• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Hunting - NO Recommendation threads allowed! [READ THE 1st POST]

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote
With strict parameters of sub-genres you should often be able to ask within the thread of one of the official threads. Or if there isn't an official recommendation thread you can ask a mod if it'd be alright to start one.

For instance, a "Post apocalyptic and Dystopian anime recommendation thread" would probably be okayed by a mod if you asked and you could ask within the thread for such shows with an upbeat ending.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Set1229

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
With strict parameters of sub-genres you should often be able to ask within the thread of one of the official threads. Or if there isn't an official recommendation thread you can ask a mod if it'd be alright to start one.

For instance, a "Post apocalyptic and Dystopian anime recommendation thread" would probably be okayed by a mod if you asked and you could ask within the thread for such shows with an upbeat ending.

Thank you for the information, hopefully I will get some answers on anime that aren't "attacking" people like me.
Set1229

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:16 am Reply with quote
I had an additional idea for ways one could look for recommendations, but wondered if it could work here.

Perhaps we can make suggestions based on voice actor/voice actresses that seem to pop up in the fan's library frequently, but the fan is specific in their tastes for the anime's story telling so its not really mindlessly following the voice over artist.

For an example I have: I like Megumi Hayashibara's voice and characters in Ranma (girl Ranma), Slayers (Lina), Cowboy Bebop (Faye Valentine) and Lost Universe (Canal) but for personal reasons that are too dark and deep to share from my real world history, I am incompatible with Evangelion's themes of war, so despite Hayashibara-san playing Rei, there would be an incompatibility issue and as much as I like her voice and singing I do not like ecchi regardless of who voices in it.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:06 pm Reply with quote
The recent acquisition of Mad Bull 34 made me wonder if we could have a recommendation thread dedicated to "so bad it's good" anime. It should be very clear that it would be a thread for guilty pleasures and terrible anime that is enjoyable specifically because of it and not a place for people to say "I hate anime X, it sucks" (and those people should get their posts deleted). It's a place for people to recommend Garzey's Wing because the plot is an absolute mess, the writing is atrocious, and the dub is horrendously awful, but it'll make you laugh 'til you pee and you'll be quoting terrible lines from it for months.

So Bad It's Good is practically its own genre and I'm sure a lot of the 90s OVAs have been forgotten, not to mention stuff that's never actually came over here (Mars of Destruction comes to mind), and some of us always need good suggestions for drinking games, right? A rec thread for the campy B movies that remind us of Mystery Science Theater 3000.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:12 am Reply with quote
You know, you guys really could make this very easy by simply creating an entirely separate forum dedicated to recommendation threads. That way, you don't need to confine recommendations to narrowly-defined genres or what have you and also don't have to worry about recommendation threads clogging up other areas of the forum, and even if you do get a few stragglers from people who don't know what they're doing, you can always move them to the correct place.

http://www.metal-archives.com/board/
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewforum.php?f=11&sid=e8adc00a239ee43f9724175e3722310a

There's an example for you. That's a heavy metal music forum (and actually, they allow recommendation requests for non- metal music as well, but you get the point), but it's the same principle. Make it a forum in the General group, or a subforum in the larger Anime forum, either will work fine. Do this and we can finally dispense with all of these, "hey can we make a general recommendation thread for this, or that, or herp derp?"
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Or Gatherum, we can expect newcomers to display a basic level of intelligence and utilise the many, many useful tools we offer to find Anime that they may like. We're not a call centre for the internet. We don't exist merely to give recommendations to lazy, unintelligent people at the expense of our time and an entire Sub-Forum clogged up with nothing but the same trash.

I would ask you to forgive me for being blunt, but I actually think it is quite rude to just expect us to help people out. This is especially true when they might just make an account, ask for recommendations and then never be seen again. Why should we help people out who will not contribute to the community?

There are plenty of sites on the internet that allow recommendation threads, if people want them then they are spoiled for choice. We shouldn't sink down to that level.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:52 am Reply with quote
Why not? We already have a forum dedicated to retail and the sharing of news on new releases and pricing. Could all these lazy, unintelligent anime fans not just surf around the internet and find it themselves on Amazon, TRSI, SecondSpin, etc? Actually, couldn't the same be said of this site's function as a news source? Why can't these lazy, unintelligent anime fans run every which direction around the internet and find all these promos and announcements for themselves? Why do we have to provide it to them in an RSS feed?

Also...
>Implying that such a sub-forum would only be useful to newcomers, or that I was suggesting it solely to cater to them.

Indeed, it is very rude to expect help from someone, or for someone else, or to provide it. I apologise for my blatant disregard for basic anime forum ethics.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:40 am Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
Why not? We already have a forum dedicated to retail and the sharing of news on new releases and pricing...

Yes, and we also have the Encyclopedia, numerous genre recommendation threads, links to the myAnime lists of numerous people, and other tools to give guidance to those who want it and steer them in a useful direction. We've already bent over backwards to help people find Anime they like, why should we let them come into our house and trash the place as well?

