• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai to Release Samurai Champloo Film Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedComet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Any clue to what a film-manga is? Surprised I don't know what it is.
Pyoko

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Probably like a regular manga/comic but instead of hand-drawn panels it has screenshots from the anime. Personally I've never really understood why anyone would buy such a thing.
arxane

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is going to be awesome, and I'll bet it's just as successful as Geneon's film manga version of "Trigun"...

...oh, wait.
RedComet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I thought that was called an ani-manga.
Pyoko

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Film-manga, ani-manga, a complete waste of time...

I don't think it has an official name.
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I personally think it's just a waste of money. Why buy ani-manga when you can get the DVDs? Or the manga series itself?
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:58 am Reply with quote
Because not everybody watches anime. Maybe some people prefer reading it. To simply dismiss it because you already seen the anime is just being close minded to new ideas.

It can cater to more to the manga-only fan, comic crowd, hardcore fan and it work surprisingly good if done well if done correctly. Just because you feel it's useless doesn't necessary speak for everyone else.

At least it will be just as good or better than most of the regular American comic being release today even though they're screen cap, they're still artwork that was drawn. It's not as useless as you think. Anime manga, ani-manga, film manga, each company have their own name for it, all that matter is how well it's done.

arxane wrote:
Wow, this is going to be awesome, and I'll bet it's just as successful as Geneon's film manga version of "Trigun"...

...oh, wait.

I think you meant darkhorse who release the anime manga, not Geneon. Also it did do pretty well from the diamond top 100 list.
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Bwahahaha! BEI has to answere to Geneon USA for this one Twisted Evil
uberfrosch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:53 pm Reply with quote
You know, this is not a new idea. I have a box set of four "Star Trek Fotonovels" (Fotonovel is trademarked, by the way, so Animanga may be as well, which would be why different companies use different names) that use Star Trek screencaps, very bad comic book layouts, and dialog captions. They're from 1978.

I would imagine they're pretty cheap to produce, so they don't need to sell massive numbers to turn a modest profit. They appeal to younger kids, and I can see parents being willing to shill out money for a couple volumes of the Trigun Animanga instead of the larger financial commitment of buying the DVDs. Admittedly for Samurai Champloo, that's aimed at an older audience, it seems a less practical move, but the whole thing is really nothing new in publishing
uberfrosch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:54 pm Reply with quote
You know, this is not a new idea. I have a box set of four "Star Trek Fotonovels" (Fotonovel is trademarked, by the way, so Animanga may be as well, which would be why different companies use different names) that use Star Trek screencaps, very bad comic book layouts, and dialog captions. They're from 1978.

I would imagine they're pretty cheap to produce, so they don't need to sell massive numbers to turn a modest profit. They appeal to younger kids, and I can see parents being willing to shill out money for a couple volumes of the Trigun Animanga instead of the larger financial commitment of buying the DVDs. Admittedly for Samurai Champloo, that's aimed at an older audience, it seems a less practical move, but the whole thing is really nothing new in publishing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1