• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fate/Zero, K-ON Wins Top Prizes in Newtype Anime Awards

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:18 am Reply with quote
Glad to see that Idolmaster got so much love. Its a really underappreciated series in the West.

Heres the whole list, if anyone is interested:

Best TV Anime (Top 10)
*1, Fate/Zero
*2, The iDOLM@STER
*3, Nisemonogatari
*4, Tari Tari
*5, Hyouka
*6, Mouretsu Pirates
*7, Sword Art Online
*8, Haiyore! Nyaruko-san
*9, Kuroko no Basket
10, Mawaru Penguindrum

Best Movie (Top 3)
1, K-On! Movie
2, Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha: The Movie 2nd A's
3, Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki

Best Director (Top 3)
1, Nishigori Atsushi (The iDOLM@STER)
2, Aoki Ei (Fate/Zero)
3, Shinbo Akiyuki (Nisemonogatari)

Best Script Writer (Top 3)
1, Machida Tohko (The iDOLM@STER)
2. ufotable (Fate/Zero)
3, Hashimoto Masakazu (Tari Tari)

Best Character Designer
2, Sudoh Tomonori and Ikariya Atsushi (Fate/Zero)
3, Nishiya Futoshi (Hyouka)

Best Theme Song (Top 3)
1, "Ready!!" (The iDOLM@STER)
2, "to the beginning" (Fate/Zero)
3, "Change!!!!" (The iDOLM@STER)

Best Studio (Top 3)
1, ufotable
2, A-1 Pictures
3, Kyoto Animation

Best Actor (Top 3)
1, Ohtsuka Akio
2, Kamiya Hiroshi
3, Koyama Rikiya

Best Actress
1, Nakamura Eriko
2, Sawashiro Miyuki
3, Hanazawa Kana

Best Mecha Design (Top 3)
1, Mouretsu Pirates
2, Eureka Seven AO
3, Aquarion Evol

Best Sound Effect (Top 3)
1, Kajiura Yuki (Fate/Zero)
2, Takada Ryuichi (The iDOLM@STER)
3, Hamaguchi Shiro (Tari Tari)

Best Female Character (Top 3)
1, Amami Haruka
2, Saber
3, Chitanda Eru

Best Male Character (Top 3)
1, Rider
2, Araragi Koyomi
3, Emiya Kiritsugu

Best Mascot Character (Top 3)
1, Hamuzo (The iDOLM@STER)
2, Rinon
3, Shantak-kun

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=501263
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:30 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Glad to see that Idolmaster got so much love. Its a really underappreciated series in the West.

It sure does seem like it. I might need to check it out, especially if it deals with the unreasonable expectations that Japanese idols have to deal (no dating, no kissing?, being perfect).
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:34 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

It sure does seem like it. I might need to check it out, especially if it deals with the unreasonable expectations that Japanese idols have to deal (no dating, no kissing?, being perfect).

Nah, its about them being cute and dancing and singing songs. Its the big new moe series after K-On though, and has already spawned a new fad of idol anime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g_Wm6WUkew

Thats the OP that won best of the year.
Saffire

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:49 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
It's an idyllic view of what an idol is like, but I disagree with Ryan's assessment that it's just "cute girls singing and dancing". There's a ton of drama and characterization packed in amongst the moe. K-On this ain't.

I'll put it this way. Even Zac isn't down on this show.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:59 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Nah, its about them being cute and dancing and singing songs. Its the big new moe series after K-On though, and has already spawned a new fad of idol anime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g_Wm6WUkew

Thats the OP that won best of the year.

I suspected that. Thanks for the list. I am glad to see some love for Tari Tari. I agree that ufotable, A-1 Pictures and Kyoto Animation deserve to be the top 3 spots for best studio, but I think SHAFT is also among this elite.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:24 am Reply with quote
Nice to see that Mawaru Penguindrum is on the list although itis only tenth.
Quote:
Best Director (Top 3)
2, Aoki Ei (Fate/Zero)
3, Shinbo Akiyuki (Nisemonogatari)

What the hell?For gods sake people,simply putting this fellow in the same category as Aoki Ei or Shinbo Akiyuki is crime of its own kind,let alone saying that he is better then they are.
Quote:
1, Mouretsu Pirates
2, Eureka Seven AO
3, Aquarion Evol

Did I miss something while watching Bodacious Space Pirate cause I clearly dont remember any mecha that appeared in it.Guess that tells you enough about the credibility of list.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:36 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Any more second opinions out there? That post right there is undermining the series.

