• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A blog system

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CharismaJustice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Some of my favorite game sites implement a community blog system for readers to voice their opinions on stuff without using forums, and I think it could do wonders for this site.

[EDIT: Link removed. -TK]
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:58 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I'm curious... How many other people are interested in this feature ?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote
I have blogs coming of my ears that are thrown in free with various site registrations - and I don't use any of them. I don't even update my own blog anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:53 am Reply with quote
I have trouble just keeping up with the moderated forums here. I doubt seriously that I would have any use for blogs also.
underlock

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Blogs seem to have more writers than readers. It's like a diary, but without the charm of secrecy. As a result no one cares.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Well, it depends on the writer. I mean, I have a number of blogs I keep up with because I trust the opinions of the blogger or they have a certain quality to the content. What I find is the blog killer are bloggers that just post personal crap or have no sense of purpose to their blog; and the best blogs follow an article format and schedule so you know roughly when they're going to post new content.

I mean, yeah, for every 1 good blog there's probably 50 or more awful ones, but that kind of ratio can apply to a lot of things.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
While I do happen to know of some blogs that are well written, I've found for every good blog, there are several blogs that aren't worth reading.

As with Keonyn, once the writer starts mostly posting personal information such as their opinion and having really no focus with their blog, essentially this just becomes a subjective site that may or may not be considered a sounding board for opinions/rants.

I've noticed there are more blog writers than readers though. As blogs are in some ways similar to viral videos, i.e. youtube videos. How do you convince others to follow what you have to say is very challenging matter, as unless your targeting very common niche markets, more than likely the topic has been talked about some time beforehand.

That being said, I am not really interested in a ANN blog.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:18 pm Reply with quote
It is an interesting idea; separating the wheat from the chaff, however, does pose a problem.....
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
It's an interesting idea but I wonder how it would really differ from simply reading the forums themselves? I mean it's one thing if the blogs were on different topics and not simply anime/manga. If they were simply anime/manga based I simply fail to see how it would really differ that much from the General Anime and Manga sections we already have. Would there be specific topics to discuss or would it just be a community free for all?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
If ANN were to give us a blog option, make it a "My Anime Blog" option. Integrate it as a place to specifically talk anime and link your list of rated anime with tags you create in the blogs.

You know what one of the worst features of MyAnime is? (IMHO) It's the comments. Tiny font, badly integrated, if a large comment is posted, it looks horrible. Consider dtm42's My Anime. Whether you can respect or agree with his view's, he has put tons of effort into the reviews in his comments... but really, they're practically unreadable in that format. The only way to be able to do it is to Zoom in on the page enough so the fonts are big enough. And even then it's just a plain block of text.

If you could instead write a "blog" about a show, tag that show, and have links to it appear in MyAnime, that would give each person a tremendous resource that I think could be used. You could also have a separate ongoing blog section that is a mix of reviews and mostly traditional anime-centric posts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I concur with Spastic Minnow. I know that HTML can be used on this site, but I do not know the language.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I am of the belief that this is a fantastic idea. I didn't think as much about it this morning when I first saw this (especially since I saw it was locked and edited), but ever Chris reopened it, I've been thinking on it, and I think it'd be a great feature.

I think it'd be a good place for people to have more personal discussions without Random User X jumping in with their two bits. Lets take for example the long, analytical, and well put together posts Surrender Artist makes in the What Are You Watching thread. His posts aren't appropriate for that thread because you can't have the long discussions they probably deserve because they'd drag on for a few pages, and that's not what that thread is for. That thread isn't for having back and fourths between SA, willag, and classicalzawa about what they thought of SA's opinions on Princess Tutu. That's not to say that chit-chat doesn't happen there, because it does, but it's not the place to have full on discussions about your own opinions. Throw in the wrench caused by other users who are posting their opinions on what they're watching interspersed in their exchange, and it just doesn't work.

However, a blog system would basically turn Surrender Artist's opinion of Princess Tutu into a review with it's own Talkback section where you wouldn't have to worry about AnimeLover69 disrupting your discussion by posting his 5 sentence thoughts on Nerima Daikon Bros. Blogs are just more personal and I think it's a good avenue to have. In threads you have to focus on a broad topic so to have lots of discussion and opinions, but with a blog you can talk about more specifics things, like your own opinions on a show. I guess another way of putting it is than in a thread you have to talk about Princess Tutu the show and digest dozens of other opinions, which could, and most likely would, divulge into a scattered mess of people posting, but not really talking. In a blog, you post your opinion on Princess Tutu and have discussions with other people about your opinion. It's a single-minded and focused conversation.

I also think it's neat how it gives everyone the power to be a reviewer if they so choose. Sure, you could always make your own website, but, assuming you even have the resources to do so, who's to say you catch on? I'm not a blog expert, but I'm sure even good blogs vanish into the abyss. The internet is an ocean, but ANN could turn that ocean into a neat little fish farm. An ANN blog system gives you the audience you want, it's just up to you at that point to catch them.

Or, you could do what Spastic Minnow said and use it as an expanded comments section for the anime you watch. I mean, could just use the What Are Watching thread to post your thoughts, but why would you? The forums are so kinetic that they'd get lost in the daily shuffle by the next morning (which is a point that also works for my first example).

TL;DR I'm totally down for a blog system.

Last edited by The King of Harts on Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I do not think that The King of Harts's posting is too long -- far from it. My question is this: What rules would pertain for the blog's comment sections?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't see why they can't be the same as the forums rules. Stick to the topic and be nice. Maybe a little less mod intervention so that nothing gets cut short like they do in threads sometimes. Recently in the Preview Guide Talkback, Key put the kibosh on the rape and relevance of manga in Japan discussion, and rightfully so, because it had run its course. However, I think lengthy back and fourths should be allowed to an extent as long as it's not saying the same things constantly and stays civil. If me and Surrender Artist want to go toe to toe about the complexity of Freezing for 20+ posts, we should be allowed to as long as it stays fresh and we don't call each other names.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Another thing to consider is would this new area need moderating or would each individual have power over their own "blog" as in removing comments? If it's directly linked or connected to this site I imagine Tempest you'd want moderators to handle...issues. Otherwise it could delve into bickering and users being rude. I mean we've seen it before where even simple discussions on a show have turned into heated arguments with people arguing and bickering like childish brats. So if this new area/idea were to happen would this area still fall under the purview of ANN's rules and moderation? Or would it be it's own separate entity where each user has their own say so over their "blog area" so to speak? Sorry if my question may be a bit confusing, I'm no programmer etc so I'm not entirely sure how this blog option would work. As in would it be a separate blog situation like at blogspot for example and be connected to a user's profile, or an actual section within the ANN site/forums.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2