Forum - View topic
Your thoughts and opinions on the service.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Neon Alley
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neon Alley Moderator
Company Representative

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Keep it coming. The whole team will be gathering your notes for future app updates.

Don't be shy.
ZeArNkN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:08 pm Reply with quote
You could fix your website so that it saves your Login name or password every time you log on. It's a bit tedious to keep typing in your screen name or email every time you visit the site. There's not even an option to automatically enter the whole name when you write one letter. A check box to keep you logged in would be nice too.

And I really think you guys are experiencing some audio and video issues. The quality keeps rising and dipping. The audio also gets cut off right before commercials. And like others have said, I'd love more options added to the schedule and other little things.

Maybe you guys could incorporate an option to switch between SD and HD. The non-HD shows like Inuyasha and Death Note look pretty bad on my HDTV. Is there a way to rectify that?
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote
ZeArNkN wrote:
You could fix your website so that it saves your Login name or password every time you log on. It's a bit tedious to keep typing in your screen name or email every time you visit the site. There's not even an option to automatically enter the whole name when you write one letter. A check box to keep you logged in would be nice too.

^THIS. It really is annoying having to type it in every single time. Confused
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:20 pm Reply with quote
ZeArNkN wrote:
And I really think you guys are experiencing some audio and video issues. The quality keeps rising and dipping. The audio also gets cut off right before commercials. And like others have said, I'd love more options added to the schedule and other little things.

Yeah, I also experienced the bobbing quality this afternoon for the first time. It mainly happened at the same time I experienced a few stream freezes all around the same time (not the app, the pop-up guide still opens and closes) during the Naruto block, but it looks like it's finally picked up again during the last Naruto, and the Blue Exorcist that just started is looking quite good if a little bitrate starved since there's some pixelation in the dark colored areas sometimes (though inconsistently so maybe it's an encoding thing? Cause some parts look real good and other have a tad bit of breakup). Yeah it improved around then, BE, Nura and the couple of trailers like the Shangri-La one were pretty clear.

Love the dubs for T&B and Blue Exorcist so far in their first eps, was so looking forward to finally seeing those.
Tiger & Bunny's gonna be so damn fun in dubbed form like it was subbed. Which reminds me, since others have probably commented on the main characters, for such a minor role, the choice of voice they picked for the cranky store owner in ep one of BE was so perfect (Wendee Lee, I easily pictured Yoruichi being bossy lol), I should have seen her coming, and Tony Oliver for the "retro designed" priest assistant. Very Happy
pinder_2009

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Maybe its because I haven't subscribed to the service yet( the PSN store page says you get a 1 week free trial) but I have yet to get anything to play. When I'm at the schedule screen I go to the currently playing show and pressing X does...nothing. Pressing random buttons does...nothing. Pressing the down key makes the screen go all black like it is going to load something, but it just freezes there (tried this multiple times, happens every time) and I need to do a hard reset since pressing the PS button does nothing.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:02 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
ZeArNkN wrote:

^THIS. It really is annoying having to type it in every single time. Confused

Strange, we haven't had this problem. And pinder, I believe you have to sign up on the online website, at least, that's what I did.
Tony K.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:24 am Reply with quote
I never even knew what this service was till I read about it this week. I looked at the site and am happy Viz can offer a streaming service. But you totally lost me at "uncut and dubbed." And then I looked at the FAQ asking "will there be subbed anime," where the answer to it was a blatant "no."

I would simply like to know why. And will there ever be a possibility in the future?
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:33 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I never even knew what this service was till I read about it this week. I looked at the site and am happy Viz can offer a streaming service. But you totally lost me at "uncut and dubbed." And then I looked at the FAQ asking "will there be subbed anime," where the answer to it was a blatant "no."

I would simply like to know why. And will there ever be a possibility in the future?

Because if you want VIZ's subbed anime, you can usually get that for free on their website.

This is a service strictly for the dub fans.

