• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cowboy Bebop Helmer Shinichiro Watanabe, MAPPA Plan New TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
MAPPA, the new anime studio headed by MADHOUSE founder Masao Maruyama, confirmed with ANN on Monday that it is working with director Shinichiro Watanabe (Macross Plus, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Kids on the Slope) on an original television anime series.

Fantastic.

Watanabe is too talented to be doing adaptations. (As I understand it too, he's been trying to get an original project off the ground for a while and hasn't been able to).
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:38 am Reply with quote
Maruyama + Watanabe = Me Excited!
daichi383

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:40 am Reply with quote
I hear he's also got some of his Bones animation staff with him working on this. Including the guy that animated the Spike and Vicious fight. Wink
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:42 am Reply with quote
daichi383 wrote:
I hear he's also got some of his Bones animation staff with him working on this. Including the guy that animated the Spike and Vicious fight. Wink

I dont know about that I do know that he said that he is creating a comedy series at Bones.That is the second show that ANN is trying to confirm.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:30 am Reply with quote
Very excellent news! (For the fourth time since Saturday)

It’s too early and vague to get really excited, but Shinichirō Watanabe is talented enough for it to make some excitement justified. I’m glad that MAPPA will give him a chance to make something original. I liked Kids on the Slope plenty, but I’m most interested in seeing what the director can come up with from his own mind. I imagine that the studio will be a little chastened after the unfortunate losses incurred from Kids on the Slope, but it’s good that they seem creatively undaunted.

I can’t resist hoping that he gets some of the Cowboy Bebop staff back for this. It’d be especially nice if he could get Keiko Nobumoto back in the saddle as a writer; she’s been pretty quiet for a long time, which is a pity, because she’s very good at what she does. That said, I hope that this project, or the other one, tries a different path from that of Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo; as well regarded as those might be, Shinichirō Watanabe’s projects are far and few enough between that repeating himself too much would be a waste.

So the first episode of Rose of Versailles streaming, JManga licensing Aoi Hana, FUNImation licensing Wolf Children and the prospect of something new from the director of my favorite series. That’s nothing to complain about, to say the least. (Oh, and the Kick-Heart Kickstarter has broken $100,000 with two weeks yet to go)

Once more: Oh, Hell yeah.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:07 am Reply with quote
daichi383 wrote:

*drools* Ohhhh, be still, my heart! I loved his work on Kids on The Slope (As confined as it had to be because of its length, what he did with it was amazing). I can't begin to imagine what he'll be capable of with an original anime. Shocked
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:54 am Reply with quote
Excellent news!!! Very Happy

While I enjoyed his adaptation of Kids on the Slope, Shinichiro Watanabe is best at directing original works. Personally, I think he has so much creativity, style, and flair that his skill can only be expressed fully within works he created himself.

I'm curious; will this project be in 2014 or 2013? I heard on another website (sorry, it's in Spanish) that he was working on an original project in 2013 for BONES: " a space-travel action comedy”.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:07 am Reply with quote
Make it an action series this time, Watanabe!
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:13 am Reply with quote
Sweet it needs to be 26eps this time
Sacred Blood

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:24 pm Reply with quote
As much as i hated Cowboy Bebop and thought it was the most overrated show in anime history, i loved Samurai Champloo. Then when i watched Kids on the Slope, the show became one of my all time favs and my respect for this guy (and Yokko Kanno) sky rocketed. Now im actually forward to what he comes up with.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, glad to see he's not taking another huge break before creating something new.
Bonham

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm just glad Mappa is producing more work, and this time an original piece. Ever since reading about Maruyama's intentions to produce anime that no one else would (which he certainly did at Madhouse), I've been excited to see them succeed.
braves

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:

I'm curious; will this project be in 2014 or 2013? I heard on another website (sorry, it's in Spanish) that he was working on an original project in 2013 for BONES: " a space-travel action comedy”.
That site also reported that at the same convention there were strong hints of a 2nd season to Mushi-shi.

http://www.koi-nya.net/2012/10/12/mushishi-o-detroit-metal-city-tendra-una-continuacion-el-ano-que-viene/

http://www.koi-nya.net/2012/10/14/nuevas-pistas-apuntan-a-que-el-anime-de-mushishi-tendra-secuela-el-ano-que-viene/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Thank god.

For a minute there, I thought we were gonna be stuck with that Tennis show that I couldn't even watch for 20 seconds.
daichi383

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:34 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
daichi383 wrote:

I don't know about that I do know that he said that he is creating a comedy series at Bones.That is the second show that ANN is trying to confirm.

Wait so he's working on two shows at the same time?? Either way Yutaka Nakamura is back where he belongs. Under the guiding light of watanabe to animate more iconic fight scenes instead of good fights in a crap show *stares at darker than black season 2*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2