• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Media Blasters Anime Solicitations

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
WTK wrote:
Vata Raven wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:
Jubei-chan? I'm 95% sure that that was a Bandai title, the complete collection I had many years back was an Anime Legends set. Is this something they're had for a while or the first Bandai license rescue suddenly showing up?

That's because that season was a Bandai title. They also licensed the 2nd season that Geneon.

Media Blasters very well could release the 2nd season. However they have yet to publicly confirm that (that's unless you have some sort of proof stating otherwise).

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-07-27/media-blasters-to-release-jubei-chan-box-set-in-2012 Then what the hell do you call that? Yeah, ANN put it up, I wasn't crazy.

I would suggest that you re-read that article.
Quote:
[...]

The distributor did not specify whether this release will include both the original Jubei-chan - Secret of the Lovely Eyepatch anime and its Jubei-Chan 2: The Counter Attack of Siberia Yagyu sequel....
WTK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
So Media Blasters did snag up the OVAs for Fushigi Yugi?

Sucks that the second half to the series has been delayed for release. But it might be something for me to look forward to come next year if I can get back on my feet money-wise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WTK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:

They have hinted that they intend to release it. But that doesn't mean too much (Queen's Blade: Rebellion and Squid Girl Season 2). And with the updated listing description (if 100% correct), it doesn't include Eikoden.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
WTK wrote:
Ggultra2764 wrote:

They have hinted that they intend to release it. But that doesn't mean too much (Queen's Blade: Rebellion and Squid Girl Season 2). And with the updated listing description (if 100% correct), it doesn't include Eikoden.

As well as their complete canning of future Bakuman releases, which I forgot all about. I guess I'll have to be prepared to shell out money for the original Pioneer releases then if Media Blasters decides to outright cancel the releases of the second half and OVAs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
As well as their complete canning of future Bakuman releases, which I forgot all about. I guess I'll have to be prepared to shell out money for the original Pioneer releases then if Media Blasters decides to outright cancel the releases of the second half and OVAs.

No, they're putting them out, the CEO for Media Blasters has said they're putting them out, even if the delays keep happening. But since it's already dubbed, the license was cheap, and there was a demand for it...they would be lossing money for not putitng out the rest.

And what bloody good does it do to buy an OOP set? Nothing, it's not helping the US anime market, it's just helping the SOB that's selling the old set (mostly replacing it with the new Media Blaster sets to get extra shelf space)
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:

And what bloody good does it do to buy an OOP set? Nothing, it's not helping the US anime market, it's just helping the SOB that's selling the old set (mostly replacing it with the new Media Blaster sets to get extra shelf space)

And what does it matter to you what he/she intends to buy? Don't be such a d*ck.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
A lot of the nice looking artboxes, thinpacks, and the like are OOP. And it's not like those sets will ever be re-released. For collectors, they may be more willing to pay extra for that OOP set compared to the re-released set.

If I could, I'd spend the money in a heartbeat to get the artbox and singles sets for all of the CLAMP series, just because I love the CLAMP series that much. I'm just "settling" on the re-released sets instead because it's just too expensive for me right now.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:

Some people actually want the nicer looking sets instead of a cheap re-release. What is wrong with that and why does it matter to you? It is their money, not yours. Confused

Also, the prices drop when a cheaper set is out. Most of the Geneon stuff that went OOP, but then got re-released by Funimation, have gone down in price. I got things like the old Trigun boxset for $35 after Funimation released their boxset. Hard to compete with a cheaper set, especially when it includes a Blu-ray copy (Shakugan no Shana for example).
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:

If it's available, I will buy it. If it isn't and there was a past release, then I'll snag that instead. Media Blasters hasn't exactly been in the best of shape this year financially between employee layoffs from earlier in the year, a good number of delays with title releases and limited new acquisitions compared to other companies like Funimation and Sentai. Not to be pessimistic, but it wouldn't surprise me if Media Blasters goes belly up sometime next year if they continue to behave as they are now.
WTK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Also, the prices drop when a cheaper set is out. Most of the Geneon stuff that went OOP, but then got re-released by Funimation, have gone down in price. Hard to compete with a cheaper set that also includes a Blu-ray copy (Shakugan no Shana for example).

IMO, Shakugan no Shana S1 is actually not the best example. FUNimation did not include the hot springs OVA (this was included with the Geneon DVD boxsets that FUNimation distributed). The opinion on the Blu-ray portion varies depending on who you talk to (in particular to the upscale video quality).
Rukiia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
WTK wrote:
Rukiia wrote:
Also, the prices drop when a cheaper set is out. Most of the Geneon stuff that went OOP, but then got re-released by Funimation, have gone down in price. Hard to compete with a cheaper set that also includes a Blu-ray copy (Shakugan no Shana for example).

IMO, Shakugan no Shana S1 is actually not the best example. FUNimation did not include the hot springs OVA (this was included with the Geneon DVD boxsets that FUNimation distributed). The opinion on the Blu-ray portion varies depending on who you talk to (in particular to the upscale video quality).

Well, IMO, that episode was pretty lame. I gave up my old Geneon boxset in favor of the re-release as I didn't mind not having the OVA. And it is still fact that the Geneon boxsets have gone down in price. I have seen them being sold for under $50 instead over $100. This one here is less then $50. So, again, re-releases make old releases cheaper which was the point I was trying to make. If people really want the set with the hot springs OVA included they no longer have to spend an arm and a leg for it.

Edit: Also looked on Amazon and they have copies for even cheaper.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:24 pm Reply with quote
But Funimation is also releasing the OVAs in the OVA collection...they got all of Shana. My issue on buying OOP sets is the fact...it doesn't help the poor North America anime market.

Just wish someone would save Kyo Kara Maoh, Shonen Onmyouji, and Story of Saiunkoku (I see media blaster at least looking into this 1)
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:31 am Reply with quote
Yes, that is true. It doesn't support the industry. But again, for the sake of my collection, I still rather have the OOP artbox and singles verses the recent re-release just because it's more aesthetically pleasing to me. If the artboxes and singles were re-released (i.e. if Funimation re-released Geneon's original artbox and singles for Chobits), I'd go for those in a heartbeat. Anime hyper
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:01 am Reply with quote
It's not my, or any fans', job to save or support the industry. Do some feel like they should? Sure, and that's fine, but no one is obligated to make decisions because of the poor widdle industry. It's the industries job to look out for the industry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 18