Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Adds Sword Art Online, Blast of Tempest, Magi Anime


Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Vapors



Joined: 27 Jul 2003
Posts: 135
Location: Bay Area

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
manicli wrote:
Vata Raven wrote:
manicli wrote:
Nobody is telling you that you're wrong but you've never stated a reason with examples for you hating PMMM.

I personally really like PMMM and dislike Durarara but atleast I can give an example of why I dislike the show by saying they copied the idea of The Beatles walking across Abbey Road except in Tokyo. To me, they shouldn't have put that on the lunch box.

Eh, yeah, dtm42 was SAYING PMMM was better then Drrr. She was telling that I was wrong to think Drrr was better. I hate PMMM, simple. I hate the characters, the designs, the crappy voice acting, the use of damn moe characters (they can still look use with the the damn moe design, look at CCS), soe cute thing showing up and sudden destruction happens...the over use of cute...I can list more.

And you hate that they're "copying" The Beatles? A simple picture that was made and mostly had to be approved by Ryohgo Narita, the maker of the series? Ths series has a lot of influence from pop culture. And honeslty, I look up this so-called "Beatles" walk, the only that matches the walk is Shinra. Oh boo hoo, they "copy" a famous walk, it's not going to be the end of the world because of it. But that would have to be the dumbest reason to hate a show, just because you don't like a picture produced for a product. I love the picture, all the poses fit all the characters personalties.


Well I guess people will tell you that you're wrong but if you just simply state what you've said without a reason or evidence to defend your point then that just proves their point because it makes yours' invalid.

Your argument still doesn't make sense to me since you list the stuff you hate but still not a reason why you hate them. If you said for example "I hate the moe characters because the characters don't look realistic" then I would actually understand what you're talking about but as of right now you've only listed things you hate and not a single reason why you hate them.

As for The Beatles walk. If a show is willing to copy something that famous just so it could be a bit more successful then in my opinion it's not worth watching. I don't dislike the show because of the picture, I dislike the show because of what the picture tells about the show.

Now it may not be a big deal for you but my friend who's not into anime saw that picture and he literately flipped out and completely denounced the anime, company and the producers for copying The Beatles.

I'm also astonished that you had to look up Abbey Road but let's not go into that since you obviously don't like The Beatles the way most people do.


I have to lol at your friend for flipping out. The Beatles are one of the most seminal bands in the 20th century who helped chart the course of pop music's history. As a band who had a massive imprint on society, culture and music, OF COURSE they will be copied, parodied and influenced both in looks, style and music. DRRR was not the first nor will be the last to use such image in the promotion or use in their product.

And the focus on whether PMMM is great or not in Vata Raven's eyes detracts from the main point s/he was making, that AoA will put out product and price as they see fit and each individual consumer will use their own internal logic and decision making on whether to buy or not buy. Why someone chooses to get something should not bother or affect you in any way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
manicli



Joined: 16 Jun 2012
Posts: 180
Location: Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Vapors wrote:
And the focus on whether PMMM is great or not in Vata Raven's eyes detracts from the main point s/he was making, that AoA will put out product and price as they see fit and each individual consumer will use their own internal logic and decision making on whether to buy or not buy. Why someone chooses to get something should not bother or affect you in any way.


It's not the fact that he's buying the stuff that's bothering me in anyway, I couldn't care less whether he buys a release or not. For example of he/she said "I'm not buying this series". Well I wouldn't give it a second thought.

What does bother me if someone disagrees with my opinion without giving me a reason because then I'm just left wondering why he hates something so much. Their argument doesn't make sense. Now you could argue that it's none of my business but once someone disagrees with my opinion it kind of IS.

It's like as if someone just denounced something you feel really passionate about to your face then left without giving a single reason for what he/she did. I'm sure that would be upset and wondering what the heck is his logic?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vata Raven



Joined: 21 May 2007
Posts: 695
Location: TN

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:39 pm Reply with quote
manicli wrote:
Your argument still doesn't make sense to me since you list the stuff you hate but still not a reason why you hate them. If you said for example "I hate the moe characters because the characters don't look realistic" then I would actually understand what you're talking about but as of right now you've only listed things you hate and not a single reason why you hate them.

Why the bloody hell does it bloody matter if I go into bloody detail in why I hate something? Oh, that's right, because the fans can't expect that someone might hate a "great" show.

manicli wrote:
As for The Beatles walk. If a show is willing to copy something that famous just so it could be a bit more successful then in my opinion it's not worth watching. I don't dislike the show because of the picture, I dislike the show because of what the picture tells about the show. I'm also astonished that you had to look up Abbey Road but let's not go into that since you obviously don't like The Beatles the way most people do.

