• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Now Streaming: Rose of Versailles

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Yes! It's up Anime hyper So excited for this show! Razz
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Before anyone lets us know, we're aware that the subtitles have a few text encoding issues (é is getting turned into jibberish characters, for example). We've let Viki know and hopefully it will be fixed shortly.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Thank you very much to ANN for making me aware of this.

I was a little unsure about Rose of Versailles. It has an awfully big reputation, but I hadn't ever seen it. I was thinking that I'd just pass this by and wait for the Nozomi set, but I got a little too excited for just that and I figured that I should see if it merited its reputation, to say nothing of my buying it.

Yes, yes it did and I will preorder this as soon as I can.

I wasn't expecting to, but I loved the first episode. An excited smile never left my face. They obviously didn't have the budget to really do the fighting justice, but I really liked the designs. The style is very different from what we're used to now. A lot about it felt different, even the voice acting seemed conspicuously unlike what we hear today. I enjoyed the change of pace. What's more, Oscar is awesome. I expected her to be, but there's nothing quite like really experiencing that repeated, "oh Hell yeah," feeling that she routinely provides. I just might have made an embarrassingly enthusiastic physical gesture at a certain point near the end.

It probably helped that the shots of Oscar wrapped in thorns at the start of the opening sequence immediately brought Revolutionary Girl Utena to mind.

I think that I'll wait for the DVD sets to see the rest, but I appreciate having the chance to sample it before that. This one's going high on my list.

Oh, Hell yeah.

jsevakis wrote:
Before anyone lets us know, we're aware that the subtitles have a few text encoding issues (é is getting turned into jibberish characters, for example). We've let Viki know and hopefully it will be fixed shortly.

I assume that this has something to do with why one of the characters was referred to as Andr. I was also going to mention that Oscar Françoise de Jarjayes turned into Oscar Françoise de Jarjayes . My greater complaint is that they seem awkwardly 'arranged' at times. Very often a single word at the end of a phrase or sentence would appear alone after the main body of the phrase or sentence. Something weird happened to them during the scene where the grandmother is drinking wine too. There seemed to be a big jumble of text blinking by really fast.

Not a death blow, but I hope that the subtitles on the Nozomi release are better.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:06 pm; edited 6 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Not available due to regional licensing issues.
Damn, damn, DAMN!!!

Well, I'll still buy the DVDs, as I have a multi-region player, but they're missing a chance to introduce this show to new viewers in the UK.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Nice! I can't wait for the physical release to come out, so I can add it to my collection.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Wonderful.

Well, it is a shame they were not able to get the broad streaming rights they got for the Tezuka anime (Black Jack, Dear Brother, Astro Boy etc.) ...

... but other than that one downer, wonderful.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:34 pm Reply with quote
When will it be released on DVD again? Thanks!
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Wait, how did I miss this was getting released?! Shocked I had no idea! So excited now! It's totally going on my "To Buy" list.

Wasn't this one of those series that didn't have a shot at ever getting released here? How did this happen? Oh well, I'm not complaining! I'll just get in digital line to purchase my very own copy of it. Very Happy

After rereleasing Utena, and now this, Nozomi is going to be getting so many love-letters signed by me... by which I mean dollars. They'll be getting so many of my dollars.
RapidEyeMovement

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I was super excited...until I saw it'll be on Viki. Their vids have been refusing to load all the way through. (At least their Don Dracula and Dear Brother vids.)
lem

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote
What a royal tease. So when can I pre-order this already?
Oscar as strong willed, independent and smart made this one instantly likable. Her messed up Father's wishful thinking was also enjoyable, as was the sense of humor with Grandma. It'll be interesting to see where Andr (spelling?) ends up in all of this. That and how Oscar's fate plays out.
roseversailles

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm new to ANN, I have no idea on how to reply to a specific person, if I can, so bear with me. You've just gotten a taste of Berubara, perhaps my favorite anime of all time. If you liked the first episode, I can promise you: you're going to love this series. The first ten or so episodes are mostly court intrigue and can be slow going for most, but once you hit the teens of this series things get REALLY good. The 20's and 30's are the highlight of the show! Oscar is a bundle of awesome, is she not? Be prepared to become emotionally linked to this character's fate Smile And, by the way, the opening shot you described figures heavily into the last ten episodes of the series. It'll be fun to see what you pick up! Very Happy

Oh, and lem, the spelling is Andre. Andre Grenadier. That was another typo on the sub!
Genet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I just watched it and really enjoyed it!

While talking about the anime, I'm kind of surprised the manga has not been picked up. Does anyone know if it's ever been released outside of Japan? I seem to remember somebody may have released it, but I cannot remember where it was.
lem

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:17 pm Reply with quote
roseversailles wrote:
I'm new to ANN, I have no idea on how to reply to a specific person, if I can, so bear with me. You've just gotten a taste of Berubara, perhaps my favorite anime of all time. If you liked the first episode, I can promise you: you're going to love this series. The first ten or so episodes are mostly court intrigue and can be slow going for most, but once you hit the teens of this series things get REALLY good. The 20's and 30's are the highlight of the show! Oscar is a bundle of awesome, is she not? Be prepared to become emotionally linked to this character's fate Smile And, by the way, the opening shot you described figures heavily into the last ten episodes of the series. It'll be fun to see what you pick up! Very Happy

Oh, and lem, the spelling is Andre. Andre Grenadier. That was another typo on the sub!

yep, Mr. Sevakis did mention difficulties with the encoding for 'E', and just from one episode I'm beginning to see what the fuss is all about. I can't wait to get my grubby paws on the new release and experience it in total. You're spot on about Oscar, I love her old school character design and how she doesn't take smack from anyone. Having that wherewithal to define her place in that world is admirable. And that right there is what has hooked me. it's gonna be a long wait.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Genet wrote:
I just watched it and really enjoyed it!

While talking about the anime, I'm kind of surprised the manga has not been picked up. Does anyone know if it's ever been released outside of Japan? I seem to remember somebody may have released it, but I cannot remember where it was.

Yes, it was released in both French and Spanish.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen this show before, but I really enjoyed that episode! Very Happy Can't wait to see more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3