• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Suggest your questions for the Shinichiro Watanabe interview

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Hello all.

I will have the privilege of interviewing Mr. Shinichiro Watanabe during his visit to Houston in Feb. In the vein of the Sunday Spotlight, here is the chance for you to suggest questions for me to ask him. Please try and keep your thoughts well formulated, and avoid repeat posting of similar questions. I'll take all of your questions, decide which ones I think are best, and use them along with my own questions at the interview.
xanbcoo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:22 pm Reply with quote
If you're not already asking, you could take the usual questions. Stuff like what inspired certain things about Bebop, Macross, Champloo, possible future projects, origin stories of past projects, etc. Those would all be interesting (I'm thinking of the Kanno-Edward inspiration in particular). Why are Champloo and Bebop so linked with the styles of music he chose (and why did he choose them)?

You could ask about the films he did for the Animatrix as well. What was it like working with the Wachowsky (sp?) bros? What does he think of those projects?

Maybe you could ask about what he thinks about the development of animes produced with CG and which style he prefers. I've also wondered what other directors (Japanese and American) he admires or respects. Have any other filmmaker's been an influence on his work as a director? What about music? What are his favorite bands, or singers?

Good luck.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:43 am Reply with quote
Will you and the other Nabeshin ever do a project together? Would you like to work with Monkey Punch?
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:48 am Reply with quote
- If he had any particular thoughts/opinions about the American Cowboy Bebop theatrical run, or lack thereof.

- If he wants to push for higher animation quality in his future projects?

- Any opinions about Ameircan animation, feature film and/or tv?

- Um....favorite flavor of ice cream?

Just kidding. You really don't have to ask that last one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:33 pm Reply with quote
xanbcoo wrote:
If you're not already asking, you could take the usual questions.

I plan to include the basics, but I'm trying to make sure I cover what you guys want to know. I'm hoping someone will pitch some stuff in from left field that will be good. By the way, you'll see my writeup of the interview here on ANN. So if there's something you want to know from him ask away.
novem

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:11 pm Reply with quote
If he could tell us more about 'Twilight World', the part of the Studio4C anthology 'Genius Party' he's directing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:26 pm Reply with quote
You guys don't have anything you want to ask?!?

This is not going to be a short interview. I've managed to schedule a very large chunk of time for this. In any case, I'm going to start working on my questions, so now would be an easy time to fit other ones in.
xanbcoo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
You guys don't have anything you want to ask?!?

xanbcoo wrote:
You could ask about the films he did for the Animatrix as well. What was it like working with the Wachowsky (sp?) bros? What does he think of those projects?

Maybe you could ask about what he thinks about the development of animes produced with CG and which style he prefers. I've also wondered what other directors (Japanese and American) he admires or respects. Have any other filmmaker's been an influence on his work as a director? What about music? What are his favorite bands, or singers?

These are my suggustions/what I want to ask. Also, perhaps what his favorite American movies, or television shows are. I think that'd be interesting to know.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:46 pm Reply with quote
xanbcoo wrote:

These are my suggustions/what I want to ask. Also, perhaps what his favorite American movies, or television shows are. I think that'd be interesting to know.

I see the responses that have been given already, I just figured it would garner more interest from the forum at large. That's fine though, I'm sure my questions will be quite interesting, but I would have guessed that others might have wished to give their input as well. I'll definitely run with the ideas I have received so far.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:51 am Reply with quote
Is it true another Animatrix is in the works? You've mentioned before you enjoy Hollywood films like the Matrix. Which ones inspired your work? Are there any American shows which you enjoyed in the past or currently enjoy?
AutoGyro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Could you ask him,

"We've heard that you're a fan of Lupin the 3rd, and that it has had influence on Cowboy Bebop. Being a Lupin the 3rd fan, do you think you would like to work on a Lupin the 3rd project, like the next summer special, or maybe a new series? If you do end up working on a Lupin project, where would you like to take the franchise?"

That would be great Anime hyper Anime hyper Very Happy

Shinichiro Watanabe is coming do Detroit too, but I'll be too busy to go see him Sad. I hope you have fun!
Space_cowboy64

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:00 pm Reply with quote
hey could u ask him

- what gives him his inspiration for both champloo and bebop. how did he formulate such a brilliant story and narrative for both

- could u also ask him if he had in mind some of spike's personality and traits when coming up with mugen.

- one final one, just wondering if he was ever going to make anything in the future to do with the two series like perhaps another bebop film or a champloo film. or just what he has planned for the future.

thanks Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:30 pm Reply with quote
1. What kind of music do you prefer listening to?,

2. what brought you into hip hop Culture, and inspired you to make Samurai Champloo?

3. What do you think of the explosion of Japanese pop Culture in the us?

and of course the obligatory questions:

1. where do you take your character influences from?

2. desecribe an average day in the life of Shinichiro Watanabe.

3. what would you be doing if you weren't making anime.

4. how did you get your start in the business?
Phate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:42 pm Reply with quote
What are some of your favorite anime?

Who are your heroes? Who do you admire?

Have you ever considered directing live action?

Bebop used jazz, Champloo used hip hop, what will be the driving force behind your next project? Classic rock, maybe? (Heh, I can dream)

And of course... What is the meaning of life?
rektagunn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:32 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:

I see the responses that have been given already, I just figured it would garner more interest from the forum at large. That's fine though, I'm sure my questions will be quite interesting, but I would have guessed that others might have wished to give their input as well. I'll definitely run with the ideas I have received so far.

It's probably because it's in the Events thread. Even though it is the appropriate thread for the subject matter, most of the posts come from the Anime thread.

Anyways, my question...

You can ask about his take on the other works of anime directors. Right off the bat, I'd be really interested in what he thinks about Hideaki Anno, Mamoru Oshii, and Satoshi Kon's etc. works.

I'm always interested in how these directors think of each other especially as it relates to their view on anime culture and where it's headed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3