• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shout! Factory to Release Gaiking Anime on DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this means that they plan to release the Fist Of The North Star & Captain Harlock compilation dubs as well? I know Discotek still has the TV series of both but it could be a separate license situation similar to the ICE OVA & movie versions from Sentai & Seminal Films.
Hoofbites

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what's up with so many older shows getting snapped up lately, but I like it.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote
"Abridged version", what does this mean? Please tell me if they're releasing the old Gaiking anime uncut and subbed on DVD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of annoying that Toei & S!F aren't confirming what exactly this release is entailing. The idea of it being an "abridged" version of Gaiking makes it sound like it's the WWP-produced movies from 2009, but the idea of releasing three movies across 2 DVDs is a little awkward.

Regardless, I might end up buying this, as I have been interested in seeing the original Gaiking.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Pass on any releases by Shout! Factory because they don't include subs (with the exception of power rangers and japanese transformers). I especially want subs on Sonic titles and any transformers tv shows (Beast Wars...*hint hint*).

Just so ya know, I'm d.e.a.f. Smile
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
mdo7, Maybe this is the old dubbed Force Five episodes. Gaiking, Grandizer, Starvengers, Danguard Ace, and Starzinger were compilations of 4-5 episodes of each series. Maybe this is a new dub.
Either way, this is just Awesome news. I still have my videotapes of the aforementioned series minus Starzinger, which I didn't enjoy. Having any Gaiking 76, is far better then none. Miracle Drill GO!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote
It's good to see more classic shows are being released.

Still waiting for LoGH, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:39 pm Reply with quote
mdo7, According to dvdempire.com Gaiking episodes are the 3 Compilation movies originally mentioned as being produced by William Winkler Productions. WW originally worked with Jim Terry as a voice actor on Force Five.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:42 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It's good to see more classic shows are being released.

Still waiting for LoGH, though.

Isn't there some sort of long string of legal issues with that one in terms of music or perhaps I'm maybe mistaking that for something else?

There was a very brief dub that I'm aware but I don't think it was ever actually released. Link
I'd buy them up in a flash, despite owning one or two copies of the actual series.

But on the subject of this;
Any relation to this article from a good while back?

Or perhaps they're going to edited versions of the actual show in cooperation with Toei?

Last edited by Lynx Amali on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm so happy the original series is coming out again, perhaps in its purest form. I loved Force Five / Gaiking when i was growing up. I've gotten to see the movies they came out with. Some of the movies weren't so great, but the team up missions with Grandizer, Getter Robo G and Magaziner Z weren't too bad. Hopefully we'll learn more soon if this a dub or a remixing. I don't believe all the Gaiking episodes were released in the Force Five form, so maybe we'll get uncensored version this time.
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:34 am Reply with quote
Lynx Amali, I think this is the project originally mentioned over 3 years ago as it is a William Winkler production. It is listed as 3 compilation films.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:44 pm Reply with quote
snake-eyes wrote:
mdo7, Maybe this is the old dubbed Force Five episodes. Gaiking, Grandizer, Starvengers, Danguard Ace, and Starzinger were compilations of 4-5 episodes of each series. Maybe this is a new dub.
Either way, this is just Awesome news. I still have my videotapes of the aforementioned series minus Starzinger, which I didn't enjoy. Having any Gaiking 76, is far better then none. Miracle Drill GO!

snake-eyes wrote:
mdo7, According to dvdempire.com Gaiking episodes are the 3 Compilation movies originally mentioned as being produced by William Winkler Productions. WW originally worked with Jim Terry as a voice actor on Force Five.

snake-eyes wrote:
Lynx Amali, I think this is the project originally mentioned over 3 years ago as it is a William Winkler production. It is listed as 3 compilation films.

The information from Shout Factory is vague and lack of accurate information, remember, this is the same company that brought us the Japanese Transformer series in US for the first time. So wait until Shout Factory give more information about Gaiking's release. I hope it's the uncut subbed release of that old show. Anyway, at least old school anime is getting a revival in US. First Rose of Versailles, then Lupin the 3rd first season, After that Cutey Honey and Mazinger Z, and now this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
The information from Shout Factory is vague and lack of accurate information, remember, this is the same company that brought us the Japanese Transformer series in US for the first time. So wait until Shout Factory give more information about Gaiking's release. I hope it's the uncut subbed release of that old show. Anyway, at least old school anime is getting a revival in US. First Rose of Versailles, then Lupin the 3rd first season, After that Cutey Honey and Mazinger Z, and now this.

But it was explicitely stated that this would be an "abrigded" version of the story. So either this is going to be the WWP-produced movies, which tell an abridged version of the story, or this is going to be a "Best of" release, which only features the episodes that are story-focused, and that would honestly be an awkward release style.
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo, This is not a best of release. I just talked to a rep for Shout! Factory at New York Comic Con, and he said that material will be pulled from multiple episodes. I thought that was good news.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1