• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lota

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:55 am Reply with quote
This season has been great so far Smile I'm really thankful that we got even 3 shoujo's. I wonder why nobody is reviewing Magi, the first episode came out ages (...ok, 3 days) ago. It's a great show, btw, I recommend it to everyone Very Happy
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:17 am Reply with quote
Lota wrote:
I wonder why nobody is reviewing Magi, the first episode came out ages (...ok, 3 days) ago. It's a great show, btw, I recommend it to everyone Very Happy

It's not legally streaming yet, afaik.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:20 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
The most sexist anime ever is still Ranma 1/2, and I blame it for all that follows.

And Ranma 1/2 was created by a woman. Rolling Eyes
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:27 am Reply with quote
phoenixalia wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
The most sexist anime ever is still Ranma 1/2, and I blame it for all that follows.

That doesn't necessarily make it not sexist.

(not that I agree with his assertion, mind you)
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:36 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
phoenixalia wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

That doesn't necessarily make it not sexist.

(not that I agree with his assertion, mind you)

I didn't say it wasn't sexist. I just wanted to point that out since I didn't believe that show was made by a woman first. Anime hyper Much less the woman who made INuYasha.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:46 am Reply with quote
2nd episode of Chousoku Henkei Gyrozetter was released and we get our second pilot, Rinne, introduced. So far the series is really enjoyable. I love how the teacher for the Gyrozetter Project uses her sex appeal to recruit the main character, she's a really funny character with her interaction with the cast and trying to distract those reporters who were trying to investigate the Gyrozetter battle. Guess she's taking lessons from Misato on service service. Speaking of which, I love how Rinne incorporates her love of ice skating into her fighting style... and that drill punch she gave Kakeru. How elegant.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:24 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
getchman wrote:
why not start with Katawa Shoujo? its free and easily accessible, and could be a good starting point

Probably because it's not a 'real' VN, just a fan created one.

It's not really comparable to School Days, Fate/Stay or Little Busters.

Katawa Shoujo is fine a fine visual novel, it meets all the requirements of one even if it is fan made.

If you really were bothered by it that much How about reviewing higurashi (which manga gamer released all the main novels of) or umineko/when the seagulls cry (the author approves of the translation and even named a group of characters after their group). He even gave them early access to the demo so it could be released the same day in english as in japanese. you can even buy (Download) umineko on their site from the author.

Also I am confused, why is it illegal to buy the game and import/download it and then install an english translation... I mean I own the game, why can't I play it in a different language if I want to.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:52 am Reply with quote
Just got Pet Girl and found it pretty damn hilarious. It has the best line of the season so far. When MC asks his teacher if she has any respect for her "sacred vocation" and she answers, spoiler["Respect? I left that behind in my old man's testicles."] Laughing Everyone's reaction to that was hilarious, too.

I confess I didn't have high expectations of this title; there is a much cheesier, boring and unfunny way to execute the show's dopey premise, but in the first eppie at least, that was avoided.
icetea00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:22 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
That moesucks review is hilarious, but is Sakurasou no Pet THAT damn bad? Like...I have trouble believing that a show that patently offensive could exist. I have trouble believing that Mashiro is THAT infantile.

I mean, jesus, that blog wasn't kidding, I'm amazed she doesn't actually wear diapers, though if she did I'd probably suffer through just one episode solely because of that >_>

Dammit, author! You missed a chance to make me watch your god-awful show! Wait, maybe that's a good thing...

I don't think it's worse than the other ecchi+harem shows this season. In fact, I think it may even be better. Some people just rate the continuation of an older show significantly higher while calling this medicore (seriously, are they really that different?) just because the later was one of the first ecchi shows they watched and jerked off to. Yeah, maybe the more stupid an ecchi show is, the more satisfied they get while Pet Kanojo is not stupid enough to titilate them. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by icetea00 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:30 am; edited 3 times in total
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:25 am Reply with quote
There's one minor thing that annoyed me about a couple of the previews for Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo:

Carl Kimlinger wrote:
If ever there was a title designed to strike fear, or at least serious trepidation, into the hearts of well-adjusted anime fans, it's this one. It's a title you could easily imagine appended to some foul taste-challenged sub-hentai concoction.

