• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Out of Print List

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RZetlin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Oh why is Tokyopop pulling out some of their CLAMP titles?

How are we suppose to read them?

Do we have to rely on scanlations now?
rocklobster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Why are they pulling any titles for that matter? I'm also surprised that CLAMP titles are on the list, but I guess it's because those aren't as popular as the rest of their titles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Woah, that's a lot of CLAMP there. Did they lose some sort of agreement or something?

(reminds self to finally go pick up Shirahime Syo)
.Sy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, thankfully I haven't seriously considered any of the manga on that list. Unfortunately, I was a bit interested in Shirahime Syo, only because I haven't read any CLAMP and I figured a one-shot would be quick and easy. Those are all old CLAMP titles, so I'm not surpirsed that they would lose selling power.
TakinawaTonfa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Why is the first volume of Akira on that list?

Isn't that a Dark Horse comic?
arxane

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:54 pm Reply with quote
TakinawaTonfa wrote:
Why is the first volume of Akira on that list?

Isn't that a Dark Horse comic?

Probably a Cinemanga or something.

I also noticed the entire Cyborg 009 series. Guess that manga series totally bombed.
JHU Battousai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I remember most of the CLAMP titles going on 1/2 being announced as licensed together back in 2002 (Found the link).

This might be a result of just a lot of licenses expiring together, and since Del Ray gets first crack at CLAMP's publisher's catalog (Kodansha), TokyoPop can't get the renewals.

That might be the case for most of the titles on the list, especially since Del Ray and Viz have partnerships with the big three manga publishers in Japan (Kodansha, Shueisha, and Shogakukan).
Grico

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Yeah i own a lot of manga on that list actually. Still needed some of that earlier Clamp stuff
Azumangaman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I also noticed the entire Cyborg 009 series. Guess that manga series totally bombed.

That's awful. I have the first 2 volumes but I guess I have to find something to do with them now..

Does anybody know what happened to Gatekeepers? Because I have 2 volumes but the other ones don't seem to exist...[/quote]
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure exactly what this means. I'm guessing that the titles aren't selling and that's why. But what's with the return issue (not understanding it)? Also (although it's probably different for manga) will the value for these titles shoot up since they are out of print?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:33 pm Reply with quote
rocklobster wrote:
Why are they pulling any titles for that matter? I'm also surprised that CLAMP titles are on the list, but I guess it's because those aren't as popular as the rest of their titles.

Tokyopop is a licensing company. Unlike Viz, which now owns the rights to most of its titles, and many of the anime companies, which also own rights, Tokyopop only licenses the rights to manga (Tokyopop owns the rights to most of its OEL stuff).

These licensing agreements have expiry dates.

To put it simply, these titles are going out of print because Tokyopop's license has, or will soon, expire.

-t
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:40 pm Reply with quote
There's also the economic concept of diminishing returns. If you continue to print out books, at some point you'll start to lose money because the market will be oversaturated with your own material, hence why you stop printing.
Karala

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Reading this news article, might explain why Kodocha and Marmalade Boy are no longer licensed. I still need to buy Kodocha! Sad RAR!

This is what it says:
Quote:
Manganews.net has spotted an interesting article on comics212.net highlighting the difficulties of manga licensing. Japanese publisher Shueisha recently bought out Viz. Marmalade Boy and Kodocha were both licensed to Tokyopop from Shuesha in Japan.

Comics212.net point out both are missing from the Toykopop website, leading to the speculation that Shueisha doesn’t want what are now it’s rivals owning it’s licences. So far none of this has been officially confirmed. This comes at an unfortunate time for Tokyopop since FUNimation have recently started releasing the Kodocha anime. The article also highlights the continuing struggle over the Japanese rights to popular magical girl series Sailor Moon.

Oh, and what about Sailor Moon? Shouldn't it be on that list?

Last edited by Karala on Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
Dranxis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Tokyopop is a licensing company. Unlike Viz, which now owns the rights to most of its titles, and many of the anime companies, which also own rights, Tokyopop only licenses the rights to manga (Tokyopop owns the rights to most of its OEL stuff).

These licensing agreements have expiry dates.

To put it simply, these titles are going out of print because Tokyopop's license has, or will soon, expire.

-t

Does this apply to all of the out-of-print titles? Because some of them seem like newer licenses that just didn't sell well. It's too bad about Cyborg 009: I'm just glad I scooped up the last volume of that recently. It's unfortunate that such a classic didn't receive the attention it should've gotten...

Slightly off-topic question: does anyone know if Viz's rights to Urusei Yatsura will ever expire, or do they own the rights? I know they'll never reprint it, but I could hope that it'd be picked up by a different company...
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Dranxis wrote:
Does this apply to all of the out-of-print titles? Because some of them seem like newer licenses that just didn't sell well. It's too bad about Cyborg 009: I'm just glad I scooped up the last volume of that recently. It's unfortunate that such a classic didn't receive the attention it should've gotten...

It's speculation on my part, and I guarantee its accurate for most of the titles. Some of them might just be financial consideration though...

Quote:
Slightly off-topic question: does anyone know if Viz's rights to Urusei Yatsura will ever expire, or do they own the rights?

Never.

Since VIZ LTD merged with ShoPro USA, Viz Media is the international licensing arm of Shogakukan. If its a Shogakukan title, (Urusei Yatsura is), there's no license involved to expire.

Quote:
I know they'll never reprint it, but I could hope that it'd be picked up by a different company...

Which is not to say that Viz wouldn't decide to license the title to another company. Viz already does that in numerous cases (mostly in international markets where Viz has no presence as a publisher).

So you can still hope.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3