• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:48 pm Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
Why did I buy Our Home's Fox Deity? What collector's fervour possessed me?

If you have any taste what so ever, you won't be disappointed. I knew virtually nothing about the show when I bought it and it is now one of my favourite anime comedies.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I agree, Our Home's Fox Deity is highly recommended. Just the idea of a local kami running a convience store to support the shrine is a riot. The whole thing is great low key humor.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Those are all good reasons! I trust your opinions, and if it's as good as you say, Blood and Alan, I probably read a positive review or recommendations way back and was swayed by those --- as well as by the release!
Now I'm looking forward to watching it. How wise I was to purchase. I amaze myself.
Saiki_Thorn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Today in the mail I got Strike Witches 2. It has been a while since I preordered it but I am glad to have it. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
lem

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
ailblentyn wrote:
Why did I buy Our Home's Fox Deity? What collector's fervour possessed me?

If you have any taste what so ever, you won't be disappointed. I knew virtually nothing about the show when I bought it and it is now one of my favourite anime comedies.

My initial experience with it garnered the same response I had with the Fate/Zero walking n talkin' in a circle scene - I stopped watching it. Our Home's just didn't have me laughing or anything, it just left me flat. All I could think was hmm, 'How many times have I seen sealed Gods let loose?' But if you and Alan45 think that highly of it, I think I'll revisit it tonight as I have some time to do so.

I've picked up Zakuro since then, and of course I'm still waiting for Natsume and Ghastly. November/December is going to be one of anime overload what with all of the pre-orders finally arriving. Can hardly wait!
warden13

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:12 am Reply with quote
Items paid and shipped this week:

Amazon
Paradise Kiss, Part 1
Dance in the Vampire Bund Vol. 13
lem

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:45 am Reply with quote
last of the last (what, you don't believe me?), end of a long day shopping binge. Some people have their alcohol or whatever for their fix. I have some anime & manga. Very Happy

AnoHana: The Flower We Saw That Day DVD/Blu-ray Complete Series (S) - Doubled up on
Majikoi ~ Oh! Samurai Girls Blu-ray Complete Collection - just 'because? wth?
Oreimo DVD Complete Set - I missed the Premium one didn't I? oh well.
Persona -Trinity Soul- DVD Box Set 1 (S) - another I'll just see for myself
Persona -Trinity Soul- DVD Box Set 2 (S) ...it was the last one
Shakugan no Shana DVD/Blu-ray Season 1 - and yet another doubled

Alan45 wrote:

I agree, Our Home's Fox Deity is highly recommended. Just the idea of a local kami running a convience store to support the shrine is a riot. The whole thing is great low key humor.

definitely low key.
and Ko may be as cute as a button, but her seriousness just adds to the fun. I'm glad I got past the first episode. Very Happy
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:33 am Reply with quote
@ lem - I'm glad you gave the show another shot. I agree the first eppie was nothing super special (although it was enough to convince me to actually buy the title) but I think your appreciation of it grows quite quickly after that. Ko is adorable. The following are some examples of her dialogue: spoiler["I'll bring in the laundry even if it costs me my life."] Laughing Or when asked if their was anything she didn't like to eat:spoiler[ "Centipedes are not my favourite."]

I also thought that whoever did the subtitles did an excellent job of translation. That show is absolutely rife with Japanese-centric concepts yet the subtitles did a great job of conveying the ideas in English and of conveying humour.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:01 am Reply with quote
Preordered the entire set of DOG DAYS' BDs from Amazon JP. $440 but won't see the charge till February :p yay
lem

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-
the more I watch of this show, the more I like it. Certain things about it remind me of Bamboo Blade and Aria in the best of ways. spoiler[ Ko and a single can = lightweight fun Very Happy I like how they brought Sakura into the mix as well, and the Yokai that keep showing up are a hoot.]
Curse the real world & work for getting in the way of my completing it all in one shot, damn Evil or Very Mad

luffypirate85 wrote:
Preordered the entire set of DOG DAYS' BDs from Amazon JP. $440 but won't see the charge till February :p yay

Ami Koshimizu has a role in that one. hmm. seems this will require further investigation on my part... Idea Anime catgrin I fell in love with her as Holo, and I already ordered some of her newer work (new to me anyway) in Letter Bee, and Umineko.
GDFan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Why am I suddenly scrambling to buy Our Home's Fox Deity premium releases, when I've never before been interested in this series? I would like to thank the community for convincing my wallet to free itself of almost $100.Confused How did you manage to do this to us Question

This was my first purchase from NISA directly. Their website still lists the first volume as including their exclusive item which "fits into the art book as an additional page." Honestly, since TRSI no longer maintains a listing for vol. 1 PE, I'm just hoping to receive the premium version. The bonus item doesn't matter, except that I really want it, whatever it is.

lem wrote:
@Blood-
the more I watch of this show, the more I like it. Certain things about it remind me of Bamboo Blade and Aria in the best of ways.

Are you guys still talking about Our Home's Fox Deity? Because those two other shows mentioned happen to be two of my all time favorites. A cross between Bamboo Blade and Aria would almost be too much for me to handle.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Man, I'm so jazzed that some peeps are looking into Our Home's Fox Deity. I think it is a criminally overlooked show. It's got some wonderful humour mixed in with some real heart.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm equally a fan of Bamboo Blade and Aria. I think they are similar in the quiet pace and the low key humor. However the subject matter is different. In this case its Shinto mythos.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I picked up Our Home's Fox Deity last Xmas when it was offered at a higher-than-usual discount. I wanted to try something from NISA (with the decline of B&M stores there's no way to physically check out a title's packaging and online pics can be misleading). I watched the first 2 episodes, as I find that my percentages of getting a good show go way up versus watching just one, and it was definitely the second episode that sold me. Due to the expense, I also looked at the reviews and the comment threads for said reviews, not because I rely on them for decisions but just to see if they agreed with my perception of what the show was going to be and the consensus seemed to be in line with my impression and also indicated that the show maintained it's quality over the long haul. Of course, due to my huge backlog I have not watched it yet but I was favorably impressed by the packaging (though I haven't really perused the artbooks since they seem to be a bit spoileriffic).
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:31 am Reply with quote
Just a small purchase for me:

Girl Friends omnibus 1
Awkward Silence volume 1

I'm an equal opportunities pervert, what can I say? Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 958 of 1399