• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: JManga to Post Unprinted Volumes of Former Del Rey Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:01 am Reply with quote
The acquisition of these titles may push me to actually spend money at Jmanga. Before there were a handful of manga that I was mildly interested in available there, but not enough to make me want to part with cash. Now I may actually pay them money...
INS Division 6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:29 am Reply with quote
Suzuka..... please. Very Happy
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:46 pm Reply with quote
So, Kodansha couldn't "omnibus" these titles for those of us who don't own an iPad?
Well that sucks! Confused
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Dumnerd wrote:
So, Kodansha couldn't "omnibus" these titles for those of us who don't own an iPad?
Well that sucks! Confused

What does owning an iPad have to do with it? A desktop, laptop, or netbook PC will work with the JManga.com site, or a tablet with a good processor and a browser with Adobe Flash.
superdry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm...very tempted to use the site if I can continue reading School Rumble and Pastel legally (my only concern is that Pastel is still on-going last time I checked...). I've been buying the JP volumes and reading scans when Del Rey/Kodansha didn't continue those titles.

Good move JManga and Kodansha.
Nadare Xizos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that's great news for people who actually read digital books. I don't, and I really don't want to start anytime soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:31 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
What does owning an iPad have to do with it? A desktop, laptop, or netbook PC will work with the JManga.com site, or a tablet with a good processor and a browser with Adobe Flash.
Your right, it's a moot point.
It's just that the first thing that comes to my mind when I think "tablet" is the iPad.
Besides, I don't own a tablet/netbook/laptop of any kind and I like reading comics/manga when & where I want to.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote
You know, on top of not finish off the Del Rey manga (in print form) they’re also screwing over more of the fans. Kodansha took their titles from TokyoPop, some of their better selling titles, and they have no plans to release those titles they took from them. I emailed them asking:

Does Kodansha USA have any plans in re-printing the rest of Rave Master? I see that you have a large edition of the last 3 volumes, but not the rest and TokyoPop's volumes are long OOP, so the large edition doesn't do much people any good unless the rest of the series is printed. And what about GetBackers? From what I got, this was a better selling title for TokyoPop. And Samurai Deeper Kyo? In fact, you have any plans to re-print any of the Kodansha titles that you pulled from TokyoPop a long while back. Again, printing the last few volumes of a near finished series does no good when the rest of the series is OOP and in some cases, used volumes are going for $30.

And they answered with:

I'm sorry to report that we currently have no further plans for any of these series. There isn't enough demand in the market for them.

Seriously? They take these titles from TokyoPop with no plans to finish them because there isn’t “enough” demand for them. Why take the titles from TokyoPop in the bloody first place? That’s calls poor business skills. From what I got, those Kodansha titles were the better selling manga over in the states. But what do they do? They bring over Sailor Moon and other smaller name titles. Rave Master, the same man behind Fairy Tail…why the hell wouldn’t they want to put that back on the market? GetBackers had to do well if TP put out 20 so volumes and still would’ve kept doing it if the license wasn’t taken. This is what the fans should be pissed about.
PockyCrusader

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:31 am Reply with quote
Like a previous poster, I think that I may look into subscribing to JManga because of this acquisition and announcement. Digital isn't my preferred format, but I hope that if JManga records enough of a demand for these titles that someone will do a print-on-demand run of these titles sometime in the future so that we can get a dead-tree version of this stuff. It's not a perfect solution, but at least JManga is trying to make sure that the creators and original licensors are getting reimbursed for their work.

Sure, I understand the argument that there's the risk of losing the online content you paid for if the site goes under, but from what I've seen of the prices, you aren't paying nearly as much as you might for an e-book from Amazon or something like that, so the investment is a little smaller.

At least they're trying to meet the fans halfway on some of this stuff. That's more than you can say for a lot of other industries.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2