• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Eureka Seven: AO (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:48 am Reply with quote
I hate it when I'm watching a show (or reading a book or any kind of storytelling medium) and when I get to the end, feel like nothing happened.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Was I complaining that the show would go on hiatus at the moment of most complication and mystery? I take it back! I take it back! I think almost everything has been explained now.

spoiler[Now we know Ao's world is definitely not the same one as Renton and Eureka's. Still not clear whether we're dealing with alternate universes or simulations, but the Scub Coral is the bridge from the world of the original series into them. That's why Elena saw the moon with the heart on it-- because Eureka had to move her through Eureka's world to go from one part of Elena's world to another (or one time to another).

The bridge was probably formed at the end of the first series, when the Scubs explained that some of them had to split off and go elsewhere.

Eureka is trapped on that bridge, in between timelines, universes, whatever they are. Renton is going from one to another of whatever they are looking for her. The place where we just saw him is neither his original world nor Ao's, but another alternative. Apparently even going nuts with the Quartz Gun doesn't save humanity.

The Secrets are, as they claimed, somehow birthed from a defensive reaction as the Scub invasions start changing a timeline. The non-humanoid Secrets seem to personify events in the original timeline (e.g. the one with electrical powers that appears to have originated at the point of Benjamin Franklin's kite experiment). Which leads to the question of what the humanoid Secrets personify. BTW, everyone noticed that the front of Ao's Nirvash's helmet had the same asymmetrical spike that's coming out of the humanoid Secrets' heads, right?

So everywhere the Scubs go, they set off this reaction and humankind gets killed off in the crossfire. The problem is finding an accomodation. And the solution is Truth... if they can take all the crazy out of the equation somehow.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:29 am Reply with quote
And another thing: You're all aware by now that "Miller" and "mirror" transliterate to the same thing in the Japanese syllabary? I just realized late last night that spoiler[the same is true for "truth" and "truce"].
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Banken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote
The difference is that one of those words isn't used in Japanese at all... whereas one is.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:26 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
The difference is that one of those words isn't used in Japanese at all... whereas one is.

Is "Miller" a Japanese word, then?
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Mirror is, "truce" is not.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
Mirror is, "truce" is not.

So one word in each of these pairs is definitely not Japanese... um, and this invalidates the linguistic coincidence how?
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:20 am Reply with quote
It's not a coincidence. At all. Lots of things sound the same in Japanese because it's a language with a very limited range of consonants. And "truce" is not a loan-word they use in Japanese. While yes, "truth" pronounced in Japanese sounds more like "truce," it doesn't mean it's intentional. Why would they a connection that only native English-speaking fans would get in the Japanese dub?

If I'm proven wrong, I will eat my words. But until then, I seriously, seriously doubt the connection.

Of course, if they dub the show, "Miller" won't sound anything like "mirror" anymore.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:59 am Reply with quote
OVA

This was a pretty LOL OVA.
Especially Ao as a girl part ^^
Well, Ao did want to be part of the PR team LOL
It totally backfired on him though.
Think he'll be careful what he wishes for in the future!
The snowman Secret kinda saved this OVA from being all girly.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
It's not a coincidence. At all. Lots of things sound the same in Japanese because it's a language with a very limited range of consonants.

Whoa, let's back up and review the definition of "coincidence": "[A] striking occurrence of two or more events at one time apparently by mere chance."

I'm not sure yet whether I think it's deliberate. But it's an interesting happenstance that seemed to merit a brief amused comment.

Quote:
Why would they a connection that only native English-speaking fans would get in the Japanese dub?

Well, (1) it's not necessary to understanding the plot so why not; (2) why would they put the title in English or make reference to an old British TV show if they're only catering to the lowest common denominator; and (3) are you really trying to suggest that no Japanese person is capable of learning enough English to notice?
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Petrea Mitchell wrote:
(3) are you really trying to suggest that no Japanese person is capable of learning enough English to notice?

Considering that I teach English in Japan, in my experience it's not that they can't, simply that the vast, vast majority don't.

In my opinion for it to be a coincidence it would have to sound like two words in Japanese, not for the Japanese pronunciation (which also sounds like "two-ruth" if you want to get really anal) to just happen to sound like something different in Japanese. At least for the purposes of discussing the show. Otherwise you might as well say that "Ao" sounds like "Ow." Which it does, but isn't really relevant or interesting.
Riddley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:29 pm Reply with quote
This is OTT to the anime but on-topic to your discussion...I've found that the Irish language is probably in a similar position as English in Japan. Everyone has to learn it, and as such very few actually put in the effort to really master it. Irish and English are seen as a cumbersome language and English is considered one of, if not the hardest language to learn for Asian linguistic speakers.

Would that be your experience Banken, or am I off base here?
Banken

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:59 pm Reply with quote
The problem in Japan is that the way they teach English is to pass English tests on high school and college entrance exams instead of actually speaking and understanding the language.

Also, almost everyone learns it from grade 5 to high school, but it's basically just a token effort... Kids in Junior High almost spend as much time cleaning the school as they do learning English in a year. Kids in elementary have more music and art time then English.

I've met more foreigners with fluent Japanese than Japanese with fluent English.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote
From my perspective (which is loaded with ignorance and a lack of first-hand knowledge), the Japanese decided "It would be a good idea for us to know English". Then they decided what English was going to be, and created standardized tests to ensure that everyone learned that definition, *regardless of whether or not that definition was actually realistic*.

From what I've seen, the Japanese have this thing with there being "one right way" for everything, and whenever anything new comes along, they create "one right way" for it, and from then on, everyone follows suit. No one cares if that's how English is really spoken or written: that's the way it has been decided it is spoken and written, so that is what everyone will learn.

I suppose this allows for a lot more uniformity in outcome, but it creates a sort of dissonance with reality, IMO, which can come back and cause serious trouble later on.

Again, this is only my perception of things, which is certainly wrong, I just am not sure how wrong it is.
Fiatsu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I stopped watching the series for quite a few weeks and came back at episode 17.
I couldn't take it after episode 18, this show turned out to be the rape of a good original as my friends warned.

So god damn confusing, no proper story from any direction, human interest or otherwise.

They try to inject feelings into the show from its after effects, emotes etc without and precursors.
If they were attempting to convey feelings without the need for a full conversation or inner monolog then the animation style killed that.

But overall the childish way about it made things >.>

I'm gonna take this Multi Million dollar IFO and fly here for a cup of tea, then after a fight fly here for a conversation with some guy about a random subject that character had nothing to do with before, and finally i'll instantly teliport back to the ship after that conversation and have another chat with another random person about another random subject then frown, Because a 10 second conversation is soooo meaningful.........
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 21