• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 2ch Forum's Anime Saimoe Tournament 2012 Quarter Finals

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Whelp, don't have much reason to care anymore Laughing

Though I guess if I had to go for some one I'd go for Nodoka. I never watched Side A so I don't know who those other two are.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Though I guess if I had to go for some one I'd go for Nodoka. I never watched Side A so I don't know who those other two are.

You should fix that, especially if you plan on watching the Nationals arc.

Also Toki's already seen ahead and won this. We can just call it now.

Edit: You will never be as hardcore as Toki
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote
watching both series, i learned something: mahjong is really confusing.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
The tournament really seems to be losing steam in the last couple years as far as number of voters. Heck, back in 2006 the champion Suiseiseki got 200 more votes in her finals match than all the votes combined in this quarter final. I wonder if there just being too many characters from one show is to blame, or if the people of 2ch just don't care much anymore about Saimoe?
TnAdct1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:10 pm Reply with quote
The results of the quarterfinals confirms it: Saimoe is in major need of restructuring.

With Madoka Magica last year and Saki this year, it's obvious that Saimoe is suffering a major problem of certain titles being too dominant for the tournament's own good (to the point that it's alienating anime fans who don't care about said shows, especially Saki).

One of the biggest problems: while it claims that it's technically possible, in truth, Saimoe has been cutting down on the amount of international votes, which actually serve as a way to keep the tournament in check and prevent some shows from being too dominant. Saimoe needs to allow international voting in order to save it from the major downfall that it's been having the last couple of years.

If not, then either Saimoe needs to start making shows that have already won the tournament ineligible for future tournament (especially if they're going to hog the final 8 slots) or do things like in 2006 and put all the "stronger" characters from a popular series in the same block.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:14 pm Reply with quote
What I'm wondering is how Saki isn't getting major antivoting. How could anyone want the finals to be all characters from one show?

TnAdct1 wrote:
If not, then either Saimoe needs to start making shows that have already won the tournament ineligible for future tournament (especially if they're going to hog the final 8 slots) or do things like in 2006 and put all the "stronger" characters from a popular series in the same block.

I think the best way to do it would be to limit 2 characters per series. Do we really need every minor character from one popular show? Thats just asking for trouble.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
You should fix that, especially if you plan on watching the Nationals arc.

Eh... I debating it. While I did enjoy the first season, I wasn't particularly fond of being beaten over the head with the yuri overtext like that (I've established before that I'm not too fond of yuri) Laughing
NeverSleep

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I like Saki, but this top 8 was ridiculous, 2 characters from old series and 6 from the same series. The voting structure needs to be fixed, the number of entrants for each series need to be considered. Also blocking International votes isn't helpful at all, it reduces visibility for them, reduces the number of possible outcomes that could be totally different taking into account foreign votes... the it is now it's just proving to be a fraud.

International Saimoe sucks, there are characters from god knows how many ago competing into that, character nomination process and voting system are even worse.

Well, I don't really care about the results though, I know what I like and this won't be changed by Saimoe results.

Edit:

RyanSaotome wrote:
I think the best way to do it would be to limit 2 characters per series. Do we really need every minor character from one popular show? Thats just asking for trouble.

But some side characters can turn out to be really popular because of some meme spawned from it, like Kirame Hanada from Saki (aka Subara http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8VSYwXpu_I)

But not having a limit to the numbers of characters of one show is proving out to be the wrong choice, there are some characters from Saki participating that I didn't even know someone cared about or never seen someone at all claiming their love for them, like Toki, it's kinda like the series title alone is carrying them, and this shouldn't happen...
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
The finalists should just play mahjong instead of online poll. Makes you wonder about the legitimacy of this if Biglobe polls have more votes than competitions like this.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:44 pm Reply with quote
TnAdct1 wrote:
The results of the quarterfinals confirms it: Saimoe is in major need of restructuring.

With Madoka Magica last year and Saki this year, it's obvious that Saimoe is suffering a major problem of certain titles being too dominant for the tournament's own good (to the point that it's alienating anime fans who don't care about said shows, especially Saki).

One of the biggest problems: while it claims that it's technically possible, in truth, Saimoe has been cutting down on the amount of international votes, which actually serve as a way to keep the tournament in check and prevent some shows from being too dominant. Saimoe needs to allow international voting in order to save it from the major downfall that it's been having the last couple of years.

i don't see any problem. If they popular, they win. No matter how many characters are in the tournament. The Idol Master has many characters in the tournament too.

International voting? this is for mostly Japan only. Korean has their own Saimoe type tournament too. US/International has their. It turns out that the US/International one is the worst of them all. They vote for character that's not even moe and/or from very old shows like Cowboy Bebop.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quote
NeverSleep wrote:

But not having a limit to the numbers of characters of one show is proving out to be the wrong choice, there are some characters from Saki participating that I didn't even know someone cared about or never seen someone at all claiming their love for them, like Toki, it's kinda like the series title alone is carrying them, and this shouldn't happen...

Uhh...you are aware that Toki is easily the most popular character participating on Side A, right?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
NeverSleep wrote:

Uhh...you are aware that Toki is easily the most popular character participating on Side A, right?

Thats pretty surprising since her design looks like a generic background character
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

would that be because her condition?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:02 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

would that be because her condition?

No, its because she's awesome.

There's a reason the show is frequently called "Toki -Senriyama-hen"
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote
oh, that's nice
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3