• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
JManga is now offering Kodansha titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrXarnus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm... Maybe I should sent them if they are really working on POD or not.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
truanifan678 wrote:

I can't comment on publishers (like, Viz, Vertical, Yen, etc.) who license a title for print. I don't know if they get the full pages or if they also work from book page scans. I'd love to know the answer to that, but I doubt they'd tell me. ^^;;

Why wouldn't we Smile

It really depends on the age of the book.

If a book has been made in the last 4 to 5 years there are generally digital files for the books.

Older works... Some titles might be on manga paper.

Some things might be on art plates.

Some older works are on film.

Some books...well no files exist. .

Last edited by Vertical_Ed on Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Genet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:51 pm Reply with quote
@Vertical- That was really an interesting read. Thank you for providing insight! I kinda figured that the reason a lot of pubs don't insert color pages is 'cause of the price.

Wow, that's crazy about Chi's Sweet Home's pages costing more than the license itself!! Shocked
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:54 pm Reply with quote
@Vertical Ed

Is there some reason we can't print on Japanese sized paper? I think they use the same sizes as Europe. Are there no printers in the US capable of handling this? Given that Barnes and Noble shelve a variety of different sized manga already that shouldn't be a problem.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Is there some reason we can't print on Japanese sized paper? I think they use the same sizes as Europe. Are there no printers in the US capable of handling this? Given that Barnes and Noble shelve a variety of different sized manga already that shouldn't be a problem.

I think...it's because the manga prints in Japan are smaller. I have the older prints of Sailor Moon (plan to give them to my friend when she pays me back) they're really small to the standard that's being printed these day, about 2-3 inch difference. Besides, even if we did print on smaller sizes, I hardly doubt it would make the prices any cheaper.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:45 pm Reply with quote
aye i got mistakenly sent a copy of GTO that's japanese and id call it travel fun size
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Vertical Ed

Cost. There is a standard rate for specific trim sizes. Go look up paper sizes online and you'll find how paperbacks, mass market trades (romance novels/sci-fi novels/reprints of classics), hardcovers... generally have standard sizes.

For manga there is a standard size that a Canadian printer provides.

Japan and Europe both use ISO sizes, so it is easier to find the same trims. North America and South America use a Canadian standard...

Last edited by Vertical_Ed on Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Genet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
Alan45 wrote:

I think...it's because the manga prints in Japan are smaller. I have the older prints of Sailor Moon (plan to give them to my friend when she pays me back) they're really small to the standard that's being printed these day, about 2-3 inch difference. Besides, even if we did print on smaller sizes, I hardly doubt it would make the prices any cheaper.

Yeah. Japanese tankouban are tiny compared to US releases. Here's a fun little picture I took to compare them.

On the far left, the standard size of manga graphic novels here in the US. In the middle, the average size of shoujo/shounen tankouban in Japan. And on the right is the size that Kodansha's "Complete Works of Tezuka Osamu is being released at (AKA- tiiiny bunko size. ._.) 
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
that reminds me i really gotta pick up ashiteruze baby soon
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Genet wrote:
And on the right is the size that Kodansha's "Complete Works of Tezuka Osamu is being released at (AKA- tiiiny bunko size. ._.) 

Kōdansha's Complete Works of Tezuka Osamu was also published in JIS B6 (128×182mm).

Genet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
hyojodoji wrote:
Genet wrote:
And on the right is the size that Kodansha's "Complete Works of Tezuka Osamu is being released at (AKA- tiiiny bunko size. ._.) 

Kōdansha's Complete Works of Tezuka Osamu was also published in JIS B6 (128×182mm).

Was it? When did they put those out?

I was honestly kind of underwhelmed with these. I really believe that Tezuka should be getting a high-quality release. The books aren't bad or anything, but IMO they're expensive for what you get (Jungle Emperor cost me 840 and 975 yen for each volume respectively)

The Complete Works of Fujiko F Fujio books, for example, are supposed to be amazing (I ordered the first part of Doraemon recently and cannot wait to get it in the mail) and I honestly would pay out the ear for treatment like that for Tezuka's works. So far (At least in recent years) English releases of Tezuka have been really nice and I am really grateful for that.

(Also I hope someone will someday release Jungle Emperor here in the states. I mentioned it to Vertical but I think they said it was a really difficult license)
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Genet wrote:

In the 70s and 80s.

The Selected Works of Fujiko Fujio (Both A and F) was also published in JIS B6 (128×182mm) in the 80s and 90s.

Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Genet wrote:
(Also I hope someone will someday release Jungle Emperor here in the states. I mentioned it to Vertical but I think they said it was a really difficult license)

Yup, DMP was also trying to get it, but they said the Japanese publishing company isn't allowing it to be licensed out...for whatever reason. Sort of weird when you think about the other titles they managed to bring over.
truanifan678

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:36 pm Reply with quote
@Vertical_Ed You are awesome to divulge so many fascinating and insightful details IN detail. That was way more than I expected and I loved it! I read your responses like five times. I aim to go into manga publishing someday so I'm eating everything up like candy. (for lack of a better suited analogy... ^^;; )

Just a few things I guess I'm not fully understanding. What is an "art plate" exactly? What internet search terms would I use to find more information? That has piqued my interest.

Also, you mentioned Tezuka's are on film? Like the pages are on those film slides that libraries had newspaper articles on from when I was a kid had/have and you have to use a special machine to view them? That kind of film?

I'm also wondering (in all my naive manga geek fashion) do you guys normally work directly with the source material (pages, slides, "art plates", and so forth—or does somebody usually process them for you then send you a digitized version? You mentioned sending Shonan Junai Gumi books to Japan to be scanned. Is that type of thing done with everything you guys work on?

Last geek question... What's "shinso" size?

Thank you so very much for all your insight! Anime hyper

@Genet Ooh! Thanks for the side-by-side comparison! I had no idea the JP size vs. the ENG size were so different for the graphic novels.

@Anybody My curiosity has made me wonder, manga that was released AGES ago (before the wonderful age of scanners, internet, and digital everything) what was the process for "localizing" a manga? They were flipped and I'm almost certain all the sfx and text were replaced by hand (actually scratching a pen on paper). What would the process have been like back then? Anybody?
Genet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quote
hyojodoji wrote:
Genet wrote:

In the 70s and 80s.

Oh, you meant those. I thought that you meant that Kodansha was publishing a larger version more recently and I was like, "WHA! Where?!"

I really wanted to be able to get those older editions, since they were bigger (and cost less money individually). I saw that some of the volumes are really hard to come by, though, and I'm assuming they're OOP by now? I recently started using Rakuten, though, and I think I'm going to try to get those older Kodansha editions of his work.

Vata Raven wrote:
Yup, DMP was also trying to get it, but they said the Japanese publishing company isn't allowing it to be licensed out...for whatever reason. Sort of weird when you think about the other titles they managed to bring over.

So, one theory I have (though I don't know if it's supported) is that Jungle Emperor has some kind of racist imagery in it. The story takes place in Africa, and there are some...questionable, to say the least, portrayals of African tribes in the comic.

But that may not explain why the Japanese licenseholders are so reluctant to license out Jungle Emperor...It's a big mystery to me. I hope some time someone can find out and shed light on it.

@truanifan678- Yeah, they're pretty different. I've noticed that seinen titles tend to be published in larger formats (closer to the size of an average graphic novel here in the US)

Shinsoban = a reprinted edition of an older manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5