• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2 Puella Magi Madoka Magica Films' Last Preview Ads Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Actar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Has it been confirmed when the film will be screen in Singapore? If my hunch is correct, they'd probably screen it at AFA...
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:22 am Reply with quote
I just got back from watching the first film in Kyoto. I have my Kyuubey muffler and everything~

It was quite surprising. If you ask me, I'd say it's a HUGE improvement on the show.
Not to mention, the ending credits have some bonus stuff, including spoiler[ silhouettes of the girls who eventually become the witches who appear in the first movie, but rather than being in magical girl form, they're with their original hairstyles and in school uniforms or something. Plus, you see Madoka in a bigger figure who... is either a vague outline of Ultimate Madoka or even... a new character? Let the speculation begin!]
As for the differences between the BD/DVD release and this movie, here's a list of general things I noticed, spoiler-tagged for those who don't want to know yet:
1) spoiler[They cut quite a bit of some episodes... though I don't believe it really affected the overall experience at all. I've seen the series 14 times before this, so maybe I just remember all the extra details to realize they're missing this time around. I'll have to dissect it later...]
2) spoiler[It does not cut off at episode 6. It cuts off at the end of episode 8! Totally surprised me! That means there's actually some extra time in the second movie. Could there be some big new story developments to fill in the rest of the expected viewing time?!]
3) spoiler[They improved the visuals greatly, kinda like how they improved the visuals in the BD/DVD release compared to the TV/NicoNico broadcast. There were some slight changes in how scenes were directed, too, as well as aesthetic changes to the background that make them more realistic than purposely artistic (though they're still beautilful, if not more so now than before). I also noticed they changed the color of the sky in some events, so those scenes end up taking place at a different time of day.]
4) spoiler[New animated transformation scenes~~~!!! Mami has TWO new transformation scenes. In the one you don't see in the trailer, she's even coming out of a lotus flower...!]
5) spoiler[New opening theme AND animation! It's a bit spoilerific, but the lyrics and visuals are so good...]
And finally... most of all...
6) spoiler[The music. Oh, god, the music. This was probably the unexpected highlight of the film. The entire atmosphere of nearly every witch fight is changed. Gertrud had a cool new rock theme, Charlotte's theme was creepy as all heck (and the scene itself was animated to be even scarier than it was before), and even Mami, when she gets all happy before the fight with Charlotte, has an improvement on her theme. I now dub Kirsten/Elle (the TV box witch) the "Merry-Go-Round" witch. That whole scene was just.... trippy because of the music alone. And even Sayaka's fight with Marisa had opera-like singing in it that just sent chills down my spine...]

So yeah. Definitely worth seeing--especially on the big screen! My ears were almost blown out a few time. =D
why no guest post option?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:33 am Reply with quote
spoiler[a lot were cut off,I always have mix feelings with this kind of movies,and I think on the next part they'll focus on fight scenes,coz of the remaining material]

Juno016 wrote:

spoiler[The music. Oh, god, the music. This was probably the unexpected highlight of the film. The entire atmosphere of nearly every witch fight is changed. Gertrud had a cool new rock theme, Charlotte's theme was creepy as all heck (and the scene itself was animated to be even scarier than it was before), and even Mami, when she gets all happy before the fight with Charlotte, has an improvement on her theme. I now dub Kirsten/Elle (the TV box witch) the "Merry-Go-Round" witch. That whole scene was just.... trippy because of the music alone. And even Sayaka's fight with Marisa had opera-like singing in it that just sent chills down my spine...]

spoiler[most of the fans,including me expected one of the highlights of the movie is the new ost]
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:48 am Reply with quote
why no guest post option? wrote:
spoiler[a lot were cut off,I always have mix feelings with this kind of movies,and I think on the next part they'll focus on fight scenes,coz of the remaining material]

I've seen the series so many times, I probably filled in any blanks the movie didn't have... but still, the movie didn't seem to cut out anything necessarily important. The only scenes I noticed weren't there were some of the scenes that were just... pointless (well, they were deceptively effective) or they were re-affirmations of things already said in the series. With the visuals and music, the movie itself looks and sounds better than it ever was...!

Again, though, I have to go back and look at the screenplay of the BD/DVD to determine whether some of the scenes cut were important or not. I know this series like the back of my hand after watching the whole thing a minimum of 14 times already... 15 after next week, if we count the first two movies.
Animexcel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:05 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Has it been confirmed when the film will be screen in Singapore? If my hunch is correct, they'd probably screen it at AFA...

I totally read that with your voice in my head after all those figma reviews, haha. But yeah, hope it gets screened there. I'm here in Chicago and can not wait for this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1