• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Adds Original 1973 Cutey Honey TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Today was a good day. Cutie Honey licensed and the Tigers win game one. Who's awesome? You, Discotek. You're awesome.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
Ted_the_bear2001 wrote:
Fronzel wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Wow, Discotek keeps getting classics. I wonder if they could pick up the 1974 original Space Battleship Yamato. That would be sweet.

Have whatever licenses which allowed the Star Blazers version to be put together lapsed?

Unless if Discotek starts a partnership with Voyager Entertainment, I doubt that will ever happen. Tim Eldred once mentioned that Voyager has been trying to gets the rights for years.

Voyager confirmed on Facebook afew weeks ago that Star Blazers and Space Battleship Yamato were treated as completely seperate licenses, so if another company wanted to pick up just the Japanese version they would probably be able to. However, I doubt Discotek (or anyone else) even realizes this.

Well someone should contact Discotek and ask them to see if they can pick up Yamato uncut. Also if Voyager Entertainment wants to team up with Discotek to help release Yamato uncut, let them. It works for WEP when they team up with Media Blaster to release Go Lion and Dairugger XV (the 2 shows that make up Voltron).

Last edited by mdo7 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:03 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Discotek, YOU ROCK!!!! Very Happy

THANK YOU! THANK YOU FOR LICENSING CUTEY HONEY!!!
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Discotek, you've made me realize that there are series I am interested in that I didn't even realize I was interested in! How do you do that?

I'm looking forward to checking Cutey Honey out. Thank you for your awesome licenses.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
stararnold

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to Diskotek, anime fans in North American finally experience the first magical girl-as-transforming superheroine anime in front of their eyes. Plus, this should make up for the void left behind in Canada in terms of the commercial distribution of magical girl anime after Pretty Cure went of the Canadian airwaves.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Somehow I noticed the Mazinger Z post but overlooked this one earlier. I wanted this so badly but I never would have expected it. This is truly a wonderful day for me, although my wallet is looking as though it could use some antidepressants.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:29 am Reply with quote
Wonderful.

Now where's Re:?
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:34 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Also if Voyager Entertainment wants to team up with Discotek to help release Yamato uncut, let them. It works for WEP when they team up with Media Blaster to release Go Lion (the uncut version of Voltron).

And they also released all of Dairugger XV (the uncut Vehicle Voltron) during the last few months of their deal.
E-Master

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:11 am Reply with quote
An anime TV series that was never licensed in America(excluding it's sequals and spin-offs) is an awesome annoucement. I'm still keeping my hopes up that they'll consider licensing the other two Lupin TV series. I don't care what messures it would take to license the Red Jacket series, but if they're able to obtain it that would make my day.

Until that day comes, I'm very open for more anime TV series that were either unlicensed or were licensed before until expiration took effect.
Bamble

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:06 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Wonderful.

Now where's Re:?

Good point.

Not to take anything away from Discotek's seriously awesome news, but somewhere there's got to be a semi-interesting story as to why Re: never got licensed. Unrealistic expectations from Dynamic? But then why was the live-action movie released...?
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:00 am Reply with quote
Go Nagai's designs have aged very well. Apart from the clothing fashion, they still look great

TheHTRO wrote:
Despite being an older show from the 1970s, unfortunately, it does contain nudity (I'm told it was one of the earliest TV anime series in Japan to be made that way), so I'm afraid I won't be picking this up. J

*perks up* Laughing
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Also if Voyager Entertainment wants to team up with Discotek to help release Yamato uncut, let them. It works for WEP when they team up with Media Blaster to release Go Lion (the uncut version of Voltron).

And they also released all of Dairugger XV (the uncut Vehicle Voltron) during the last few months of their deal.

Well that too. But anyway, just sayin. Laughing
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Seems like Sentai's supply of the New Cutey Honey OVA is running low, news like this might make them want to put it back into print.
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe they're putting both Cutey Honey and Mazinger Z out!! There is a God out there! Man...excited beyond belief. I may as well just devote my life to them from now on, hehe, 'cause they're sure as hell gonna get a lot of my money. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
lostrune

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Cutey Honey? C'mon Discotek, we don't need more trashy fanservice otaku-pandering anime. Give us some respectable stuff like Chihayafuru Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3