• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Can't Fight Fate

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Nice article. I didn't expect you would write one about the Fate series.

It's a shame that there's no legitimate way to read the original visual novel. Long winded as it is, it's a good story (or stories, what with all the different paths and endings).
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Too bad you can't buy Fate/Unlimited Codes from PSN anymore, as Capcom took it down, permanently. This is why DD-only methods stink. I didn't have the funds to get it then, but now that I'm interested in it, well, there's no legal way of getting it, since you can't get it second hand Sad
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Too bad you can't buy Fate/Unlimited Codes from PSN anymore, as Capcom took it down, permanently. This is why DD-only methods stink. I didn't have the funds to get it then, but now that I'm interested in it, well, there's no legal way of getting it, since you can't get it second hand Sad

Actually, you *might* still be able to get it from Gamestop.com. The product key GS sends you still works even after it got taken down. This has been tested by several people, so as long as it hasn't sold out yet, you should still be able to get it, and if for some reason you buy it and your key doesn't work they should give you a refund.
inquis122

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Playing the original FSN on PC is really quite easy. Most import shops(heck even Fakku sometimes has it in) can get you the original game and then you just have to download the translation patch from MirrorMoon. Thats all legal too...
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Wow, my experience with the Fate franchise pretty much matches the article. I'm glad I wanted to watch Fate/Zero because the waiting each week would have been torture. I ended up watching the entire thing in two days.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote
It's trivially simple to run VNs on your computer. You spent longer typing about how you didn't want to than it would take to actually getting running
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:

Actually, you *might* still be able to get it from Gamestop.com. The product key GS sends you still works even after it got taken down. This has been tested by several people, so as long as it hasn't sold out yet, you should still be able to get it, and if for some reason you buy it and your key doesn't work they should give you a refund.

What a great loophole! I don't hack my systems, so it's not like getting the game by other means would've been an option for me, anyways (plus I don't do that, anyways). Sad, I remember shortly before it went down it was on sale... I hope my $5 off Power Up coupon can work towards it. Never used the coupons towards digital goods, so I hope it does work.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
It's trivially simple to run VNs on your computer. You spent longer typing about how you didn't want to than it would take to actually getting running

That depends on if mike wants the voice patch which requires the ps2 version of the game along with the patch which is hard as hell to come by now. The patch Its self has to rip the voices and place them in the folder unless you want to go through a 100hr plus vn with-out any voices and I don't recommend that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

That depends on if mike wants the voice patch which requires the ps2 version of the game along with the patch which is hard as hell to come by now. The patch Its self has to rip the voices and place them in the folder unless you want to go through a 100hr plus vn with-out any voices and I don't recommend that.

I did it.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

I did it.

I'm not saying that you didn't but it's around a 2hr install and you need two copies of the same game to get the va patch to work, not everyone has that kind of income or patience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Razzuel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:13 pm Reply with quote

Huh? The only extra thing you need for voices is the PS2 game.

The English patch acts as the game installer, so it's incredibly easy to set up the game. Just get a copy of the game, run the patch, and then the game will be installed. If you want voices, then all you have to do is select the choice in the installer that you want voices and insert the PS2 disc whenever the installer asks for it.

Also, the English patch is still readily available on Mirror Moon's website.

So yeah, it's easy peasy.

The only "difficult" thing would be if you wanted the Realta Nua stuff, and I highly recommend it — the Realta Nua stuff adds the best fight in the whole story to the game. That requires downloading a separate patch and placing a file in the game's installation directory.
Beized

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote
It is a bit unreasonable to expect people to pay $115 dollars to import the game from Japan, another $90 for a copy of the PS2 version if they want the voices and extra CGs, all with international shipping fees on top of that, which is a shame. Sure, the anime isn't as good as the original game, but its serviceable, hardly the worst adaption ever. The really bummer, especially for people turned on to the franchise by Fate/Zero, is that the third part of the game has no anime adaption. This is the part that follows up on Zouken and Sakura, really gets into the full realization of Kotomines wishes for the grail after spoiler[witnessing the horror it unleashed at the end of FZ], and actually explains what the grail really is and whats possessing it. Essentially we're missing the end of the franchise.

I think there's still a faint hope we might see the VN this side of the Pacific though. Its getting re-released all the time in Japan, most recently on the Vita, and they back ported the cleaned up PS2 version to the PC not long before that. That's probably our best hope, though given its position as the single biggest VN franchise of all time, the amount of money they probably want for a license is way beyond what it could reasonably be expected to make. Still, they managed to license Extra, and Unlimited Codes, and that gives me hope.

And just because its cool, here's a picture of Shakespeare as caster.

http://s1.zerochan.net/Shakespeare.600.789757.jpg
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

I'm pretty sure you just have to stick the DVD in and run the the installer for the English patch. No need to mess with installing the Japanese version first.

Experiencing Fate in any form other than the original VN is worthless. The anime will give you an abridged version of the first 2/3rds of the story, but you'll still be missing the grand finale. Heaven's Feel is where everything is revealed and comes together as a whole.

I hope somebody licenses the Vita version.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote
What were you in Pittsburgh for? We could've hung out >:
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I've seen Fate/Stay Night but I didn't care for it, I own the BD movie because I enjoyed it but I had no idea how the fansub ended up on my computer and while Fate/Zero is in my Hulu list, I have little interest in watching it thanks to Aniplex {Dubbed and priced to own is why I watch anime which is everything Aniplex of America is not.}

My biggest complaint: Yeah, the story being created by a bunch of fanwriters makes sense when you consider the fact the writers don't follow their own magic/summoning rules. Unlimited Blade Works is based on a paradox and as such, all prevailing logic is immediately thrown out the window for some good character drama and action scenes. Intricate Plotting and info dumps? Not their strong suit so you're better off skipping them anyway.

I thought the Fate/Stay Night anime became more of a harem as the series progressed, not less; That's the only reason Rin stayed in the series past whichever episode she became unnecessary to the story.

And yes, the overall plot's well researched? Somehow, the fact that someone has time and access to a computer doesn't impress me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6