• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Claymore GN 20

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:05 am Reply with quote
Its definitely interesting enough. and it's not just Clare and Priscella that have been disabled tempoarily. it's also the same for raki too.

and the ending is the definiton of the word cliffhanger.

Though what will have me scratching my head will be vol 21 whenspoiler[ they bring back former claymores that are dead. it would be way too creepy if they bring back the loony ophelia back. but it will be even more confusing if they bring back teresa of the faint smile back from the dead.]

Hopefully its nothing out of the ordinary to turn off fans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:24 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

Though what will have me scratching my head will be vol 21 whenspoiler[ they bring back former claymores that are dead. it would be way too creepy if they bring back the loony ophelia back. but it will be even more confusing if they bring back teresa of the faint smile back from the dead.]

They don't. It's three we've never seen before so don't worry.
nechronius

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:36 am Reply with quote
I just skimmed Volume 20. I definitely enjoyed the cliffhanger and the strength of the volume shows that we don't need Clare's personal conflict all the time.

There was one exchange of dialogue though that rather bothered me.

spoiler[How does the organization not know whose arm was stuck into Raki?] Not even a guess? Sure it's not the same as a photo ID, but if the organization knows well enough about all of their former number ones, spoiler[Surely they would have known at least by circumstantial evidence that a young rising number 2 was responsible for the death of perhaps their greatest #1, Teresa.] The incident wasn't THAT long ago. Could the people involved in the discussion know it but not say it as a way to keep their cards close to their chest? It doesn't seem like it would be the case. I think the author would have alluded to it if that was the case.
Ensof

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:41 am Reply with quote
From the article:

Quote:
The cadence of the dialogue leans too much towards melodrama at times.

"Just as your eyebrows suggest, you are a passionate one."

Definitely the cheesiest line of dialogue I've read this year. For me it only added to the enjoyment, though.
nechronius

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Some lines of dialogue are definitely guffaw worthy. Makes me wonder if we don't need to define a new dialect for the language, "Epic English" where everything must be phrased for melodrama and epic-ness.

I ended up answering my own question covered in spoiler tags by skimming as yet "unreleased in English" chapters. I am a bit surprised at how prodigious the organization has been in making generations of Claymores in any case, so maybe not knowing is pretty forgivable.

A few Claymore graphic novel reviews ago I made a prediction that Claymore would end in 23 volumes. I still think that my prediction is pretty close without a major plot change (the dragon tribe, anyone?). Or maybe I'm just looking forward to having the complete Claymore collection sitting in my shelf next to Cross Game and the never to be finished Berserk...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1