Ya know.... the non-purist, non-weeaboo crowd. The kind of people who actually like to enjoy their anime without reading it. Razz
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:43 am Reply with quote
Well, MAYBE when the site gets bigger, they can do both. Like, they set it up like CrunchyRoll (or any legal streaming site). It's expected to develop over time. Giving fans more stuff to watch and add onto the streaming numbers (and see what shows are worth the dub). But...is it just me or is Viz dubbing a lot for Neon Alley? I know they were planning Tiger & Bunny for a while, but they also have 2-3 other shows planed to air on the station. Or is their normal amount they handle?

As it is...it already seems people are not happy that the shows come on curtains times on the day, instead of them watching it whenever they please...because it would seem...no one watches TV normally (guess I'm an odd on out, I can't even record shows or stream...and our directTV was turned off). I'm not too happy with waiting even LONGER for Tiger & Bunny, only 6 months more until a possible BD release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:46 am Reply with quote
pinder_2009 wrote:
Maybe its because I haven't subscribed to the service yet( the PSN store page says you get a 1 week free trial) but I have yet to get anything to play. When I'm at the schedule screen I go to the currently playing show and pressing X does...nothing. Pressing random buttons does...nothing. Pressing the down key makes the screen go all black like it is going to load something, but it just freezes there (tried this multiple times, happens every time) and I need to do a hard reset since pressing the PS button does nothing.

What did you select when you first started the app then?

The first screen you should get after launching the app for the first time is the login screen where it asks if you have an account. And I doubt it would play anything until you register for the trial. Which you can do on their webpage.

Also, once the channel is playing I believe the only real functions are Square to bring up and put down the pop-up menu, the d-pad to select right and left to scroll through the schedule and X to bring up a description. PS Button should bring up the in-game XMB where you can also exit the Neon Alley app.
ZeArNkN

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:59 am Reply with quote
Aren't there already more than enough sub streams out there?

The world needs more things like Neon Alley.
Tony K.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:28 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Because if you want VIZ's subbed anime, you can usually get that for free on their website.

I didn't know that. Then again, the quality of streaming is a bit on the low end for me 'cause my Internet connection sucks, which is why I don't really go out of my way to "explore" all the different venues. I just like the idea of having the option anyway.

SpacemanHardy wrote:
Ya know.... the non-purist, non-weeaboo crowd. The kind of people who actually like to enjoy their anime without reading it. Razz

Classy. Way to put into account personal preference and absolutely no differentiation between the types of fans that actually are the hardcore-Puritan-crazed fanatics and the people who may or may not appreciate Japanese voice acting for their capabilities as artists and/or their ability to actually make a show enjoyable as opposed to a hit or miss dub. I like the way you think Very Happy!

ZeArNkN wrote:
Aren't there already more than enough sub streams out there?

I don't know. Are there? I'm not asking for sub-only. I generally like some of Viz's dubbing. It's just a matter of convenience and having the ability to choose between the two in case I like one or the other a little more.

ZeArNkN wrote:
The world needs more things like Neon Alley.

Explain.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:13 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Because following subtitles is so difficult, right?

I love how you equate preferring a show the way it was intended with being a "weeaboo".

Apparently that term is now as meaningless as "epic" and "fascism".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
pinder_2009

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote
@DangerMouse

Ah see when it asks if I am a subscriber I say no. I was assuming that you're automatically on the trial just by using the app. It should really prompt you to make an account if you say no. I'll try making an account and see if it works then (probably will).

And has anyone else tried hitting down to see if it freezes? I mean if functionally it shouldn't do anything, then I don't see why it does what it does.

[EDIT: See how clean that looks? There's no reason to quote an entire post and make a mess of things. Simply putting "@user" or quote the most relevant parts of their post will do. -TK]
Upat3am

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:36 am Reply with quote
Very Happy Great Service So far.

It would be nice if InuYasha and Noratu Were late night and early morning hour and a half sets. I would be nice to see different seasons on at different times of the day instead of the same episode twice.

Other then that give me lot's of anime please!!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Neon Alley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5