• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Anime Network Removes 1st To Love-Ru Darkness Episode

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Takuku wrote:
@TheAncientOne

If it's TAN's fault - what I don't get is why should it have an effect for us in the UK which is leading me to think that it's possibly an issue at Japan's end or if it can be done, the simuclast is a sub-license.

I suspect that AoD's license is a sub-license from Sentai, much like Crunchyroll's licenses. It would be a simple matter for Sentai to add on a UK license when negotiating, and then re-license that to AoD, similar to the way they license additional regions to re-license to CR along with the U.S. and Canada.

If thats true, and this is Sentais issue, it might be an even bigger deal. The last thing Sentai wants is to get into bad graces with TBS, since they air a lot of the bigger anime these days. Thats what it sounds like since the TAN guy said the licenser told them the time was fine to air, as well.
relentlessflame

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I am assuming this whole thing is probably due to the Japanese "25-hour clock". The show was scheduled to air on 2012-10-05 at "25:00" on Tokyo MX. Those of us who follow Japanese airing schedules know that equates to 2012-10-06 at 1:00am. But if you convert the time and the date separately, you'll be off by one. Start Time: 1:00am. Start Date: 2012-10-05? Nope... This is probably why they launched the stream a day early, all the while thinking they were right on time. It'd be a simple error to make if you didn't know to look out for it (and even if they "double-checked", it'd be easy to miss if you didn't understand what it means).
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Takuku wrote:
@TheAncientOne
If it's TAN's fault - what I don't get is why should it have an effect for us in the UK which is leading me to think that it's possibly an issue at Japan's end or if it can be done, the simuclast is a sub-license.

I suspect that AoD's license is a sub-license from Sentai, much like Crunchyroll's licenses. It would be a simple matter for Sentai to add on a UK license when negotiating, and then re-license that to AoD, similar to the way they license additional regions to re-license to CR along with the U.S. and Canada.

Especially since Sentai had already been getting streaming rights for US, Canada, UK, Ireland, South Africa Australia and New Zealand for streaming sublicenses to Crunchyroll. Its a lot easier to get a specific clause if the licensor has previously signed a contract with the same clause.

RyanSaotome wrote:

If thats true, and this is Sentais issue, it might be an even bigger deal. The last thing Sentai wants is to get into bad graces with TBS, since they air a lot of the bigger anime these days. Thats what it sounds like since the TAN guy said the licenser told them the time was fine to air, as well.

Going on the Encyclopedia, the three series that were announced at the same time by TAN all have TBS given production credit, while To Love-Ru TD TBS has streaming rights. So that looks a lot like a package deal that was then leveraged into rights on an additional series. ...
... and would therefore be vulnerable to being affected by a snafu in the streaming of that additional series.

It seems likely that TBS would decide to find TAN responsible as opposed to Sentai, since the home video royalties via the Sentai licenses will be substantially higher than the TAN streaming minimum guarantees.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:
Takuku wrote:
@TheAncientOne

I really doubt it will cause any long term issues with TBS, except perhaps making them cautious about similcasts again. Funi and CR's streaming slips didn't seem to do any long term damage there, and TBS seems to have pretty strong ties to Sentai.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote
relentlessflame wrote:
I am assuming this whole thing is probably due to the Japanese "25-hour clock".

It actually goes from 5:00-28:59 at least looking at what Syoboi does, in which case it would be a "29-hour clock".
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:06 pm Reply with quote
This was such an easily-avoidable situation. If common fans could figure it out, then there is no excuse on the parties involved. And what really gets me is that fans like TheAncientOne warned TAN that there was a problem and was brushed off. I hope Rai got fired for A: being such a douchebag, and B: not even bothering to spend ten seconds to double-check the scheduling.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:06 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Funi and CR's streaming slips didn't seem to do any long term damage there, and TBS seems to have pretty strong ties to Sentai.

Has CR even had a "streaming slip", or are you confusing it with ANN's Oreimo one?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:07 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Funi and CR's streaming slips didn't seem to do any long term damage there, and TBS seems to have pretty strong ties to Sentai.

