• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ufotable Makes Magical Girl Anime Film Majocco Classical

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I know the kind of person you are. Your post quite confused me, actually. It seemed highly unbefitting of you. It just sounded like you were criticizing any kind of intellectual thought on the show, sorry, man.

(I actually do like those kinds of conversations, sometimes)
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I don't have a problem with intellectual discussion. However, if the intellectual discussion is about classifying genre, it's not my thing. I just care about whether a story is well-told, period. I care more about discussing what message a story said, if it had one, and how the story would express it through characters and their actions or motivations than fixate on figuring out what genre or sub-genre or demographic something is.

I don't have a problem with people having that conversation at all, but to me depending on how much that genre-specifying conversation takes place whenever talking about a show, it can create a barrier for anyone that may be unfamilar with that genre or wasn't a fan of it in the first place. Some people don't believe this, but it really is possible to have someone be surprised by liking the story of a show based on a genre they not a fan of. But to me, figuring out the genre and how a show that had a clear story to tell approached that genre to the point where you recommend a show to someone for those reasons or because it deconstructs that genre doesn't always help get someone to watching that show. It certainly didn't help me with Madoka Magica and even though I eventually watched it and liked the story, I at one point wondered if you could even really recommend this to a non-anime fan. I mean I suppose you could try, but what are the chances that non-anime fan will like Madoka Magica for the same reasons hardcore anime fans did? That was what I meant by this movie, Majocco Classical fbeing seemingly refreshing (though it unintentionally spawned an argument about various magical girl anime aimed at kids or little girls that I heard for the upmteenth time already).

But like I said, the kind of discussions I like to have are ones about the themes and messages behind a story and it's characters. Discussing about genres classifying them honestly have become tiresome for me. I use to pay more mind in general with those discussions, but now I'm 'meh' about them only because I already got what I needed to get about them.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
It certainly didn't help me with Madoka Magica and even though I eventually watched it and liked the story, I at one point wondered if you could even really recommend this to a non-anime fan. I mean I suppose you could try, but what are the chances that non-anime fan will like Madoka Magica for the same reasons hardcore anime fans did? That was what I meant by this movie, Majocco Classical fbeing seemingly refreshing (though it unintentionally spawned an argument about various magical girl anime aimed at kids or little girls that I heard for the upmteenth time already).

Why should we care what non anime fans think of anime. When anime starts prioitizing dumbing anime down for the non fans over the actual fans is when I jump ship.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:35 am Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
Why should we care what non anime fans think of anime.

Dude, don't read too much in what I said. I didn't say you or any other anime fans was outright obligated to care about that (not that I honestly expected you'd care anyway). I only was explaining and defending my reason for why talks about genres are of no interest to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2