• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote
im a bit lost, which of the reviewers is Key?

Last edited by getchman on Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Theron
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:53 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
im a bit lost, which of the reviews is Key?

Key is Theron Martin.

Also, Rebecca Silverman is Princess_Irene. Zac Bertschy is Zac. Bamboo Dong is ANN_Bamboo. Can't remember Carl and Carlo's user names right now.

Last edited by Mad_Scientist on Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:54 pm Reply with quote
cool, thanks guys
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
I'm not sure why someone with magic or whatever capable of pulling people through dimensions decided to grab a game player and fling him onto the scene to save the princess, but I assume it will be explained later.

Maybe that someone saw "Those Who Hunt Elves" and thought, "Hey, that's pretty cool. Why don't I try that?" And *bam*! Done!
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, I've seen my first and probably last episode of Magi now. There was some nice animation, but nothing else that appealed to me even slightly. Can characters *please* act like people? Aladdin, keep your hands to yourself (how old are you supposed to be anyway?); Alibaba, do you always invite people who steal and get you in trouble to crash at your place?

I do have one spoilery question for those who know the comics: spoiler[Are they in a game? I ask because Alibaba used the words "kouryaku" and "kuria" to refer to exploring and "clearing" the tower, and both of these terms are very common in Japanese gaming (heard frequently in SAO).] In a show as haphazard in its setting as this one seems to be, this may not be much evidence to base a prediction on, but I did wonder about that, since those two words seemed really out of place.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
getchman wrote:
im a bit lost, which of the reviews is Key?

Key is Theron Martin.

Also, Rebecca Silverman is Princess_Irene. Zac Bertschy is Zac. Bamboo Dong is ANN_Bamboo. Can't remember Carl and Carlo's user names right now.

And in therons case it would be useless for them to re-review it since a bad sub should only decrease your enjoyment of the show (unless the subs are making fun of the show but we will assume they are trying to communicate the story to the audience honestly)

I still say though that you owe it to the people who worked on the show, the story, and yourself to watch a show with quality subs if it is not in a language you completly understand.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Well, I've seen my first and probably last episode of Magi now. There was some nice animation, but nothing else that appealed to me even slightly. Can characters *please* act like people? Aladdin, keep your hands to yourself (how old are you supposed to be anyway?); Alibaba, do you always invite people who steal and get you in trouble to crash at your place?

I do have one spoilery question for those who know the comics: spoiler[Are they in a game? I ask because Alibaba used the words "kouryaku" and "kuria" to refer to exploring and "clearing" the tower, and both of these terms are very common in Japanese gaming (heard frequently in SAO).] In a show as haphazard in its setting as this one seems to be, this may not be much evidence to base a prediction on, but I did wonder about that, since those two words seemed really out of place.

Yeah...no. It's just a fantasy world that happeens to have some RPG mechanics to it, that's all. It's not that unusual.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Psycho_Despair wrote:
I really did not think Zac was gonna go through the trouble of watching JOJO since it wasn't licensed. I did not see this coming lol

Anyways, we all know now who's the biggest asshole in Anime......DIO!!!! BAKOOM!

I'll be catching up all afternoon today. I have something like 5 more shows to go (Little Busters was just posted).

Holy cow, a one-two punch from Zac and Bamboo on ONIAI. Marvelous! I love it! Also, totally agree with Zac's assessment of Btooom, only would add that the jerk couldn't be bothered to thank his mom for trying to help him get a job. Oh no, he's too good to work at a grocery store! fudge, I really, really hate hikikis with the passion of 1000 red-hot suns.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:29 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
Zac wrote:
Psycho_Despair wrote:
I really did not think Zac was gonna go through the trouble of watching JOJO since it wasn't licensed. I did not see this coming lol

Anyways, we all know now who's the biggest asshole in Anime......DIO!!!! BAKOOM!

I'll be catching up all afternoon today. I have something like 5 more shows to go (Little Busters was just posted).

Holy cow, a one-two punch from Zac and Bamboo on ONIAI. Marvelous! I love it! Also, totally agree with Zac's assessment of Btooom, only would add that the jerk couldn't be bothered to thank his mom for trying to help him get a job. Oh no, he's too good to work at a grocery store! fudge, I really, really hate hikikis with the passion of 1000 red-hot suns.
Normally I'd agree with this. But, I can unfortunately view it from his perspective. Sometimes in life, things just don't work out the way you want and when you finally get a plan that SEEMS to be working, obstacles still get in the way. It' stressful, and then sometimes the people around you start to try and help you. You refuse their help time and time again but they keep pestering you and pestering you until it drives you crazy and makes you yell or worse. For all we know, his mother could have been pestering him non-stop for days, weeks, even years. She also basically spat on his dreams with what she said, which is something I dont think anyone should do, at least not in that way. She could've said in a nicer way such as "in the mean time, come work at my friends place" or similar.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
dragon695 wrote:
Zac wrote:
Psycho_Despair wrote:

