• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RightStuf Blind Box Bargains

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote
I have a couple questions for those who have received one of RightStuf's Blind Box Bargains. I've been pretty interested in them as they sound like a great value, but a few things deter me and I would like to hear about the experiences of those who have ordered them. Questions:

#1: It says it may be in Bargain Bin condition, meaning some scratches or dents which I have no problem with to an extent. How was the condition of the item you received?

#2: Was it worth it? Whatever they sent you, is it actually worth what you paid? (don't factor in quality of the show/story, just if the item is worth the amount paid)

#3: For the more expensive Blind Boxes ($10 and $25), did you get one item, or multiple items? If so, were the items related at all or random?

My main objective is to determine if the Blind Boxes are worth it. I wouldn't mind getting random volumes of a series I haven't read/watched, as long as monetarily it is worth it. With this thread I also hope to get a picture of what kind of item a person tends to get: anime, manga, accessory, or other.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:43 am Reply with quote
I've gotten three blind boxes so far:

$1: A set of art cards from RightStuf's Boogiepop Phantom LE. I thought about using them as bookmarks, but they've ended up just collecting dust.

$1(via coupon sponsored by Sentai): Welcome to the NHK vol 1. Not the least bit interested, but at least it was free.

$5: Witch Hunter Robin Complete Collection

Nothing looked damaged on any of them. The last two definitely meet the "serious value" bit mentioned, as does the first if you think of the cards as bookmarks(otherwise I'd have no idea what price you'd give something like that).
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:46 am Reply with quote
I know the cheap blind boxes are there, so if you need a couple more bucks to get free shipping, you add them on to get it. The price of the box reflects on the amount, like a cheap $1 one would be a really cheap item, like a bargain bin DVD from any series of any volume.

Personally, instead of a cheap blind buy for free shipping, I would just add some Japanese candy or playing cards.

Polycell wrote:
$5: Witch Hunter Robin Complete Collection

Lucky on that one.

I don't think Witch Hunter Robin was that big of a seller. It's one of the few Bandai titles that haven't been out of stock when they said they were going to stop printing in November.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:39 am Reply with quote
ugh...
dont just add like 5 of them to your cart randomly, lol

just if you need to get free shipping throw one or two in
or if you have a big order throw one or two in
I recommend you get the more expensive blind box if you plan to actually 'watch' something

your other option:
PC games!
they sell a few old dating sims for like 5$
I think Ai yori aoshi was one of them
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:48 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
I think Ai yori aoshi was one of them

It's $9 and no counter
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:10 am Reply with quote
There's a thread dedicated to the stuff you can get from these.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:35 pm Reply with quote
^Thanks a ton for the link!

Polycell wrote:
I've gotten three blind boxes so far....
Wow, those last 2 were a really good deal. Thanks for giving me an idea of what to expect.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I personally would never go for this, since I don't want to take the chance of paying for something I don't want or already have. Although, a couple times they've sent me things, free, as a gift which probably comes from the same pile of stuff as the Blind Bundles.

Rumbling Hearts volume 1-Loved it and went and bought the rest of the series afterward. Also, it got me to check out more of the romance genre of anime.

Some random volume of Meet the Fuccons or something like that-Never even watched it, because the cover was "kill it with fire" hideous and the description on the back wasn't interesting. It was donated to Good Will after it (unsurprisingly) didn't sell in my garage sale.
batou37

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote
On my last purchase I did a $25 and $10 blind buy. The $10 was Gantz season 1 part 2 new, and the $25 was Utena box 2 L.E new. I think overall I like the idea of the blind boxes but I was disappointed with what I got (no interest in either especially since they were the mid part of seasons.) I think I would like it better if there was at least some hint of what it was, perhaps a list of 10-15 items in each category and then I would know if I wanted to take the chance on it.
Jon182

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:06 am Reply with quote
I spent $5 and got the limited edition of Eureka 7 vol.3. It was somewhat squished, but I think it was undamaged. Was it good value? I'm not sure, it's worth more than the five dollars I paid, but it was the middle volume of an expensive series. I had no interest in the show, so I gave it to my brother who is a fan.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:07 pm Reply with quote
After hearing the good things people got from the $1, $5, and $10 blind boxes I decided to get a $10 one to top off my order. Ended up getting pretty much the most worthless DVD ever (Otaku Unite).

Never again.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
As it should be easy to tell, there's certainly a lot of room for variation here. It's not something I'm going to use frequently, to be honest, but I was sent the second half of the GaoGaiGar TV series for $10 and that was nice enough.
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:56 pm Reply with quote
edit

Last edited by Bright_Spear on Tue May 06, 2014 2:45 am; edited 1 time in total
EricDent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Got a couple of the $10 kind.
Let's see:

1: Eureka Seven Volume 7 (with series box, T-Shirt, and manga volume). This was seriously beat up, the box was dented all to heck (though it's a really thin box). Since I did not have the rest (not that interested in this series) I sold everything except the t-shirt (threw away the box).

2: The Meloncholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Limited Edition Volume 1 (with CD, Iron On, & Armband).
In good condition. Though since I already had the normal version, I sold everything except the Iron On & Armband.

Not really "worth" much cause I did not get anything useful and the $ they gave me for these was really low (I sold them to Half Price Books).
The only reason was to get free shipping, and I most likely won't bother with them again.
Sensei Terry Silver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I took the bait three times.

- One $ 10 gave me Boys Be.... ( It's not the kind of series I would normally consider......meh, harmless stuff )

- One $ 10 gave me Baccano! (which is a hell of a bargain except that I already own the series )

- One $25 gave me the complete collection of Saiyuki ( Great price for any 50 episodes series.....but IMO, this show blows. The only reason I'd go watch another episode is in hope that the show will get worthwhile at some point )

Of those boxsets, the cover slip of Baccano was bent a bit in one of the corners. It's the only "damage" I ever received from all of my items bought in bargain bin condition.

I don't know if I would ever buy anytime soon another blind box item . Maybe I'd go for $10 since I think that you can't really get something worthwhile for $1 or $5. I don't think I'll ever go again for the $25 blind buy. At that price, it's better to buy a complete season (or having ~ 2/3 of the money) of a show you chose.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2