Refusing to watch a show because of a picture is a dumbass reason. At least I watched an episode of PMMM before putting it into the unwanted list. And so what if I had to look up the Beatles pictures, I could care less about some French band. I don't keep up with bands, I don't keep up with pop cutler, I never understand it when Funimation writes in American pop cutler.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vapors



Joined: 27 Jul 2003
Posts: 135
Location: Bay Area

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
@manicli: I totally understand your feeling. I always want to know the mindset of someone who dislikes something I like or takes a contrary position to an issue near to me. But I've learned, you just sometimes will not get that reason and even if you do, sometimes its not one that will make a lot of sense to you anyways. So I learn to just put my hands up and and walk away. Its just going to be something that unnecessarily upsets you.

@Vata: The Beatles are English not French. And considering how old the Beatles catalog is (40+ years) it doesn't suprise me less people know about them since you only hear their songs on oldies or soft rock stations at this point. And I don't follow pop cutler either, but it sounds good to eat. In fact, its dinner time right now so I'm off for food.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
dtm42



Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 12408
Location: NZL

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
At least I watched an episode of PMMM before putting it into the unwanted list.


One episode, huh? Then you haven't seen anything yet.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
walw6pK4Alo



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 7486

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:38 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Vata Raven wrote:
At least I watched an episode of PMMM before putting it into the unwanted list.


One episode, huh? Then you haven't seen anything yet.


Surely you don't mean to suggest she doesn't have anime clairvoyance?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dtm42



Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 12408
Location: NZL

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Surely you don't mean to suggest she doesn't have anime clairvoyance?


LOL, nice one.

I've dropped plenty of shows after the first episode, usually because it is very obvious from the first episode what the rest of the show will be like. But PMMM's first episode is famous - even infamous - for not being entirely truthful. Each and every prospective viewer should give the show at least three episodes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
manicli



Joined: 16 Jun 2012
Posts: 180
Location: Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
manicli wrote:
Your argument still doesn't make sense to me since you list the stuff you hate but still not a reason why you hate them. If you said for example "I hate the moe characters because the characters don't look realistic" then I would actually understand what you're talking about but as of right now you've only listed things you hate and not a single reason why you hate them.

Why the bloody hell does it bloody matter if I go into bloody detail in why I hate something? Oh, that's right, because the fans can't expect that someone might hate a "great" show.

manicli wrote:
As for The Beatles walk. If a show is willing to copy something that famous just so it could be a bit more successful then in my opinion it's not worth watching. I don't dislike the show because of the picture, I dislike the show because of what the picture tells about the show. I'm also astonished that you had to look up Abbey Road but let's not go into that since you obviously don't like The Beatles the way most people do.

Refusing to watch a show because of a picture is a dumbass reason. At least I watched an episode of PMMM before putting it into the unwanted list. And so what if I had to look up the Beatles pictures, I could care less about some French band. I don't keep up with bands, I don't keep up with pop cutler, I never understand it when Funimation writes in American pop cutler.


Because in the real world you have to justify what you say. So I thought you'd be mature enough to understand that. Do you think that if you go against someone at work without explaining your reason, its going to fly? Ofcourse not, you'll probably be looked down upon. I always have to justify what I say every week when I write a lab report(s). Heck I even have to justify myself when doing regular assignments.

Do you think I can just walk into my lab and say to my TA I think this will happen? Of course not, I'd probably fail my lab if I didn't justify myself. Do you think anyone will take me seriously if suddenly came up with a hypothesis with no evidence? No I'd probably be the laughing stock of my entire class not to mention I'd fail the assignment/lab report.

I guess logical argument is beyond you which is quite a shame because you seem to be quite opinionated but none the less, opinion without reason or evidence is just worthless. I guess humanity has declined. (I've yet to watch the anime)

As for the picture thing, I've watched the first 5 episodes of Durarara and concluded that this show has nothing to offer me in terms of entertainment or knowledge. I would be neutral but the show just had to copy something famous. And The Beatles aren't french!

So now I will conclude that not only do you fail to have cognitive abilities as you refused to understand my reasoning but your lack of research ability shows that you clearly didn't have a good education and either aren't very good at researching or you just can't read. Which ever the case may be, the appropriate plebeian term for you would be a dumbass. Either way it seems language and the ability to comprehend is beyond you. I recommend going to see a psychiatrist as this could be masking a more serious brain disease.

