• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:40 pm Reply with quote
ZorgonXtreme wrote:
Also, anime Kirito just looks like a doofus by spoiler[ saying "Oh, I can't use skills" and then uses a skill. ]

I think he did it out of anger. His helplessness resulted in rage, so he used a stronger attack, even though it wasn't a good idea. It was pretty much the equivalent to someone swinging wildly when their opponent is too good at blocking.

@jsc315 This isn't the end of this season. This was only episode 14 of 25.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
kpk wrote:
WTF?

This series has more than 10 (!!) Volumes?!?!

So you're telling me that after all THAT they're still gonna enter other virtual worlds? Why?

Well, in the next arc spoiler[Asuna's mind never went back to her body and was instead moved to a new game. Kirito enters the game to free her.]

So she becomes a useless damsel in distress AGAIN?

Ugh.....KAWAHARAAAAAAA!! STOP MAKING ALL YOUR FEMALE CHARACTERS USELESS
IndeterminateForm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
Well, in the next arc spoiler[Asuna's mind never went back to her body and was instead moved to a new game. Kirito enters the game to free her.]

So she becomes a useless damsel in distress AGAIN?

Ugh.....KAWAHARAAAAAAA!! STOP MAKING ALL YOUR FEMALE CHARACTERS USELESS
It's actually a bit worse than that.
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:06 pm Reply with quote
After sitting on the episode for a while, I think I can buy the whole 'Kiriko's enraged, looses control' aspect. Good enough.

I keep think of things I'd like to say, so excuse the many posts...

But that sky in the latter half of the episode is frigging beautiful. Nothing else in the show looked THAT amazing. It's like the production studio saved half the budget just for that sky. It's gorgeous.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote
ZorgonXtreme wrote:
Nothing else in the show looked THAT amazing.

Pssh, this scene* disagrees with you. Laughing

*SPOILERS FOR THIS EPISODE! Don't watch until you've caught up.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:39 pm Reply with quote
ZorgonXtreme wrote:
But that sky in the latter half of the episode is frigging beautiful. Nothing else in the show looked THAT amazing. It's like the production studio saved half the budget just for that sky. It's gorgeous.

Oh, you'll get no disagreement from me on that. Without question the prettiest artistry in the whole series.

You'll also get no protest from me on the various factors that people are complaining about, whether it's the anticlimactic conclusion to the boss battle or the various ridiculous factors in spoiler[the Heathcliff/Kirito showdown. (Yeah, I'd like my SAO sundae with a whopping big dollop of deus ex machina, please!)] This episode did some things very well - such as the final sequences with Kirito and Asuna and the lead-up to the big battle, but much of the rest of it felt like it was jammed in there because the writer couldn't be bothered to come up with something smoother.

And I really wish I hadn't read some of the spoiler tags about what's coming next. It irritates me greatly that they're going to pull the stunt that it sounds like they're going to pull to set up the next story arc. But I guess we'll get the details next episode, and I am looking forward to seeing how the real-world scenes play out.

Last edited by Key on Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote
So episode 14 was spoiler[indeed game clearing, I guess some of you were thinking it would differently because the show said 100 floors, and by george it should have 100 floors.]

I did not really find it anticlimactic, at the height of the fight spoiler[Asuna somehow managed to bypass the game preset limitations of paralysis, and protected Kirito. Kirito lost his will to fight at full strength, what he treasured more than anything was gone, and as his spirit was fading, as was his HP. But just as it hits zero, no, he won't let it end like this, and defying the game's engine he does a final attack back. Kind of like how Neo stands up after being shot, but with a lot less Hugo Weaving.]

So where do we go from here? And for the source knowledgable, that is a rhetorical question, please remember to post that it is a LN spoiler before the spoiler tag, I already have to deal with a big mouthed brother.

And this was quite the emotional episode, how much more do these two have to show their love to make it feel real. And as for the part where Kirito said that he should not use spoiler[dual weilding, I took this to mean that he should not use the automatic skill combos that came with the leveling, instead useing his own made combos.]
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:18 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
And as for the part where Kirito said that he should not use spoiler[dual weilding, I took this to mean that he should not use the automatic skill combos that came with the leveling, instead useing his own made combos.]

I believe your interpretation was actually explicitly said - at least in the Crunchyroll stream, anyway.

Also, I've found these pics concerning the next story arc. They are absolutely spoilerish, so don't click on them if you're not already familiar with the LNs and don't want to know where things are going:

Pic 1 (Notice who else appears in this one!)
Pic 2

One other good thing that I will say about the way things wrapped up, though: The way that things play out does reinforce that A-1 Pictures made the right call in including all of those side stories in chronological order.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rosebowl89

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:42 pm Reply with quote
If you have watched Accel World, it is the opinions of a lot of people including myself that spoiler[ Asuna breaking the Paralysis and kirito stopping his death ] is a very very early glimpse at spoiler[ The incarnate system, using the strength of their wills to alter the computer world ]

Now with some sadness on to alfheim online, my least favorite ark.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote
@rosebowl89 I had perceived the spoiler[incarnate system to be hidden, but programmed. It is literally impossible for them to create something without it being within the confines of the system. I suppose this may be where suspension of disbelief comes into play.]
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:03 am Reply with quote
What I think I'm going to like best about Fairy Dance is spoiler[ That there's not many, if any, side-stories to interject into the real meat of the story. I liked the side stories in SOA, but I think that in the anime the producers / writers could've gone the extra mile and integrated them into the main story so that they were had more impact emotionally.

Also, to everybody saying that it's stupid that Kirito (or Kazuto) goes back, keep in mind that it's a continuation of the main story and it works a completely different relationship, that is, of Kirito and his sister . True, Asuna becomes little more then a damsel in distress, but at the end of it all everything works together as one big story. ]
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:09 am Reply with quote
Well that was quick. Here's a Preview of the upcoming next story arc in SAO.

The Video
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:13 am Reply with quote
DEMOLITION D+ wrote:
All of these spoiler tags are terrifying.

I have to agree with this, I am struggling not to click on them...must not click, muct not...not...grrrr
I just caught up on this and wanted to see what others were saying, but I don't want to know what is coming up next!
I am liking what I have seen so far though, really easy to watch at least.
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:45 am Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
Well that was quick. Here's a Preview of the upcoming next story arc in SAO.

[url= Video[/url]

Well, spoiler[Kirito's sister is adorable]

Thank god
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:10 am Reply with quote
The boss fight ended quite anti-climaticly considering how amazing it was looking by the end of last episode. Also, it's a shamespoiler[ the game clearing] was rushed so much, I thought spoiler[Kayaba's/Heathcliff's storyline of betrayal and becoming the last boss] was actually a pretty neat idea.

Also, if not for the episode preview, I would've thought this was the end of the show. In spite of the rush, it seemed like a pretty nice end, with the right amount of feeling and hope, especially after that beautiful scenery of the iron castle with Asuna and Kirito watching and the emotional charge of it all. I can't even conceive there's more to it, and it kind of disheartens me, because I'd bet it's not gonna be all that great.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 75 of 274