Normally I'd agree with this. But, I can unfortunately view it from his perspective. Sometimes in life, things just don't work out the way you want and when you finally get a plan that SEEMS to be working, obstacles still get in the way. It' stressful, and then sometimes the people around you start to try and help you. You refuse their help time and time again but they keep pestering you and pestering you until it drives you crazy and makes you yell or worse. For all we know, his mother could have been pestering him non-stop for days, weeks, even years. She also basically spat on his dreams with what she said, which is something I don't think anyone should do, at least not in that way. She could've said in a nicer way such as "in the mean time, come work at my friends place" or similar.

Wait what? He's been trying for two years. Meanwhile, he's loafing around at home doing nothing. The TV studios are, in a typical Japanese way, trying to tell him he's not going to get a job so buzz off (he's just too stupid or ignorant to get it). Damn straight he should [expletive] get a job at the grocery store! Stop being a bum and leeching off your mama!

Forgive me for being this way, but I've been there, and it just makes me furious when I hear someone refuse to do something *in the mean time* to support their family.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Just saw Little Busters! so far I think it is ok. It is more like Angel Beats! then the other Key titles, and I had the same reaction to the first episode in both. I am going to trust that I will like it more as the show goes on, but right know I just don't find it that funny (I haven't played the game so I am going in blind). I hope someone picks this up for simulcast if not then I will guess I will wait for the DVD/Blu-ray release to watch the rest.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:55 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
dragon695 wrote:
Zac wrote:
Psycho_Despair wrote:

Normally I'd agree with this. But, I can unfortunately view it from his perspective. Sometimes in life, things just don't work out the way you want and when you finally get a plan that SEEMS to be working, obstacles still get in the way. It' stressful, and then sometimes the people around you start to try and help you. You refuse their help time and time again but they keep pestering you and pestering you until it drives you crazy and makes you yell or worse. For all we know, his mother could have been pestering him non-stop for days, weeks, even years. She also basically spat on his dreams with what she said, which is something I don't think anyone should do, at least not in that way. She could've said in a nicer way such as "in the mean time, come work at my friends place" or similar.

Wait what? He's been trying for two years. Meanwhile, he's loafing around at home doing nothing. The TV studios are, in a typical Japanese way, trying to tell him he's not going to get a job so buzz off (he's just too stupid or ignorant to get it). Damn straight he should [expletive] get a job at the grocery store! Stop being a bum and leeching off your mama!

Forgive me for being this way, but I've been there, and it just makes me furious when I hear someone refuse to do something *in the mean time* to support their family.

I agree with that, he should help out more. Two years goes by pretty quick though, you can easily lose track of how long it's really been. I can understand why he got so mad because she probably pushed him to his limits. There's better ways of doing it than just spitting on his dreams.I think he's scum, but she isn't helping the situation.

Though, as good as he is at the game...in the real world he would probably be sponsored as a pro-gamer, which makes some nice money now days.I have a friend that CAN make $700+ a week just from gaming 6-7 hours a day, thanks to live streaming and sponsors.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:55 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
dragon695 wrote:
Zac wrote:
Psycho_Despair wrote:

Yes should support his family, and no she should not have spat at his dream like that.

that said I doubt that any of the flashback scenes even took place. since the whole time there was obviously something wrong with the mother in both scenes.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:58 pm Reply with quote
050795 wrote:
Just saw Little Busters! so far I think it is ok. It is more like Angel Beats! then the other Key titles, and I had the same reaction to the first episode in both. I am going to trust that I will like it more as the show goes on, but right know I just don't find it that funny (I haven't played the game so I am going in blind). I hope someone picks this up for simulcast if not then I will guess I will wait for the DVD/Blu-ray release to watch the rest.

LBs is a lot closer to Clannad/Kanon/Air than it is to Angel Beats. I always say judging things off of 1 episode is never the way to go. I would advise giving it at least a total of 3 episodes before deciding to wait a full year for the rest of the episodes. Not finding it funny, makes me wonder if you found any of the KEY animes funny. It's the same style of comedy, after all. Though, if you watched the other KEY titles you should know it's not even about the comedy, but the emotional stabbing they do to the viewers later on, that makes people like these anime. I hope you end up enjoying it, because it's regarded by many (not all of course) people as the best Visual Novel in existence because of it's stories. And it's 5 years old, so it's had a long time to be beaten.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 33 of 55