows like Princess Jellyfish, Spice and Wolf, Ga-Rei Zero, and Birdy the Mighty Decode. Meanwhile, Sentai is releasing trash like Samurai Girls, Majikoi, Akikan, and Koihime Muso.

I agree that the titles you mention are solid. You are also good at cherry picking because while the titles you mention from Sentai are mostly crap (I thought Samurai Girls was not that bad), you conveniently forget that they have, Angel Beats!, Ghost Hound, K-On!!, ef, and Mawaru Peguindrum is on its way. Do not pretend that FUNi does not release dumb boob shows like Girls Bravo, Cat Planet Cuties and Freezing.

The King of Harts wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Do you really expect casual anime fans (the demographic FUNi presumably aims at) to be up to date by participating in online anime forums?

Uh...yea? It's not hard to follow a forum. In fact, this forum is filled with casual fans, you just don't know it because they don't post...because they're casual and don't care as much. You've never been curious about how it's the same 100 or so people that post consistently, but there's over 700,000 registered users? I'm sure there's a few thousand more who aren't even registered and still follow the news and forums. There are so many people that have been users for years, but don't post and still follow along on a daily basis. So yea, if you're an anime fan (casual or not), you should probably follow the biggest anime news site regularly to keep yourself up to date. It'd also be smart to keep up with The Fandom Post. Or just follow WTK. I'm not saying to live on the site, but go through it once or twice a day and see what kind of info is out there.

Oh yeah, I pretty much 'live' at ANN, and I never knew anything about Panty and Stocking BD's. And how do you exactly know that casuals fans roam the ANN forums?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:34 am Reply with quote
I have to admit - there are few ANN users more omnipresent than myself and I didn't know about the possibility of the P&SwG BDs, either. Mind you, the title wasn't a burning issue for me that way it is for TKoH.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote
Hahaha I remember commenting on the trailer complaining about no blu-ray and getting many rage responses telling me to stfu and gtfo. I knew this would happen and decided to wait, go me~
Now I posted the same comment on the deadman wonderland set (also got many insults for wanting a blu ray), watch by summer deadman will also release on blu ray.

Blood- wrote:
No kidding. Anyone who thinks Sentai's dubs are better than Funi's is suffering from a major case of tin ear.

I think sentai have better scripts than funimation...Seriously, funimation was afraid to swear until recently and their accents are disgustingly over-exaggerated. I like sentai better for having more realistic dialog and not fearing to crack inappropriate jokes/words
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:46 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
More Blu-ray exclusive extras eh? As if their treatment of the Sengoku Basara OVAs wasn't bad enough, they continue with this nonsense?

At least it's not like Kadokawa's treatment of Kiddy GiRL-and in Japan - the LE DVDs, RE DVDs and BDs all had diffferent unique cover art, and the LE DVDs had different on-disc extras to the BDs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I prefer Sentai's dubs as well. Funi's dubs are way too liberal for me. I prefer the dialog be close to the actual translation. Sentai (mainly Foster) is guilty of it too, but Funi is consistently way too liberal with their dubs. There's at least one change every couple episodes that has me wanting to scream. I also prefer Sentai's shows over Funi's, but that's totally subjective. I do like Funi's LEs though.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Folks, Sentai releases just as many boob shows as Funimation does. they got nearly all of them last season and several this season with To love ru darkness being the most recent. Funi gets most of the flack since they actually market their shows while sentai just seems to quietly release their shows. this whole debate over who is better is just stupid.
KonohamaruHeaven

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
son of a bitch Evil or Very Mad
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:00 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Folks, Sentai releases just as many boob shows as Funimation does. they got nearly all of them last season and several this season with To love ru darkness being the most recent. Funi gets most of the flack since they actually market their shows while sentai just seems to quietly release their shows. this whole debate over who is better is just stupid.

I agree that Sentai has as many boobs shows as FUNi (Sentai might even have more). I agree that FUNi markets these shows, while Sentai releases them quietly.

And because of this last point I tend to give more flack to FUNi for their boob shows. FUNi seems to be parading shows like Freezing as the best written, directed and animated show out there. Sentai, on the other hand, with the exception of High School of the Dead, only offer their boob shows subbed-only and on DVD.

I should not begrudge any R1 company for releasing boob shows. After all, it is what helps to pay the bills. But I hate it when FUNi throws their crappy boobs show at my face and tries to convince that it has a worthwhile and memorable story; and that male pandering has nothing to do with them being released.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:06 pm Reply with quote
why not market the best part of a show?
angieness

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:36 am Reply with quote
Well, that just sucks. I had read Funi had altogether canceled the Blu-ray plans so I purchased the DVD. I wouldn't have mind waiting longer for the BD had they not said that. I won't double dip though, it still looks pretty nice on DVD.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
PlatinumHawke wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
I am surprised no one has bad mouthed Funimation yet for pulling this crap. Really? a BD release 5 months after a DVD release...

Nobody's badmouthing FUNi because we all were badmouthing Kadokawa back when this was an apparent issue.

This.

Sailor S wrote:
Vata Raven wrote:

Here is were I think Funimation is screwing over the fans. Panty & Stocking is an example. They put out the DVD in July, but they could've waited another 6 months to put it out in a combo pack (like they would normally do). But instead of waiting, they just hurry up and put the DVD on the market. Just would've been better if they waited, instead of wasting money on a release a 2nd rate release and putting something on the market that most people didn't really want.

And how many people were losing their shit over the delays with titles like Index and Railgun? If Funimation had said they needed to wait another 5 months, people would be pissing and moaning about how long it was taking them to bring out the title. The fact is, Funi was in a no win situation there and they made the best of it. They didn't screw over anyone, people could have chosen to hold out and hope for a BD release later down the road.

Yeah well said. Plus from what I recall it wasn't really just hope in this particular case unlike some past instances, I distinctly remember plenty of chatter in the forum that day about Funi wanting to do BDs for this.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I bought this on dvd at Otakon. I needed the amv footage.

I WILL buy this again in blu-ray!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4