@Vapors

I suppose you're right to some extent. Though it still amazes me some people can say what ever without a reason and believe they are right or that other people will show them any respect. I guess I'm just astonished at how ignorant people have become.

But back on to topic here, it's going to be expensive but I think I'll start saving up for it so when it comes out I'll be able to afford it. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tuor_of_Gondolin
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 20 Apr 2009
Posts: 2086
Location: Bellevue, WA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Aniplex, eh? Well... I guess that means these titles will be out of my price range for the foreseeable future.

I'm a sad panda. :/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime
Maidenoftheredhand



Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Posts: 1747

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I thought the regular/bare bones edition of Madoka Magica was too expensive, not for the series but for just a DVD/BR.

However I bought it anyway so I guess my head saying it was too expensive and what I wanted conflicted and what I wanted won out.

I did get it signed by Gen as well so I guess that also helped off set the cost.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShanaFan852



Joined: 01 Jul 2010
Posts: 544
Location: Minnesota, USA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
ShanaFan852 wrote:
GokuMew2 wrote:
Do you rewatch all your anime? I don't mean just once and then it's shelved-- Do you watch it 5 times or more?
The very idea of that is unthinkable to me. I've seen so much, and there's WAY more shows I want to see, including ones that will come in future decades. There's only going to be more anime.

Okay, but you're not stating the most important information, and that is whether you feel the prices are too high or not. If you do then it's not surprising because you would be paying $150+ just to watch something once. Someone who pays $150+ but watches the series multiple times is going to feel that the price is more worthwhile than someone who watches only once.
I honestly don't feel the prices are too high, regardless of the show. Some things may not be worth my money, but they're still not overpriced.

If SAO ends up being $150 for a BD box (Though who knows if that's the release format it'll get, AoA does not have an established release pattern yet), I still won't find it overpriced despite the fact I'm beginning to hate the series.

Some people need to realize "Not worth the money=/=overpriced".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Blood-
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 07 Mar 2009
Posts: 14187
Location: Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Whether something is overpriced is a subjective opinion. However, with AoA, it's possible to look at what they put out and compare it to similar releases by other R1 distribs. Many of their releases are considerably more expensive than similar offerings by other companies. Hell, many of AoA's LEs are still more expensive at their discounted price than Funi's LEs are at their full MSRP. So, in that context, it is fair to say that in comparison to other companies, many of AoA's products are overpriced given what the R1 market normally sets as a baseline price.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
ShanaFan852



Joined: 01 Jul 2010
Posts: 544
Location: Minnesota, USA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
manicli wrote:
Nobody is telling you that you're wrong but you've never stated a reason with examples for you hating PMMM.


I don't mind if Vata Raven doesn't like PMMM. I've never said that anyone has to like a certain work. But just because Vata Raven dislikes PMMM does not change the fact that it is an objectively great show.
I'm sorry, but I can't help but laugh at this, even though I find Madoka very good (It got an 8/10 from me).

There is no such thing as objectively good, and objectively bad, especially when it's coming out of the mouth of a human. In order to be fully objective, you first need to get rid of all biases, which is impossible. There is no such thing as a person with no bias.

And really how is it objectively good? I've seen people like the guy who wrote this review (Actually an in-depth analysis that basically dissected the entire show) argue it's objectively bad a bit.
http://anidb.net/​perl-​bin/​animedb.​pl?​show=​animeatt&​aid=​8069&​attid=​7858
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dtm42



Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 12408
Location: NZL

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:13 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
I'm sorry, but I can't help but laugh at this, even though I find Madoka very good (It got an 8/10 from me).

There is no such thing as objectively good, and objectively bad...


[If you think he's wrong then make your case. "You're wrong" is not adding to the discussion.]

ShanaFan852 wrote:
And really how is it objectively good? I've seen people like the guy who wrote this review (Actually an in-depth analysis that basically dissected the entire show) argue it's objectively bad a bit.
http://anidb.net/​perl-​bin/​animedb.​pl?​show=​animeatt&​aid=​8069&​attid=​7858


This again. I'm really sick and tired of people using that moron's "review" (read: rant) as 'proof' that the show isn't all that good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Fencedude5609



Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Posts: 5085

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:15 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:

And really how is it objectively good? I've seen people like the guy who wrote this review (Actually an in-depth analysis that basically dissected the entire show) argue it's objectively bad a bit.
http://anidb.net/​perl-​bin/​animedb.​pl?​show=​animeatt&​aid=​8069&​attid=​7858


Yeah, you realize that just because someone bloviates for 3000 words does not mean their review is an "in depth analysis", right?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 21

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group