Theron Martin wrote:
The title alone will probably be a turn-off for some, ...

Anime fans usually know little if any Japanese, and for most of them, it would not be obvious why the title would be a warning sign or turn-off. It would be nice for a previewer to translate the title if he/she is going to comment on it.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:32 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
getchman wrote:
why not start with Katawa Shoujo? its free and easily accessible, and could be a good starting point

Katawa Shoujo is fine a fine visual novel, it meets all the requirements of one even if it is fan made.

I'm confused to the term 'fan made'. I mean, they created the whole original story based by a single page of illustration by raita. 'Doujin' or 'indie' is a better term, I think.
If you see fanfiction or doujin about some copyrighted anime or manga, it's 'fanmade'.
If it's original, self-published works, it's 'indie' or 'doujin'.

Well, even though Katawa Shoujo is a real visual novel, I must say that the story isn't exactly my favorite. Unlike the titles TitanXL wrote, Katawa Shoujo was not made for any financial profit. Of course, the budget of making the game is low compared to VNs published by TypeMoon or Key. So that's why, the quality were pretty so-so IMHO. Unlike so many people, I think Katawa Shoujo is relatively average. I'll give it 7/10.
4nBlue

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:46 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
For the record, I would probably be willing to do VN reviews if I could get legal, translated versions and didn't have to pay out of my own pocket for them. I have actually done one before for this site, after all, and played (read?) a few others. The problem with doing VN reviews in general, though, is that licensed releases are fairly rare and generally don't involve VNs that people would hyped up to read about. You wouldn't get reviews on any of the hot big-name titles, for instance, because there are no legal sources for them, and ANN doesn't do reviews on non-legal content beyond one-shot Preview Guide entries.

That depends on what you count as a big name titles. Koihime Musou and Da Capo have both dominated the sales rankings when they were released in Japan and both have several seasons of anime, and they are still available in English from MangaGamer. Then there's ef - the first tale, Shuffle, Suika and Otoboku which I remember being quite big hits when they were released and also have had anime adaptions. Higurashi was at one point the best selling doujinshi game and it's several manga adaptions still show up on New York Times manga best seller list, and it's currently the only way to legally get the whole story of Higurashi in English.

And on the JAST USA side we have Aselia the Eternal that's still being re-re-re-released in Japan almost a decade after its initial release. Aselia has also RPG portions for those who want something between all the text. JAST is also collaborating with Nitro Plus to release their games in English, currently only Deus Machina Demonbane has been released, but other games like Saya no Uta (written by Gen Urobuchi) are on their way. The infamous School Days was also released recently. Another recent game is My Girlfriend is the President that become famous before its release thanks to its crazy promotion video. For those who would like to check out older works of Tanaka Romeo (Jinrui wa Suitaishimashita's writer), there is Kana - Little Sister and Yume Miru Kusuri.

Don't know if even half of those are good, because I haven't had a chance to play them, but all of them are notable in their own ways.

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Also I am confused, why is it illegal to buy the game and import/download it and then install an english translation... I mean I own the game, why can't I play it in a different language if I want to.

- Modifying the game without permission.
- Distributing parts of the game without permission.
- Stealing the sales of a possible future official release.
Not something that fans should be feel bad about, but still something that professionals might want to avoid

TitanXL wrote:
getchman wrote:

Are Tsukihime and Higurashi also not 'real' visual novels?

Some short first episode impression

Jormungand PO: Nice to see the plot moving. The scenes with Hex tried way too hard to show her as dangerous as femme fatale and just ended up looking silly. 4/5

Pet girl: Kind of fun, but the main girl being completely passive snorefest really hurts the overall impression. The voice actor girl was much more interesting even if she is interested in the MC just because he is a nice guy. 2.5/5

Girls und Panzer: The opening scene with the rotating turret POV of tanks driving down the valley, Senshadou educational video and the zoom-out to reveal the setting (spoiler[ the city they live in is located on giant aircraft carrier's deck]) were highly entertaining. The rest was Saki with tanks. 2/5

Ixion Saga DT: I was planning to not watch this because the colour palette is terrifying, but ended up giving this a try because of the surprisingly high scores. Surprisingly good. I have a feeling that ED is ED in more ways than just his name after spoiler[receiving dragon boot to the nuts]. 4/5

Say, "I Love You": Best first episode of this seasons shoujo shows. 3.5/5
Key

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:38 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Whatever it's quality, it made Bamboo lacerate into it in a way I've never seen her do before. She's never been this offended at a show before. Not even the schlockiest of fanservice garnered this much anger from her.

