• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I want to start a Manga Collection.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rozzer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Greetings Anime/Manga freaks,

I currently own ZERO Manga titles, and for the longest time, I have always wanted to buy and start a collection. Very much the same as I have been collecting Spawn comics, I want to do the same with Manga. But I do not know of any good titles to start with, so I am asking everyone here, to compile a list, so that I can start a collection.

The best place that I know to buy Manga, is Robert's Anime Corner Store. Since I already buy all the anime movies I have from them. So I would really appreciate if anyone reading this post can help me out.

So I would like to say thanks to everyone in advance, and I hope to hear from someone soon.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Well... one would think to collect what one likes...

Asking for reccomended titles?

Well, since you have anime already, maybe you should start there... most anime titles were manga first.

Really, the question is so vague since you don't bother to mention what kind of things you like, that I can't give you anything more to go on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Rozzer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:35 am Reply with quote
Well, I was hoping people would post some of their favorite titles. But if you would like me to be more specific, I would like to buy stories that:

1. Stories of Demons and battles w/ the Underworld.
2. Stories of mental material, having to do with psychological thriller/suspense.
3. Stories of Comedy or anything that give a good laugh, IE. Goldenboy type material.
4. Stories of Romance but have a darker side, nothing to cheesy, and prefrebly where one lover is lost and the story goes from there.

You can get the basic idea, but I am also open to suggestions of other great stories.

Hope that helps. Wink
Magatsu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:42 am Reply with quote
Maison Ikkoku and Ranma 1/2 for and comedy.
3*3 Eyes I think it is apropriote for the Demon story.

But if you want to know my favourites they are at the bottom:
Lone Wolf & Cub
Blade of the Immortal
Nausicaa of the VAlley of Wind
Silent Mobieus
Vagabond
Ranma 1/2
Dark Angel
(in no particular order)
SkullKnight

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:31 am Reply with quote
If you like dark prophecy type stuff you'd like X/1999 by clamp

If you can wait awhile, There is Berserk and Rurouni Kenshin coming out later this year.

If you like fighting, girls, swords, and panties, you'd like Tenjo Tenge (not for the easily offended, you have to get fan translations)

You can always pick up shonen jump.

Or buy newtype and read the manga inserts. there running full metal panic right now i think.
Yuki555

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:04 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I think you should buy some anime magazines first since they have manga in there like Newtype-USA or Animerica. I don't have much manga either but you should check out Fushigi Yuugi, it's really good.

buy.com have manga at cheaper prices I think, so you might want to go there too.
NawkXela

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:33 am Reply with quote
I agree with my fellow manga fans
that some good mangas are:

Blade of the Immortal
Ranma 1/2 (sometimes a bit silly and childish)
3x3 eyes
x/1999

Some of my own sugestions are:

Akira- yes, there is a manga of it too
Samurai Deeper Kyo- better than blade of the immortal~ in a way
Planet Ladder- From what I read it's pretty evil to me
GTO- Not to DARK and all, but sometimes cruel and funny.
Ragnarok- Heros fight Evil Norse demons/gods
Naruto- no super evil/dark powers thing, but good shinobi action!
Zenitram

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Cowboy Bebop: Shooting Stars (two volume alternate story)
Gundam Wing
Gundam Wing: The Last Outpost
The All New Tenchi Muyo! Alien Nation
Ragnarok (its Korean,manwha)

Thats all of I can think of right now...
Rozzer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Right on, I really appreciate you guys filling me in on your favorite titles of Manga, so I can start my own collection. And since you guys say that all the Anime I love, was first Manga, that really gives me a lot of books I need to purchase. So once again, thanks!
DragonZero

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Two Manga series I think may suite your tastes would be:

Inu-Yasha:

Fifteen-year-old schoolgirl Kagome Higurashi, whose family tends a shrine, falls into an old well one day and literally tumbles into ancient Japanese history. On the other side she meets Inu-Yasha, the dog-like demon who claims she smells just like the woman who fifty years ago pinned him with her arrow to a tree, where he's been all this time. Unwilling allies at first (try's to kill her), the two become closer as their search for the sacred "Jewel of Four Souls" continues. If Kagome really is the reincarnation of the shrine-maiden Kayos, can it be that she's becoming jealous of herself...?. Fighting battles with Inu-Yasha's half brother, his moral enemy. Fighting the evil half demon Naraku or just killing off various demons the action and horror are depicted in humorous and horrifying ways. Kagome's fiery temper clashes with Inu-Yasha's own (not his best idea) her subduing ability of 'sit' literally smashes him into the ground. The adventure seems to never stop as they meet their new comrades.

This series is one of my personal favorites and prefer the Manga to the Anime, as the Manga seems to explain more. Originally an expense series, Viz, its publisher, has reproduced the Inu-Yasha Manga's for $8.95. If you need more information on price's, etc. visit: http://www.freewebs.com/dragonzero

Rebirth:

Three hundred years ago the Sorcerer Kalutika Maybus sealed the vampire Deshwitat in limbo after killing his fiancee, Lilith. For centuries, Deshwitat's mind calculated revenge while his body slumbered ... until now. A band of spiritual investigators has inadvertently broken the seal that binds him, and Deshwitat has been released.

A lot has changed since the 17th century. Carriages have bee replaced by cars, the Internet connects the world, and vampires have become the stuff of legends. But beneath the veneer of technology, magic and religion still reign supreme. Kalutika is the most powerful person in the world, although few actually know he exists. Prophecy foretold that Kalutika would destroy the Earth. Deshwitat's quest is now not just one of revenge, but of redemption ... for himself, and the world.
Joined by an excommunicated exorcist and a spiritual investigator, Deshwitat begins his bloodquest. The hunted is now the hunter.

This series has currently only released three volumes all priced at $9.99 for more information on this series visit: http://www.tokyopop.com/

Hope that helps! Anime catgrin
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:18 pm Reply with quote
another manga that is pretty good, though very hard to find, is Tokyo Babylon, which is the prequel to X/1999, it tells the story of Subaru and Seishiro and what happened between them, there is also Wish, which is only about 4-5 vols. long so its a relatively short series...I generally think that Clamp's works are very good, which some dark tones but also a lighter side to it...
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Anything from Junji Ito(Tomie, Uzumaki, Gyo) fulfills #1, City Hunter fits #3, and Mars fits #4. The upcoming Ring manga will probably work for #2.
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I've also found that a good place to buy anime is at conventions. you can usually find good deals there as well as get opinions from other people.
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:34 pm Reply with quote
sorry, I meant to say manga. because they usually have used manga that you can get great deals on...used anime is generally harder to get good deals on because its harder to see if its defective...
teddiboy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Rozzer wrote:
Greetings Anime/Manga freaks,

I currently own ZERO Manga titles, and for the longest time, I have always wanted to buy and start a collection. Very much the same as I have been collecting Spawn comics, I want to do the same with Manga. But I do not know of any good titles to start with, so I am asking everyone here, to compile a list, so that I can start a collection.

The best place that I know to buy Manga, is Robert's Anime Corner Store. Since I already buy all the anime movies I have from them. So I would really appreciate if anyone reading this post can help me out.

So I would like to say thanks to everyone in advance, and I hope to hear from someone soon.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2