• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Release formats + regions

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Is there a good reason, other than that is just the way it developed, that release format and language options are coupled the way they are?

Having four entries for DVD and BD etc makes finding the right option more difficult than it could be, whereas having DVD/BD/VHS etc in one dropdown and dub/sub/raw in another would bpth simplify things, and make adding new formats easier (i.e. there is currently only one option for BD+DVD combos which I have highlighted before)

I'm not sure the current region system is ideal either; it implies that all US discs are region 1 or A which is not always the case; some FUNimation BDs are A+B for example, and I have some US Kiddy Grade DVDs that are 1,2+4 and Rightstuf's Boogiepop Phantom discs which are All Region. Would grouping disc releases by country of origin (US, AU and UK per the current editions of the site) rather than "region" perhaps be better?

We're also getting to the point where the release list in pages like Naruto (manga) fill a whole screen and I wondering if sorting the list in reverse date order and collapsing the older releases under a [more..] link mightn't be beneficial? Along similar lines, perhaps hiding the AU and UK releases by default when viewing the US site might save a bit of space on some pages.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Would grouping disc releases by country of origin (US, AU and UK per the current editions of the site) rather than "region" perhaps be better?

Quote:
Along similar lines, perhaps hiding the AU and UK releases by default when viewing the US site might save a bit of space on some pages.

I agree with these two solutions. Madoka Magica looks like a mess, and it's because the UK and AU are mixed in with the US stuff. I'd prefer a look like this:

Blu-Ray (Region A)
  • Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Blu-Ray 1) 2012-02-14 (from $39.98)
  • Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Blu-Ray 2) 2012-04-10 (from $39.98)
  • Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Blu-Ray 3) 2012-06-12 (from $39.98)

Blu-Ray + DVD combo
  • Puella Magi Madoka Magica [Limited Edition with CD] (BD+DVD 1) 2012-02-14 (from $74.98)
  • Puella Magi Madoka Magica [Limited Edition with CD] (BD+DVD 2) 2012-04-10 (from $74.98)
  • Puella Magi Madoka Magica [Limited Edition with CD] (BD+DVD 3) 2012-06-12 (from $74.98)

DVD (Region 1)
  • Puella Magi Madoka Magica (DVD 1) 2012-02-14 (from $29.98)
  • Puella Magi Madoka Magica (DVD 2) 2012-04-10 (from $29.98)
  • Puella Magi Madoka Magica (DVD 3) 2012-06-12 (from $29.98)

UK Releases [see more]
AU Releases [see more]

US stuff should also probably use the [see more] option as well when they reach a certain point. Yu Yu Hakusho and DBZ look terrible, for instance. I don't know exactly how you would break it up, though. Show the first ten releases from reverse order and hide the rest? Also, on that note, I fully endorse reverse list order so that the newer releases are shown first.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1