• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st Madoka Magica Film Opens at #7 With Over US$1 Million

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Myaow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:54 am Reply with quote
Wait, so the Happy Science movie did better than Madoka?! Woa.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:23 am Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:

Religious (er, cultish?) movies always do well because they have a built in mandatory attendance audience.

I wouldn't be surprised if they distributed free tickets to groups as well.

Madoka might be a god but I'm afraid she's worshiped by a lot fewer people than Happy Science (with about 11 million members worldwide vs. madoka's bluray sales of... ~50,000)
dreznovk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:37 am Reply with quote
Is debut at #7 with only 43 screens compare to the other movie with more than hundred screens really that bad ? I have seen similar article at crunchyroll website and they're writing as if it's some really bad new.

Anyway, first post here Smile
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:55 pm Reply with quote
dreznovk wrote:
Is debut at #7 with only 43 screens compare to the other movie with more than hundred screens really that bad ? I have seen similar article at crunchyroll website and they're writing as if it's some really bad new.

Other anime movies have made more with less screenings. (Haruhi, K-ON, etc) Madoka isn't as big as those anime properties, though.

Though not really 'bad' I guess considering the low numbers movies in Japan make. It's not much of a 'movie culture' like the US is
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Not bad a recap cash grab.

Also, Hunger Games was only on its second weekend. It opened 9/28 and has bombed horribly at the box office in Japan making just over 1.5 million on a whopping 565 screens.

Source
Lavnovice2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Not bad a recap cash grab.

Also, Hunger Games was only on its second weekend. It opened 9/28 and has bombed horribly at the box office in Japan making just over 1.5 million on a whopping 565 screens.

[url=/intl/japan/?yr=2012&wk=39&p=.htm]Source[/url]

Maybe they were upset over it's similar to the Japanese movie called "Battle Royal"?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:

Box office of The Mystical Laws in Taipei (currency unit: NT$1 = US$ 0.0341). Remind me to compare it with Madoka's box office next week (premiere in Taiwan on Oct. 20-21 ONLY).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:53 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
dreznovk wrote:

Other anime movies have made more with less screenings. (Haruhi, K-ON, etc) Madoka isn't as big as those anime properties, though.

Though not really 'bad' I guess considering the low numbers movies in Japan make. It's not much of a 'movie culture' like the US is

What are you talking about? Madoka's huge in Japan. It broke the single sales Blu-Ray record for television anime on it's first volume. Source

I think this has more to do with the fact that the two movies being released this weekend and next are recaps. The third movie will probably pull much bigger numbers.
zeopower6

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote
It's not in too many screens which may be why earnings are rather low... I mean 43? Rolling Eyes

Compare to the #2 debut of Wolf Children/Ame to Yuki and this doesn't look so bad. (US$4,592,490 on 381 screens.)

We should probably expect the third movie to open at #1. *__*

Last edited by zeopower6 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Box Office Mojo has last weekend's box office stats now up.

PMMM movie did ridiculously well in terms of average per screen value. Heck, it even did better than the Tiger & Bunny movie's opening week numbers despite T&B being on 70 screens to PMMM's 43.

These are not numbers at all that anybody should think are bad. Heck, they're a lot better than I thought they would be. Just shows how loyal the PMMM fanbase is.
zeopower6

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:16 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Some comparisons to previous anime movies -
Nanoha the MOVIE 1st - US$681,386 with 19 screens
Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works - US$420,400 with 12 screens
Yu-Gi-Oh! Super Fusion - US$1,152,259 with 124 screens
K-ON! the Movie - US$4,070,919 with 137 screens
EVA 2.0 - US$5,302,760 on 120 screens

Madoka Magica: Beginnings - US$1,776,682+ on 43 screens

Pretty good imo for just a repackaged version of the show. Wonder if Eternal will do slightly better since it'll probably be changed to lead into the third film?

Last edited by zeopower6 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:09 am; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Source

Typical Japan got it really late. People, who want to see it and keep up with other countries, already saw it in other ways.
Zic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
zeopower6 wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

Pretty good imo for just a repackaged version of the show. Wonder if Eternal will do slightly better since it'll probably be changed to lead into the third film?

Where exactly did you get the actual money earned, I can't find it at all.
zeopower6

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Zic wrote:
zeopower6 wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

Where exactly did you get the actual money earned, I can't find it at all.

I used what was listed at boxofficemojo.

http://boxofficemojo.com/intl/japan/?yr=2012&wk=40&p=.htm

Interesting to note that the per-screen average for Madoka is the highest of 2012. Cool
bakabakadeshi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:26 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
dreznovk wrote:

Are you serious now? I think it's really unfair to compare Madoka to those films given that PMMM only had 43 vs 100+ of those you mentioned. For a movie that's only about recap and less screenings, Madoka did a job well done here Cool In fact, it surpassed my expectation.

Movie 3 should get over a hundred screens though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2