• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Watashi Ni XX Shinasai!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm crazy in love with this manga. And it's getting released in America come November titled 'Missions of Love'.
Though that's no use to me because I have all the Japanese volumes. Anime hyper (yes, I can read them)

Does anyone else here read this? Who are your favorite characters/couples?

I am Team Shigure for life. Anime hyper He's my favorite Tooyama Ema character! I hate Akira with a passion that burns brighter than a thousand suns. The AkiraxYukina couple? Even more so! Could there possibly be two people in the manga world more WRONG for each other!?

........but I like AkiraxMami ._.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:35 am Reply with quote
I was going to start reading this in scans, but I've decided to wait until the volumes come out. It seems fun though. Have you read any other of Ema Toyama's stuff, Chiibi? I really liked I Am Here! especially since I was a terminally shy teenager, so it really resonated with me.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Indeed, I started collecting when she first debuted. Anime hyper Because her art was so cute, I fell in love. The first one I read was "Gokkun! Pucho~" (Pixie Pop in English >_>) I read all her shoujo ones after that.

I am Here is the cutest thing ever. I was also able to relate to Hikage a lot. I did not have friends in middle school and most of high school. ._.

I read the scans online but then I bought the manga when it came to America. Sucks we got screwed out of THREE pieces of cover art though. D:

........*need Tooyama Ema artbook!!*

She's one of my favorites, definitely.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote
@Chiibi: Too bad that I couldn't cover her visit to Taiwan this August anymore (shrug), as my previous coverage proved to be too time and energy consuming for both myself and other staff of ANN, but received too little attention from our readership.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ryomafuji

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Does anyone else here read this? Who are your favorite characters/couples?

I am Team Shigure for life. Anime hyper He's my favorite Tooyama Ema character! I hate Akira with a passion that burns brighter than a thousand suns. The AkiraxYukina couple? Even more so! Could there possibly be two people in the manga world more WRONG for each other!?

........but I like AkiraxMami ._.

I read this and I really like the AkiraxYukina couple. I hate the shigurexYukina couple but I have a strong feeling shigure and Yukina are gonna end up with each other. Sad
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
ryomafuji wrote:
I read this and I really like the AkiraxYukina couple. I hate the shigurexYukina couple but I have a strong feeling shigure and Yukina are gonna end up with each other. Sad

Dear ryomafuji, if you have caught up with th recent chapters, you will learn that AkiraxYukina is probably the worst couple in shoujo history.

Here are the reasons:

1.spoiler[Akira unhealthily clings to her only because his parents died. He doesn't even go out to make other friends. He's obsessed with her and depends on her so much and he is ridiculously needy. He doesn't even care that Yukina is using him. This means that he has no self-respect OR pride. Such a person is too immature to even be in a relationship with someone.]

2.spoiler[Yukina uses him like a tissue when Shigure is not in her reach. She stays with him out of pity, not out of love.]

3.spoiler[When Akira sees how serious Shigure is about Yukina, he tries to find his weakness in order to sabotage him. Meanwhile, Shigure has never even THOUGHT of doing such a thing to Akira.]

4.spoiler[When Akira doesn't get his way, he goes psycho on her. He handles her roughly and takes advantage of her naivete and her weaknesses every chance he gets. She told him she is comfortable with him so what does he do? Try to break her trust. How does he do this? He tries to undress her while they're on a date. Later he ties her up on the couch and starts to LICK her as she struggles, gleefully stating "No one can come save you. I can do whatever I want to you because you trust me, right?" What. The. Hell. Rapist much?]

In short, Akira is a terrible person when he's around Yukina. He's no good for her and she's no good for him. Mami is the only character he acts like a human being with. And this is a recent development.

Regarding ShigurexYukina:

They are a good couple

Yes, in the beginning, they were bitter enemies. People were off-put that Shigure did not treat Yukina well. But what they failed to remember was that Yukina was the more intimidating one and Shigure was merely trying to defend himself against her commands. But gradually the two came to care about each other very much. So much in fact that Shigure falls head over heels for her and starts treating her with genuine love and respect. Akira had always tried to be Yukina's prince but he gets super-jealous over Shigure and it brings out a very dark side in him.

Thus, eventually the two boys somewhat end up trading places: Shigure becomes more like a gentleman, whereas Akira becomes 'the bad one'.
ryomafuji

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I agree that he is clingy and she just stays with him because she doesn't want him to be lonely but about akira's dark side. personally I really like it and the reason he is rough with her is because she doesn't see him as a man. Akira trying to find shigures weakness just means that he is jealous and proves that he loves her. Laughing
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I do not like Akira's dark side because I do not like abusive men like that. It's borderline rape! >_>
But see, I don't think he actually loves her. It's an obsession. A really bad one. If he truly loved her, he wouldn't have done those things and he'd respect her a lot more.

Jealousy doesn't always mean you are in love with someone. Friends can get jealous over other friends paying attention to someone else, children get jealous over siblings being favored by parents, hell, even pets can get jealous.

My male dog used to bark and growl if my dad hugged my mom! He thought my mom should only belong to HIM!

It was pretty funny. Laughing

Anyway, I think Mami and Akira are PERFECT for each other. They're awfully similar and Mami is already starting to like him. Wink

I personally believe that Shigure doesn't try to sabotage Akira because....he is the better person and has higher morals than Akira does. I mean, look, Akira and Yukina are 'dating' and Shigure doesn't try to wreck it. He's just like "....yeah, whatever. T___T"
But inside, he's really hurt.
I would choose the current Shigure over Akira a thousand times over. Actually I would get a restraining order against Akira if I was Yukina. Anime hyper
ryomafuji

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I get the point with the jealousy thing but I think akira's dark side is cool it shows that he is a man. Shigure doesn't sabotage akira because he is spineless though its funny to see him jealous since he is usually compossed. Very Happy by the way funny story! Laughing
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:21 pm Reply with quote
But a man's manliness shouldn't be defined by how forceful he is with girls. :/ At least, that's my opinion.
Jealous Shigure=total win. :]

Yes, dogs are funny creatures. Anime hyper I love them!
ryomafuji

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:20 am Reply with quote
Don't get me wrong I like jealous shigure because he stops being so composed which makes him do rash things for yukina.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:50 pm Reply with quote
So then...why don't you like them as a couple? :< Just curious.
ryomafuji

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:15 pm Reply with quote
This is my opinion but when read manga or watch anime when I know who they are gonna end up with I find my self rooting for the guy she is not gonna end up with so even if you ask me I dunno my self.
guess I'm wierd that way. hahaha Laughing
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Rather than trying to decide who should end up with who, why not just wait and see what the author has in store for us. If you like someone's storytelling trust them.

If you have read ahead of the physical release, please don't tell us. Laughing Lets discuss this after the fact.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote
ryomafuji wrote:
This is my opinion but when read manga or watch anime when I know who they are gonna end up with I find my self rooting for the guy she is not gonna end up with so even if you ask me I dunno my self.
guess I'm wierd that way. hahaha Laughing

Lol, I'm the exact opposite.

Alan45 wrote:
Rather than trying to decide who should end up with who, why not just wait and see what the author has in store for us.

Judging that the canon pair is ALWAYS on the front cover together and the story revolves around nearly just them....it's not exactly the matter of choosing. It's a definite fact.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2