• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: JManga Adds Yozakura Quartet, Elemental Gelade, Aoi Hana

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm really happy that they added these titles. I was hoping someone would license Aoi Hana and rescue Neko Ramen.

...but I'd really like to see them in print, too, at the same time.

So I guess I'm excited but a teeny bit diappointed, too.

I hope POD becomes an option someday. I imagine if enough people ask for it, it could move closer to being a reality.
taraterrrific

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quote
aw man I though Jmanga printed it...darn. oh well hopefully this means someone will pick up these titles as well ...
ZeroDemio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Aoi Hana, let's go!
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Aoi Hana!

Very excellent news! If I didn't find the act unpleasant and they weren't a legal entity representing a nexus of contracts, I'd give JManga a hug.

I love Wandering Son and I've wanted to read this for a while now. Takako Shimura has a very delicate, thoughtful hand that's well suited subjects like this. I'm thrilled to finally have a chance to enjoy it. I can't deny that I'd prefer lovely hardbound editions like Fantagraphics has produced for Wandering Son or even ordinary paperback graphic novels, but that never seemed likely. I hadn't been interested in JManga before, but this changes that.

I'm sure that I'll find other things that I enjoy, but this alone is enough to make willing to give JManga my money, if necessary. (I'd heretofore ignored it, so I don't know a lot about it) If You Wanna Destroy the World sounds a little weird, I might like it.

Between this and first episode of Rose of Versailles being streamed, I'm way over my, "oh Hell yeah!," quota for the day.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:49 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote
WOOHOO, Aoi Hana!

Looks like I'm gonna have to start ordering from JManga. I've been holding off until they got something I really wanted.

Ideally I'd like it in printed format, but I'll settle for digital.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Where did the subject line that I threw out come from?

Surrender Artist wrote:
Aoi Hana!

<snip>

I love Wandering Son and I've wanted to read this for a while now. Takako Shimura has a very delicate, thoughtful hand that's well suited subjects like this. I'm thrilled to finally have a chance to read it. I can't deny that I'd prefer lovely hardbound editions like Fantagraphics has produced for Wandering Son or even ordinary paperback graphic novels, but that never seemed likely.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I've wanted to buy Aoi Hana for years, but I've wanted to buy a printed copy. I was hoping that Fantagraphics might pick it up to put it alongside Wandering Son, or that some company would give it above-average treatment (like Yen's Bride's Story volumes). <sigh> No luck. ;_;

Are the JManga titles downloadable, or do they have to be read online?
Genet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
Where did the subject line that I threw out come from?

Surrender Artist wrote:
Aoi Hana!

<snip>

I love Wandering Son and I've wanted to read this for a while now. Takako Shimura has a very delicate, thoughtful hand that's well suited subjects like this. I'm thrilled to finally have a chance to read it. I can't deny that I'd prefer lovely hardbound editions like Fantagraphics has produced for Wandering Son or even ordinary paperback graphic novels, but that never seemed likely.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I've wanted to buy Aoi Hana for years, but I've wanted to buy a printed copy. I was hoping that Fantagraphics might pick it up to put it alongside Wandering Son, or that some company would give it above-average treatment (like Yen's Bride's Story volumes). <sigh> No luck. Anime cry

Are the JManga titles downloadable, or do they have to be read online?

I believe for now they have to be read online, though I think they have apps for offline reading? I don't really know.

If you mean can you download them as a PDF or similar format and read them, then no.

I, too, kind of really hoped Fantagraphics (or Vertical) could've picked it up. Who knows, though? If JManga doesn't have print rights, then that means someone could still get them. I get the feeling, though, that companies don't want to try to get print rights for JManga titles.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Cool Yozakura Quartet I would like to start reading that agian
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I want Yozakura Quartet back in print again. Sad

I'm still at Volume 5 in print version from Del Rey.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:14 pm Reply with quote
As I big fan of Yozakura Quartet, I feel I should be more excited about this than I am. The thing is, I want to own them physically, which is something JManga doesn't do (as far as I know). I agree with others that a Print-On-Demand service would go a long way, especially for me.

This whole transition from print to digital manga, while understandable, has been very uncomfortable for me. So far, I've been usually able to get away with reading an entire series from my local library before deciding to buy it, a model that might not work with digital manga. I am keeping my eye on JManga7.com, which may work in my favor, but I'm still really uncomfortable with the idea of "owning" digital manga (which is really weird considering that I have NO problem with Steam). Just an awkward transitional phase, I guess.
adam_omega

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
I'm not sure how I feel about this. I've wanted to buy Aoi Hana for years, but I've wanted to buy a printed copy.

It wouldn't sell in print form here, which is why none of the North American companies ever picked it up.
Ghstmtrx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I am also a huge fan of Yozakura Quartet. I got to say I am disappointed that it is not getting a physical release. I love actually owning and looking at my collection, not just reading. A digital release takes that away. It is frustrating that this happened to a series that was once printed. I have every physical volume, now new volumes are getting released and I won't have them for my collection.

As much as I love Yozakura I will wait until it come out physically. Which I do realize may never happen.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
AOI HANA?! Hnnnnnnnnnngh I want that in print, not just digital!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
adam_omega wrote:
Ingraman wrote:
I'm not sure how I feel about this. I've wanted to buy Aoi Hana for years, but I've wanted to buy a printed copy.

It wouldn't sell in print form here, which is why none of the North American companies ever picked it up.

Did Girl Friends do that terribly despite being on the NYT manga bestseller list for its week?
Genet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
adam_omega wrote:
Ingraman wrote:

Did Girl Friends do that terribly despite being on the NYT manga bestseller list for its week?

Wait wut. What does GF have to do with Aoi Hana, just out of curiousity?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2