Quote:
Quote:
1, Mouretsu Pirates
2, Eureka Seven AO
3, Aquarion Evol

Did I miss something while watching Bodacious Space Pirate cause I clearly don't remember any mecha that appeared in it.Guess that tells you enough about the credibility of list.

Technically, mecha really encompasses anything mechanical like spaceships and vehicles; it's not just only for giant robots.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:46 am Reply with quote
What's generally thought of as "mecha" over here just gets called "robot" in Japan. That said, this article really ought to have just used "mechanical".
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:53 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Any more second opinions out there? That post right there is undermining the series..

http://myanimelist.net/anime/10278/The_iDOLM@STER/userrecs

Here are all the recommended series by MAL users, if you want to know what other series its similar to.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:19 am Reply with quote
Well with all the Idolmaster wins maybe there will be anther season soon
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:34 pm Reply with quote
i heard alot of complain about k-on over the year, then i watched the movie. I don't know why are people complaining about a normal anime. Probably very popular for kids and girls too.
TeenChibi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm so happy to see The iDOLM@STER winning so many awards and it deserved everyone that it got!

For me, The iDOLM@STER set a whole new standard for "moé" anime by making the characters not only keep their quirks, but also allow them to have such impressive character development. These girls don't sit around and do shit all day, wallowing in their cuteness to win audiences easily. They actually have admirable goals with nice character arcs to get the viewer to legitimately care about them. Even the drama is sincere which moé anime usually fails to do without feeling manipulative or forced. By the point the drama sets in, we know the characters well enough to adore them to brings us a very logical (whilst surprising dark considering the genre) turn of events for the outcome of becoming an idol in a group.

Atsushi Nishigori's direction is impeccable. Seriously, you can feel the love and effort put into this series. Filled with wonderful animation and potent storyboarding, you can tell the staff had fun creating this for the fans (while enjoying the franchise themselves). Not many anime can really display the feeling of empathy from the creators as much as this series did which I'm starting to believe is a trait of Atsushi Nishigori since the same feeling can be found in Gurren Lagann and Panty & Stocking. I'm really looking forward to more anime in the future from him.

So no, it wasn't just cute girls singing, it has a ton of heart. Displaying fun, cuteness, and depth to provide us with a great experience. The iDOLM@STER was undeniably one of the best anime of 2011 right along with Madoka, Penguindrum, Fate/Zero, Tiger & Bunny, Steins;Gate, etc... (Remember there were A LOT of high quality anime last year can't name them all off of the top of my head.)[/u]
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
It's an idyllic view of what an idol is like, but I disagree with Ryan's assessment that it's just "cute girls singing and dancing". There's a ton of drama and characterization packed in amongst the moe. K-On this ain't.

I'll put it this way. Even Zac isn't down on this show.

I absolutely agree. Even though hearing the awesome songs, and beautiful/cute dances makes me very happy, I love the characters and who they are, they have so much development and seem somewhat human compared to many other characters.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if I'm missing the new Evangelion by not watching Idolm@ster or if it just got a shitload of awards for its moe stuff. The comments here don't offer any more than "K-ON but with actual idols" so really, I don't get it.

Other than that, Rider as best male and Akio Ohtsuka (Rider) as best Voice Actor get my full approval.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:16 pm Reply with quote
TeenChibi wrote:

For me, The iDOLM@STER set a whole new standard for "moé" anime by making the characters not only keep their quirks, but also allow them to have such impressive character development.

This sorta demonstrates that you have no idea what you are talking about. Yes, Idolmaster did that. Its hardly the first "moe" show to do so.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3