Oh, she's gone off like that on shows before. She just doesn't commonly do it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:43 am Reply with quote
If she has, I haven't seen her like that before, but I'll take hour word for it.

But even shows she hates generally didn't get that bad of a censure from her. Usually she'd just be exasperated and bemoaned (her OniAi preview is a good example of this), not completely aghast like she was with Sakurasou.

It was like she was channelling Zac for a few paragraphs there.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:26 am Reply with quote
4nBlue wrote:
Key wrote:
For the record, I would probably be willing to do VN reviews if I could get legal, translated versions and didn't have to pay out of my own pocket for them. I have actually done one before for this site, after all, and played (read?) a few others. The problem with doing VN reviews in general, though, is that licensed releases are fairly rare and generally don't involve VNs that people would hyped up to read about. You wouldn't get reviews on any of the hot big-name titles, for instance, because there are no legal sources for them, and ANN doesn't do reviews on non-legal content beyond one-shot Preview Guide entries.

That depends on what you count as a big name titles. Koihime Musou and Da Capo have both dominated the sales rankings when they were released in Japan and both have several seasons of anime, and they are still available in English from MangaGamer. Then there's ef - the first tale, Shuffle, Suika and Otoboku which I remember being quite big hits when they were released and also have had anime adaptions. Higurashi was at one point the best selling doujinshi game and it's several manga adaptions still show up on New York Times manga best seller list, and it's currently the only way to legally get the whole story of Higurashi in English.

And on the JAST USA side we have Aselia the Eternal that's still being re-re-re-released in Japan almost a decade after its initial release. Aselia has also RPG portions for those who want something between all the text. JAST is also collaborating with Nitro Plus to release their games in English, currently only Deus Machina Demonbane has been released, but other games like Saya no Uta (written by Gen Urobuchi) are on their way. The infamous School Days was also released recently. Another recent game is My Girlfriend is the President that become famous before its release thanks to its crazy promotion video. For those who would like to check out older works of Tanaka Romeo (Jinrui wa Suitaishimashita's writer), there is Kana - Little Sister and Yume Miru Kusuri.

Don't know if even half of those are good, because I haven't had a chance to play them, but all of them are notable in their own ways.

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

- Modifying the game without permission.
- Distributing parts of the game without permission.
- Stealing the sales of a possible future official release.
Not something that fans should be feel bad about, but still something that professionals might want to avoid

TitanXL wrote:
getchman wrote:

Are Tsukihime and Higurashi also not 'real' visual novels?

Some short first episode impression

Jormungand PO: Nice to see the plot moving. The scenes with Hex tried way too hard to show her as dangerous as femme fatale and just ended up looking silly. 4/5

Pet girl: Kind of fun, but the main girl being completely passive snorefest really hurts the overall impression. The voice actor girl was much more interesting even if she is interested in the MC just because he is a nice guy. 2.5/5

Girls und Panzer: The opening scene with the rotating turret POV of tanks driving down the valley, Senshadou educational video and the zoom-out to reveal the setting (spoiler[ the city they live in is located on giant aircraft carrier's deck]) were highly entertaining. The rest was Saki with tanks. 2/5

Ixion Saga DT: I was planning to not watch this because the colour palette is terrifying, but ended up giving this a try because of the surprisingly high scores. Surprisingly good. I have a feeling that ED is ED in more ways than just his name after spoiler[receiving dragon boot to the nuts]. 4/5

Say, "I Love You": Best first episode of this seasons shoujo shows. 3.5/5

Should I be pointing out the fact that most vn's now are labeled "japan only" so it's no loss of profit or sales to their market and patches fall under fair use clauses in america, "as long as you don't make any profit". I've imported quite a few key/visual arts titles and they have that label "japan sales only". It's a huge grey area right now and again... I'm sorry for going off topic...again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 43 of 55