• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Say, "I Love You" (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:34 pm Reply with quote

Say, "I Love You"
Genres: Romance, School, Shoujo

Plot:

Quote:
Mei Tachibana has spent her 16 years without a boyfriend or friends. One day, she injures the most popular boy in school, Yamato Kurosawa, due to a misunderstanding. For some reason though, it seems that he takes a liking to her and one-sidedly claims that they're friends. Furthermore, he not only protects Mei from a stalker, but does so with a kiss…?!!

Episode 1
Just watched this and thought was cute. It's a typical shoujo series with drama and surprisingly no ecchi. I liked the setting and visual artwork so far. The ED song was also nice and the melody of the series is sweet. Mei is kind of a strange girl though but probably has a kind heart.

spoiler[The stalker scene was predictable although I found it more dramatic later on. That kiss was priceless though.]

Anyways, nice cute series so far for this pilot episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Let's all play a game. Answer the following question: spoiler[Kurosawa has seen Tachibana get backed into, then fall down, then stare daggers at the dude who bumped into her. He is now already totally into her. What did he like so much?] Well, maybe there'll be some conveniently contrived backstory later.

I also can't help but notice the unpopular bullied kid has a small animal friend. I'm sure it'll be fine, though.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:32 am Reply with quote
well i say quite a hmm to watch.

girl who is quiet & don't got friends give have trust issues give accidental kick to guy who seem fallen for girl after kick.

give phone number which later came in cause lead main female get her first kiss?!

oh my so looking to what happen next?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:50 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I liked the first episode, and though some people seem to think Mei might be weird I actually sympathise quite a bit with her situation. I can recall times in highschool where I would see a lot of the popular kids muching around, and I thought they were being idiots, and the bullying too. Why didn't I get some tall and handsome bishounen solve all my problems?

Anyway I like the way Mei is now, sure she could use some friends, but I don't want her to go through some sort of radical change because she is not normal or something. I don't like the idea that she is the one that has done something wrong. I will probably be watching this along with My Little Monster, so double the recluse girls with smiley love interest.

Oh, and in what world is spoiler[forcing yourself onto a girl a way to solve her issues with a stranger] an ok choice.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 am Reply with quote
Kurosawa & Mei. Total opposites.
He wants to get closer, she keeping her distance.
I think she's a bit dense, but will probably let him in eventually.
That Kurosawa sure is one persistent guy ^^
In her hour of need he didn't betray her...
So far, it's nice.
Looks like it's gonna be an autumn full of romance.
Riddley

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I really like the artwork and animation in this. So far so good with the storyline too so will keep my interest peaked for the time being.
underlock

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, I'll never love you Stark700.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Let's all play a game. Answer the following question: spoiler[Kurosawa has seen Tachibana get backed into, then fall down, then stare daggers at the dude who bumped into her. He is now already totally into her. What did he like so much?] Well, maybe there'll be some conveniently contrived backstory later.

my guess: it is because she is different and doesn't fawn all over him the moment he makes an appearance
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:58 am Reply with quote
Not trying to be cynical or anything, but I'm seeing critics like Key give the first episode of this series high marks though what I'm seeing is the typical shoujo romance setup of "female social outcast getting attention from popular male lead" much like past titles such as Hana Yori Dango and Kimi ni Todoke have done. What makes this anime stick out compared to the setup that was used from similar titles such as the ones I've listed above?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Riddley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Not trying to be cynical or anything, but I'm seeing critics like Key give the first episode of this series high marks though what I'm seeing is the typical shoujo romance setup of "female social outcast getting attention from popular male lead" much like past titles such as Hana Yori Dango and Kimi ni Todoke have done. What makes this anime stick out compared to the setup that was used from similar titles such as the ones I've listed above?

That's an excellent point and one that I've been asking myself. For the moment I don't think it truly distinguishes itself from your comparisons just yet but I think it has the potential too.

The differences for me are in the main characters and the interactions between the leads. Like, let's be honest here guys...there are very few actual new ideas. Most are recycled and repackaged.

What makes a good story is if you love the characters and feel their stories are believable within the confines of the world the story exists in.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:24 am Reply with quote
Riddley wrote:
What makes a good story is if you love the characters and feel their stories are believable within the confines of the world the story exists in.

I'm really bad at explaining why I like things ("I LOVE IT, IT'S BRILLIANT" is what I usually tend to say), but that's exactly why I like it.

I found it very easy to identify with Mei and when she told Yamato why she didn't have any friends, it was really tugging at my heartstrings. I can't wait for the next episode.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:33 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I found this very run-of-the-mill territory. I might feel differently if I had never seen a shoujo title in my life, but I have. I'll give it one more eppie but I have a feeling this one is going to end up on the chopping block.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:18 am Reply with quote
Episode 2
Ya, Mei is still thinking about last time. Ha.

Anyways, it was a bittersweet episode with a bittersweet OP song. There's some jealousy coming from Mei but hey, it's high school and that's normal.

Ah, the drama.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:05 am Reply with quote
So in episode 2 spoiler[she gets a friend, helps said friend get a boyfriend, gets jealous over her love interest with someone else, but still ends up with the boy.] It is all going alright, but personally I think even the bishounen has some issues he may need to go through. Seems he spoiler[liked a girl before, but she only now decided to return his feelings, and he brushed her off], I see extra bullying comeing up.

I am generally reminded of how some of Kimi ni Todoke went, though the characters in this seem to go much quicker then what we had to go through for Sawako and Kazehaya. I am always a fan of those scenes where the main character is teased by two (there are words but I would not use them)... maybe mean girls in the toilets, and our character has to overcome it. I am not happy that the girl has to go through it, but they often work out nicely.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:50 am Reply with quote
LOL at when she said spoiler[ the kiss was good as fried chicken.]. I am glad that the 2 romantic shows has had the spoiler[kiss and confession in the first couple of episodes.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 12