• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: PETA Releases Pokémon Parody Game

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I can say this; I'm a big animal rights advocate and there are few things I despise more than senseless animal cruelty. In the end though PETA are just way too extreme to even be taken seriously anymore. It's a good idea that has practically become a parody of itself and there are far better groups to follow or be a part of if people were truly interested in stopping animal cruelty.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Oh PETA your just embarrassing your selfs now
Mikeski

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Knowing that this is what PETA does with their money, why do people smart enough to know which end of a pen signs a check still give them any?

Couldn't they donate to a local animal shelter instead?
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Insane, huh? Well, to me their publicity stunts have mostly made me laugh, and I haven't heard of them doing anything particularly dangerous/harmful/etc., though I'm interested to know if you've any stories (I'm actually kind of curious what's given them such a bad rap all these years, besides their self-righteous attitude and sensational publicity stunts I mean).

I'll let Penn and Teller tell you. (REALLY NSFW)
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I saw this on crunchyroll's AMP forum and laughed, but now that I know they acctually made a game its even more funny.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Well, having understood how PETA has degenerated into ideological chaos over the years, I can't say I'm surprised that they would even go so far as to bashing a popular [fictional] rock-paper-scissors TV series/anime show that displays the powerful bond between people and [fictional] animals. I just don't see PETA's Pokemon parody title producing even moderate sales for them anytime soon.
lostrune

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:57 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Kikaioh wrote:
Still, I really think it's just a tongue-in-cheek joke, and people are getting a little too sensitive over something that seems purposefully ridiculously stupid.

Are you at all familiar with just how utterly insane PETA is? I think if you were you wouldn't be saying this.

http://www.cosmeticsdesign.com/Regulation-Safety/PETA-donates-1million-to-help-find-animal-testing-alternatives

Yes, very insane that they donate millions to help animals every year, from animal testing alternatives to shelters and pounds. Let's all get mad that they poked fun at a video game instead, that's definitely much more rational Laughing Armchair activists for the future.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I think this thread has been sufficiently derailed. Moving on.....
mistress_kisara

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:03 pm Reply with quote
PETA is a joke they shouldn't be taken seriously anymore..I remember they also don't like Cooking Mama because she cooks meat (Are you f****** kidding me!?)
Nandosagi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
So is Team Plasma really as extreme as what PETA is doing in series canon because I haven't caught up with it in a long while.

This game proves they've done zero research, especially if it actually directly references Team Plasma.

spoiler[Team Plasma's "liberation" is largely limited to basic Pokémon theft like all other villain teams do, and speeches given by Ghetsis, a high-ranking member underneath the rule of their "king" N, which drive people to release their Pokémon. N's ultimate goal is to befriend a legendary Pokémon and become the new Champion, then use his influence to convince the entire region to release their Pokémon.

What PETA doesn't know is that everything I just told you is revealed to be a lie in the climax of the first games. After your final battle with N, Ghetsis walks in and has a complete breakdown, admitting that he built Team Plasma and filled their heads with lies about having a noble cause to disguise his real goal - to be the only person left in Unova with any Pokémon, and thus the region's ruler. Words cannot describe how unbelievably vile this man is - he is outright stated to have abused N - his adopted son - since infancy to program him exactly how he needed; he also kidnapped two orphan girls and turned them into Stockholm Syndrome 'sisters' for N, had a scientist forcibly resurrect an extinct Pokémon and turn it into a cyborg abomination, and in the new games, he tortures a legendary Pokémon of his own and actually attempts to murder the player.

The kicker is that PETA seems to romanticize Team Plasma, while in B2W2 they are outright terrorists who openly abuse Pokémon and aim to carry out mass murder to help Ghetsis realize his dreams.]
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Played it and found the dialogue amusing. Although they got some stuff wrong, you can tell they were having fun with it and have some knowledge of Pokemon Black/White. Graphics were alright, they put some effort into it. Still, releasing it on release of Black and White 2, its all for publicity and one of their "treasures" in the game is sure to shock children and those woozy to animal cruelty for their cause.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
http://www.cosmeticsdesign.com/Regulation-Safety/PETA-donates-1million-to-help-find-animal-testing-alternatives

Yes, very insane that they donate millions to help animals every year, from animal testing alternatives to shelters and pounds. Let's all get mad that they poked fun at a video game instead, that's definitely much more rational Laughing Armchair activists for the future.

Yes. I'm clearly just mad that they made fun of pokemon. It has nothing to do with them having killed nearly 20,000 animals. Or the fact that roughly 90% of the animals they "rescue" end up euthanized (that's not just hopeless cases either. That includes perfectly fine, totally adoptable animals as well). Nothing to do with their numerous ties and contributions to violent domestic terrorist groups. Nothing to do with their despicable shock tactics, and deliberate attempts to target children without their parents consent. Nothing to do with their absurd, dogmatic goal of “total animal liberation" which includes not only the complete abolishment of all animal products, the abolishment of all animal testing no matter the animal and no matter the purpose (Cancer, AIDS, it doesn't matter), and even the abolishment of all pet ownership. (Yes. PETA is opposed to the basic idea that a person can own a pet, no matter how well taken care of that pet may be).

So don't you dare talk to me about "activism" you [insults removed]. You want to be an animal activist? Great. Go support the SPCA or the WWF. But for the love of god, don't support PETA. They. Are. [expletive]. Insane.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the abolishment of all animal testing no matter the animal and no matter the purpose (Cancer, AIDS, it doesn't matter)

the animal matters? the purpose matters? I doubt in either situation any of them asked to be tested on or gave consent to the horrors that happen to them. just because it benefits humans that's justification to use other creatures as fodder to be stepped on?
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Getting sued by The Pokemon Company International in 3! 2! 1! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

and LOL I doubt anyone here who plays the games treats their Pokemon as "unfeeling objects". I for one take care to make sure mine are as happy as possible.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Getting sued by The Pokemon Company International in 3! 2! 1! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

and LOL I doubt anyone here who plays the games treats their Pokemon as "unfeeling objects". I for one take care to make sure mine are as happy as possible.

I don't see why they wouldn't sue, Nintendo pressures doujinshi artists if they stray too close to bestiality (Faithful Tepig), and PETA is of course far worse than that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10