Even if we contain it all into one Sub-Forum the mess doesn't go away, it just gets confined to the equivalent of a single bedroom. An entire Sub-Forum filled with nothing but recommendation threads would be a nightmare and an eyesore.

Gatherum wrote:
Also...
>Implying that such a sub-forum would only be useful to newcomers, or that I was suggesting it solely to cater to them.

Newcomers would predominantly use it because most people who stay around ANN long enough know how to use the tools on offer to find Anime they like.

Gatherum wrote:
Indeed, it is very rude to expect help from someone, or for someone else, or to provide it. I apologise for my blatant disregard for basic anime forum ethics.

Not sure if you are being sincere or sarcastic.

Unless you are asking someone to do their job, it is rude to just expect people to help you. If they want to help you then they will, and most of the time, asking politely and respectfully and intelligently will lead to help being offered. People like helping others help, it makes them feel good. But people don't like others demanding help from them, it's not cool and it's not polite and it's just plain rude. Especially when the person just buggers off after you've helped them, never to be seen again.
OsamuTezuka

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:20 pm Reply with quote
How is there no "official recommendation thread" for mecha?? Confused

Well I wanted to start a thread asking about a specific subset of mecha, but I'm waiting for a mod (Key) to reply to my PM. I have a big list of mecha anime to make an "official recommendation thread" too though. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:16 am Reply with quote
Technically, you could put mecha under science fiction. I mean, big/giant robots kinda' have the words "science" ('cause they're mechanical) and "fiction" ('cause we can't make 'em in real life) written all over them, right?
OsamuTezuka

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Technically, you could put mecha under science fiction. I mean, big/giant robots kinda' have the words "science" ('cause they're mechanical) and "fiction" ('cause we can't make 'em in real life) written all over them, right?

SciFi is really way too broad a scope. Heck, even mecha has sub-genres. Even Wikipedia divides mecha into subgenres.

Look at my huge list of mecha anime and tell me it doesn't warrant its own categorization:
http://mechaanime.wikia.com/wiki/The_Megalist

Last edited by OsamuTezuka on Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
OsamuTezuka

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:42 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Unless you are asking someone to do their job, it is rude to just expect people to help you. If they want to help you then they will, and most of the time, asking politely and respectfully and intelligently will lead to help being offered. People like helping others help, it makes them feel good. But people don't like others demanding help from them, it's not cool and it's not polite and it's just plain rude. Especially when the person just buggers off after you've helped them, never to be seen again.

What's rude is automatically assuming that anyone asking for some reccomendations is lazy, unintelligent, and demanding. Somehow, I don't think many people were starting threads saying "RECOMMENDATIONS NOW!!!!!!111111" I'm pretty sure most people ask nicely, it's just people like you automatically taking offense based on your previous assumptions.

The ANN encyclopedia & other similar sites don't cover absolutely everything. That's why I created the mecha anime wiki that I linked to above. I noticed a lack of info for that genre on several sites, including ANN. I might be curious about anime made by the same artists that made something I just watched, or maybe in the same genre or specific subgenre. I struggled compiling my big list of mecha anime for years. To be honest most of it was compiled by someone else, though there were things not in their list that I added myself. I still don't see the list as complete. While I was working on the wiki, there were a few artists I was researching and there were points where I found absolutely zero on ANN and/or other sites I looked on.

So please, stop assuming everyone is an ignorant lazy fool out to make your messageboard visits miserable.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I mean, big/giant robots kinda' have the words "science" ('cause they're mechanical) and "fiction" ('cause we can't make 'em in real life) written all over them, right?

True, but by that definition To Heart is science fiction because we cannot make Multi now.

I think that the ban on recommendations is rather silly but that is not a complaint, just an opinion . I am not a subscriber so I do not really have any right to complain.
There are other places that I can, and do, go to get and give recommendations.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Okay, start a Mecha thread, then. I'll add it to the list of genres. I guess if people are nice enough to elaborate on their suggestions, then the more detailed recommendation could help weed things out.

Touma wrote:
I think that the ban on recommendations is rather silly but that is not a complaint, just an opinion.

In the rare case that a user has some really specific criteria, I don't mind a recommendation thread. If they're very particular about what they want and can ask in detail, that's fine. But a very large majority of the time, they don't. They usually just ask for anything and everything, give a list of what they've seen, people reply (sometimes in detail), and that user who started the thread usually won't even reply back.

It's a disservice to other users' hard work in making said recommendations. So to counter that, we thought it'd be easier and less stressful to just point them to these genre threads.

A good recommendation inquiry is by no means outlawed. It's just that most people hardly put any effort into it. Those kinds of threads are frowned upon, and thus not allowed.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
They usually just ask for anything and everything, give a list of what they've seen, people reply (sometimes in detail), and that user who started the thread usually won't even reply back.

It's a disservice to other users' hard work in making said recommendations.

You have a very good point there. I see that far too often in places that do allow recommendations threads. It really is annoying, and rude, and does definitely discourage people from giving recommendations.

Quote:
So to counter that, we thought it'd be easier and less stressful to just point them to these genre threads.

The places that I know of that allow recommendations do not have anything like the genre threads. I think that you do have a good alternative to recommendation threads here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 17