• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl Opens Up Your World in 2013!

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
LANGUAGE: Japanese audio, English subtitles*Nonremovable

Does anyone know why this is? I haven't bought any anime from NIS before, so I dont know if this is normal. But why is it hardsubbed? Seems kind of bizarre.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:25 am Reply with quote
it is the new trend in preventing reverse-importation

I believe bunny drop has it also
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:16 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure "nonremovable" just means forced, not hardsubs. Licensed players wouldn't be able to suppress them, but most computer media players would.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:56 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
I'm pretty sure "nonremovable" just means forced, not hardsubs. Licensed players wouldn't be able to suppress them, but most computer media players would.
I'll be honest, I'm asking mostly because I'm obsessed with taking screenshots and having subtitles on them pretty much ruins them for my collection. Second reason is I'm learning Japanese and sometimes when I'm feeling confident I like to attempt to watch things "raw" to see how much I can understand. If anyone is sure 100% whether or not PC media players are able to disable subs on NIS stuff, I would be very happy to know. I'll probably get this anyway though, I loved this series.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:36 am Reply with quote
you cannot legally take screenshots of bluray, so either way you are going to have to use techniques that some might consider 'sploitz'
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:00 am Reply with quote
I don't think taking screenshots of BDs is itself illegal in any way. Breaking the on-disc or HDCP encryption to do so probably is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:23 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
you cannot legally take screenshots of bluray, so either way you are going to have to use techniques that some might consider 'sploitz'
What? Is this for real? I've never heard of such a law. It doesn't even make sense to be a law. DVDs are fine but screenshots on bluray are illegal? I just keep my images private on my hard drive, is that still against the law? Does anyone have a link to this law? I just tried to find it and kept coming up with websites that host thousands of Bluray screenshots...on the first page. Im thinking if this was really was illegal then these websites wouldn't exist, especially not on the first page of google results. I'm leaning toward Shiroi Hane's statement being true.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote
its not a law per se, but its an agreement sony has with the MPAA and is part of the bluray licensing terms.
all legitimate bluray players have the screen shot function disabled.

of course, you can legally take as many screen shots as u want, with a camera and such. but breaking the software is illegal like shiroi said, which is what most people do - hence, you are all criminals! j/k
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:12 pm Reply with quote
The screenshot facility in licensed BD playback software has been disabled, since it was technically possible to screenshot every frame and recompose the whole film (how plausible I really don't know and rather moot given there are a lot of easier ways now but...)

The analogue hole still exists - while Digital HD connections are HDCP encrypted end-to-end you could still output in SD over analogue and capture that way without falling foul of the DCMA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
AlanMintaka

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:20 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

The analogue hole still exists - while Digital HD connections are HDCP encrypted end-to-end you could still output in SD over analogue and capture that way without falling foul of the DCMA.

Technically at least, you don't necessarily have to capture in SD via "analogue". You can capture 1080i HD video using component video and not be affected by HDCP protection.

Whether or not this approach violates DCMA is another question. However, since using component video captures is not really "breaking" HDCP, it's probably an arguable issue.

Personally, I don't think that anyone doing whatever they want to do with recordings they own, in the privacy of their own homes, and without distributing and/or selling copies, is none of any government's or corporation's business.

Alan Mintaka
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1