Has CR even had a "streaming slip", or are you confusing it with ANN's Oreimo one?

I could be. I do remember ANN's slip up. I actually don't use either site very often as I don't like CR's interface and ANN's has never worked right on my laptop. Although I do use CR's iOS app from time to time.

Last edited by dragonrider_cody on Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
This was such an easily-avoidable situation. If common fans could figure it out, then there is no excuse on the parties involved. And what really gets me is that fans like TheAncientOne warned TAN that there was a problem and was brushed off. I hope Rai got fired for A: being such a douchebag, and B: not even bothering to spend ten seconds to double-check the scheduling.

Yes, and I hope you get fired for posting such idiotic comments. Rai only does what the higher ups tell him. He is not in charge of the company or the scheduling. He did what he was instructed to do. There is no reason to wish someone to lose their job after they did exactly what they were instructed to do. It's a an episode of anime series, not a life and death situation. Get over yourself.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:16 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
I actually don't use either site very often as I don't like CR's interface and ANN's has never worked right on my laptop.

As far as Crunchyroll, goes, I do think they've actually had a pristine record on not allowing episodes to leak ahead of time. I remember they've had counters counting down to a time before Japanese airing before but they never actually came to pass.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Yes, and I hope you get fired for posting such idiotic comments. Rai only does what the higher ups tell him. He is not in charge of the company or the scheduling. He did what he was instructed to do. There is no reason to wish someone to lose their job after they did exactly what they were instructed to do. It's a an episode of anime series, not a life and death situation. Get over yourself.

Tell me; do you read what you write before you post it? Because you should.

Rai dismissed TheAncientOne's warning and actually implied that he (TheAncientOne) had the wrong time himself. Rai did not double-check the scheduling. Rai - despite all the resources he presumably has at his disposal, like a bloody clock and calander - did not realise what was so obvious to many fans out there. Rai did not alert his superiors that there might be a problem, which he has an obligation to do. This affair may cause TAN difficulty in licensing titles for streaming for the foreseeable future.

So yeah, Rai was rude to a person trying to help him and his company, and his failure to heed a warning has resulted in his company's reputation being tarnished. People have been legitimately fired for less.

P.S. Do you think my employer reads ANN and will say "gosh, this guy dtm42 - whose real-life identity we inexplicitly just happen to know, and who co-incidentally works for us - reasonably wants a douchebag who effed up in their job to be fired. That's not nice. Let's fire him as well"? Do you really think that will happen? Dream on.
relentlessflame

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
relentlessflame wrote:
I am assuming this whole thing is probably due to the Japanese "25-hour clock".

It actually goes from 5:00-28:59 at least looking at what Syoboi does, in which case it would be a "29-hour clock".

Yes, you're quite right; I only use "25-hour clock" as a nickname, because the key point to understand is that it goes past 24 hours. Smile
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

Going on the Encyclopedia, the three series that were announced at the same time by TAN all have TBS given production credit, while To Love-Ru TD TBS has streaming rights. So that looks a lot like a package deal that was then leveraged into rights on an additional series. ...
... and would therefore be vulnerable to being affected by a snafu in the streaming of that additional series.

It seems likely that TBS would decide to find TAN responsible as opposed to Sentai, since the home video royalties via the Sentai licenses will be substantially higher than the TAN streaming minimum guarantees.

At least for now, it doesn't look like any of the older TBS licenses have been yanked from TAN at least, thankfully. Love, Election & Chocolate would be pretty recent. I do notice that Episode 12 is set for October 11th but the original planned date seems to be October 4th (at the same time as 11). That's not related to this because it would have been set to air yesterday before the debacle happened (must have had their schedule wrong or changed at some point though Confused )

Last edited by EmperorBrandon on Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
_V_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
_V_ wrote:
has anyone considered if this has something to do with the fact that the court date for FUNimation suing ADV is scheduled for tomorrow, October 6th?

God help us all! Rolling Eyes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPgCHsoU2wU

TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I knew it. I knew it. I knew it. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5