Forum - View topic
When is this going to switch to an "on demand" setup?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Neon Alley
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neon Alley Moderator
Company Representative

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Ah no worries!
Its a good thing really~ It just means that you're passionate about the stuff we're putting out there. Do you know how many businesses would kill to have fans like you?

There aren't that many pink eraser conventions out there, ya know. ( no offense to people who love pink erasers of course. I personally prefer the Staedtler ones myself) **

** other legal note: This comment may not reflect the views of anyone else on the Neon Alley team or its partners. ***

*** also, I've always wanted to do that.
publicenemy333
He started itHe started it

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:42 am Reply with quote
I'd suggest, so people don't abuse it, that some kinda limits be had on a DVR set up. Example, you can only have lets say up to 5 different episodes or a certain number of hours (like only up to 2 hours) saved at a time. That or maybe put a time limit on it, like the episode you recorded will only be on the memory within a week or two

That way the DVR doesnt get abused and Viz wouldn't have to worry about people using this to completely get around buying physical copies.

I actually don't mind the idea of this being a channel, but it does still need to be up to the standards and conveniences of today's anime standards. Yeah, today's anime fan is a bit spoiled that way, but hey, it is what it is. Still, I like the channel idea, I like seeing the ads and eye catches, love seein Richie Branson's song play. Kinda an old school feel, but I like that. Its an idea that can still work

They just have to make some adjustments to make it more convenient. And they gotta fix all these freezing issues. I mean seriously, I missed like 5 minutes of the new Tiger and Bunny
Neon Alley Moderator
Company Representative

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote
We just had an update. So hopefully the freezing issues will be solved to some extent. There can still be some issues if you live in an area with a bad connection. That unfortunately, we haven't figured out how to fix that yet.

As for the limits on the DVRing, I wonder if people will be mad if there's a limit. I wonder if it should be unlimited, but to catch up on the last 10 days of episodes?

We're still new to this whole thing, so the possibilities are endless. Very Happy
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Of course people will be mad if there's a limit. The only limit should be what your DVR's HDD can store, or in this case, your Tripple. If U-Verse only allowed me to record a few hours of programming, I'd be furious. "DVR abuse" my foot, DVR is about convenience for your customers. It's not even an issue of being spoiled anime brats, this is what people expect when they pay for linear TV service that includes a DVR. Either go all in or not at all.
Divineking

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I don't necessairly mind a limit if the limit is to how long you can DVR shows for rather than how many you can. Since the end goal of the service is to (presumably) push DVD/BD releases, I can understand that doing anything that would allow people to have permante access to these shows would be counterproductive.

I'd say 10-14 days would be pretty reasonable.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Neon Alley Moderator wrote:
We just had an update. So hopefully the freezing issues will be solved to some extent. There can still be some issues if you live in an area with a bad connection. That unfortunately, we haven't figured out how to fix that yet.

Well tonight the channel froze up once during the Blue Exorcist premier and twice during Nura: Risa of the Yoki Clan, so are you sure this update is implemented yet? Thing is, it's possible it has been implemented because I was able to leave and re-enter NA without it crashing my PS3 or the act of doing it making my PS3 make weird noises. I also noticed over the last week that NA will freeze up and if I'm not in the room to restart it I'm getting a message (from NA) that I'm no longer on the stream and it gives me a option to re-join or quit. That's a good addition, FWIW.

Still, having a show freeze up twice actually worse than usual for me, so the issue isn't fixed. Also, one other thing. My TV info (I have a Samsung) says I'm receiving a HD signal, so I'm not sure my internet is the issue, per se. BTW, I've never mentioned this before, because I forgot (sorry Embarassed ), but I have fiber optic for my Internet. So it should be fairly good internet stream, though it doesn't rule out issues on my end (I never discount that happening - your Internet is only as good as your provider and your wireless set up, IMO).

Quote:
As for the limits on the DVRing, I wonder if people will be mad if there's a limit. I wonder if it should be unlimited, but to catch up on the last 10 days of episodes?

We're still new to this whole thing, so the possibilities are endless. Very Happy

I have to say that after several weeks of Neon Alley I think DVRing, even limited, would be a godsend. It's depressing how fast we get spoiled Sad . I really could use a "pause" function for NA, so when I need to leave the room or take a phone call. I'd also love to be able to rewind and re-watch the credits slower so I could read some of the English VA's names in shows that give specific credits.

Still, NA needs to fix the freezing issue first. No amount of DVRing is going to work if it freezes up.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I can deal with the occasional small freeze up and the occasional dip in video/audio quality.

But what really gets me is the skipping. There have been times where I've seen it skip entire MINUTES ahead.

When I'm forced to miss out on potentially important scenes and dialog, it ruins the show for me. And that is really not cool.

It hasn't done it as often lately, but it still acts up from time to time. You guys should definitely look into that.
Sir Gallantmon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote

I've got a fairly awesome connection for my area (MetroCast Starkville - 25Mbps down, 3Mbps up, 55ms latency), but the freezing happens rather frequently at the most inopportune moments. It's rather annoying and really hurts the experience. Other times, the video will jerk around, but the audio will continue to play normally (or vice versa). It's really weird. And I have a horrible suspicion about the video codec that makes me pretty unhappy, but I don't think there's really anything that can be done about it.

I'd suggest a two week catch up. That plays well for university students (like myself) who have major projects that last a couple of weeks or so and then after we're done with them, we want to marathon and veg out for hours. As for DVR, the limit should be based on the free space available on the system. In no way should you limit how much you can record. I'd just suggest limiting how long the recording lasts.

I'd really suggest making this accessible from more than the PS3. Maybe add the Wii U and the Xbox 360.

An IPTV channel accessible from ChromeOS, Linux, Mac OS X, and WIndows PCs would be awesome. It's even easily technically feasible and there's a number of open source software packages (MythTV, XBMC, Miro, etc.) that can be used as a base for developing a Neon Alley client. Maybe even make it possible to broadcast the stream to other machines via DLNA or something else.

Also, an Android streaming/catchup app would be awesome for portable watching.
Neon Alley Moderator
Company Representative

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Ok! You may have read it in other threads, but we did an update on Tuesday for the stream. So I'm crossing my fingers that ya'll can see a difference.

I only had a couple of small quality drops but no freezing, but that could just be me.

As for the catch up how about we bug the Dev team about a 3 week catch up and we can negotiate down to two weeks?

/Plan B, we has it.
getchman
He started itHe started it

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:05 pm Reply with quote

As for the catch up how about we bug the Dev team about a 3 week catch up and we can negotiate down to two weeks?

/Plan B, we has it.

sounds good to me
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Since it's been a while I was wondering if you had any idea about how soon we can expect some kind of DVR or on-demand setup being added. I'm pretty okay with the service right now but I have seen a lot of people hesitant to try the service because it's not there even though they want to check out Fate/Zero.

I imagine the Xbox 360 version is the priority over that but I'm just curious.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Neon Alley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3